The problem with down votes compacting comments!

roger

Fri 12 Mar, 2021 08:46 pm
@nimh,
nimh wrote:

2 out of 25. That seems... plenty diluted?

I suppose I wasn't clear on the idea of dilution.

I was talking about so many topics outside of politics. Maybe a decade ago.
Real Music

Fri 12 Mar, 2021 11:20 pm
@engineer,
Quote:
Nah, a few, high profile actors are banned. Many, many more just continue on. Posts are not deleted, posters are not banned. FB is all about announcing their big purges, but to get a big purge, you have to have let the problem go forever which is what FB has done. FB et al are not the good actors you say they are, they are just better at PR and damage control. No one on A2K was encouraging people to storm the Capital on 1/6. Lies about vaccines are aggressively rebutted here. I'd say your typical conspiracy nut gets rough treatment here. I get the anger but directing it at A2K management seems misplaced to me. In the Internet ecosystem, we are in a small town complaining about our characters and kooks while in the big cities, there is murder and mayhem going on. Heck, I'd put our Coronavirus thread against anything on FB or Twitter even with the questionable posts. In the global fight against misinformation, A2K is not a terrible place. Could be better? Sure. Terrible? Not in my opinion.

1. Thank you for posting this.
2. I agree with you.
3. I agree with this entire post of yours.
0 Replies

Real Music

Fri 12 Mar, 2021 11:34 pm
@maxdancona,
Quote:
I believe in Free Speech for

- White Supremacists,
- LGBT activists
- Anti-War protesters
- Pro abortion
- Anti abortion
- The Native American movement
- Puerta Rican independence
- Satanists.
- Illegal Immigrants
- Muslim
- Hebrew National (both the hot dog and the crazy African resistance group)

Absolutely! I believe that people should be able to express themselves, whether it is in support of Gay Marriage or Donald Trump without "consequence or hindrance" whatever that means.

Don't forget about protestors wearing pink hats.
0 Replies

Real Music

Fri 12 Mar, 2021 11:51 pm
@maxdancona,
Quote:
I think the current trend of Public Shaming to punish people for holding the wrong ideas is a very troubling thing.

Some people might consider aspects of public shaming as being a way of expressing free speech.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Sat 13 Mar, 2021 12:11 am
@roger,
There used to be many interesting women and men on this forum, they were badgered and decided to go elsewhere....It's a shame that so much diversity has been driven out. I don't mean just women, many folks used to dip their toe into different topics only to be insulted/bored to death by haranguers. I really miss posters like LordAsWas, bobsal, Gus, BiPolarBear, Ossobucco, Firefly, and many many others. Sometimes it can be playful, well until at least until the sourpusses show up. I loves me some Roger, we don't always agree but we have fun with each other....If you're honest and reasonable you can make friends......
oralloy

Sat 13 Mar, 2021 12:19 am
@glitterbag,
Gus just posted a week or so ago.
https://able2know.org/topic/556187-1#post-7111114
0 Replies

hightor

Sat 13 Mar, 2021 03:33 am
@nimh,
Quote:
Who are shown as the last posters to post in each of those threads?

Good trolls don't stick around to the end of a thread — they drop a bomb, watch the ensuing activity, add a little accelerant from time to time, and then duck out.
oralloy

Sat 13 Mar, 2021 04:04 am
@hightor,
That is true of trolls as they are properly defined.

But I don't think anyone at a2k meets that proper definition of troll.

The term troll is often misused to mean "someone that I don't agree with". Someone who is a troll only by this improper definition will not behave that way.
hightor

Sat 13 Mar, 2021 04:12 am
@oralloy,
Quote:
But I don't think anyone at a2k meets that proper definition of troll.

Most of them have been suspended, banned, or are semi-retired.
Quote:
The term troll is often misused to mean "someone that I don't agree with".

While I often disagree with you I've never considered you to be a troll.
oralloy

Sat 13 Mar, 2021 04:21 am
@hightor,
hightor wrote:
Most of them have been suspended, banned, or are semi-retired.

I think most of those people do not meet the proper definition of troll.

I don't think JTT is a troll for example. I think he honestly believes what he writes. I do think he is insane though.

hightor wrote:
While I often disagree with you I've never considered you to be a troll.

Then you are probably using the term correctly.

I saw an actual troll on the internet once. He (or she) successfully started a big argument between Star Trek fans and Star Wars fans about which franchise's civilization would prevail if they were thrown into the same universe and went to war against each other.

I actually found the debate interesting reading though.
farmerman

Sat 13 Mar, 2021 04:33 am
@glitterbag,
you forget Edgar Blythe, he was my touch stone for much reference on illustration and cartooning. His snse of humor was often over our hads because he loved playing provocateur and he was "playing" his correspondents.
I miss him most.
My contracts will be up this summer and my legal strictures to stay off specific social sites will be up. I think I will move over to one or another. I do rn into several old A2kers on hobby and crafts sites.

hightor

Sat 13 Mar, 2021 05:35 am
@oralloy,
Quote:
I don't think JTT is a troll for example.

No, his problem was soap boxing — when combined with personal attacks it eventually reached the level of "disruptive toxic behavior" as covered in the site rules.
izzythepush

Sat 13 Mar, 2021 05:50 am
@hightor,
He would pm me about 9/11 conspiracies. It was only repeatedly telling him he would be reported that stopped him.
0 Replies

nimh

Sat 13 Mar, 2021 10:07 am
@oralloy,
Yeah, but it looks like they mostly post in the word game threads and the like.. I never go to those
0 Replies

nimh

Sat 13 Mar, 2021 10:19 am
@roger,
roger wrote:

I was talking about so many topics outside of politics. Maybe a decade ago.

Ah — oh yes. No, on that I agree.

There used to be much more of a community, which revolved around many topics that had nought to do with politics. Most of those people were already gone by the time I returned to A2K four or five years ago — the largest exodus seems to have taken a place a few years before that.

The FB group was created in 2015, I guess that was some time after the worst of the hemorrhaging. Though more people have gone since as well, of course. Which the Politics All The Time character of discussions here, and the accompanying unpleasantness, probably has a lot to do with. And the moderation controversies that inevitably ensue — some people leaving because they think moderation isn't strict enough, others because it's too strict (mostly liberals resp conservatives).

It's a shame because there's so much more to life than politics, and politics brings out the worst on a forum. I've tried starting a few non-political topics and they got some nice replies, but fizzle out fairly quickly while the political threads go on forever.
nimh

Sat 13 Mar, 2021 10:28 am
@nimh,
Though it's also easy to overinterpret the causality — once the big social media networks appeared and everyone got on Facebook, it was inevitable that discussion forums like this one would see a vast reduction of use. Pretty much all of them did.

People who used to come to Abuzz and then A2K in the early years for their random fun online interactions found plenty on Facebook and to a lesser extent Twitter, Insta, Reddit... the big networks sucked a lot of these niche boards dry. So many of the forums from back then have disappeared or gone dormant... to some extent it's kind of a miracle this forum even still exists, and it's probably only to Robert's personal commitment to keep it online regardless of losses.
0 Replies

Real Music

Sat 13 Mar, 2021 11:35 pm
@maxdancona,
Quote:
I believe in Free Speech for

- White Supremacists,
- LGBT activists
- Anti-War protesters
- Pro abortion
- Anti abortion
- The Native American movement
- Puerta Rican independence
- Satanists.
- Illegal Immigrants
- Muslim
- Hebrew National (both the hot dog and the crazy African resistance group)

Absolutely! I believe that people should be able to express themselves, whether it is in support of Gay Marriage or Donald Trump without "consequence or hindrance" whatever that means.

MILCK - Quiet (Feat. The #ICANTKEEPQUIET​ Choir) #WomensMarch

glitterbag

Sun 14 Mar, 2021 10:44 pm
@farmerman,
I'll send you a PM
0 Replies

maxdancona

Sun 14 Mar, 2021 11:28 pm
@Real Music,
Yes Real Music.

White people in pink hats have the same rights as White people in red hats. I do prefer this singing to when they just scream at each other.

The far right and the far left have this in common. No one wants to be silenced.
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/04/2024 at 03:33:53