What's the difference between a hillbilly, a redneck and a good ol' boy?

JGoldman10

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2021 10:56 am
@izzythepush,
If you are writing a series in which your main characters do a lot of travelling for example you have to do research.
izzythepush

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2021 10:58 am
@JGoldman10,
You’re not talking about fantasy, you’re talking about something based on a real place and real people.

If you want to make it realistic you need to know what it’s like, and looking stuff up online can only get you so far.
JGoldman10

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2021 11:09 am
@izzythepush,
My cartoon and/or comic series idea is FANTASY. It's BASED on something from real life.
izzythepush

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2021 11:17 am
@JGoldman10,
Exactly, a real life setting you have no experience of.
JGoldman10

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2021 11:20 am
@izzythepush,
Shut up. Please shut up. You're not helping.

I temporarily lived in West Virginia one year when my brother and I were kids once. My parents wanted to move there but nothing ever became of that. We moved back to NY.

I temporarily stayed in a rural part of NY when my family and I first moved to upstate NY a few decades ago.

I do have some idea of what rural American life is like in real life.
izzythepush

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2021 11:21 am
@JGoldman10,
When you were a kid.
Linkat

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2021 11:23 am
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:

I want to develop a cartoon and/or comics series about rednecks, hillbillies and good ol' boys.

I don't know in today's environment - don't think it is a good idea - would be likely offensive to many people - stereo types on these "categories" or people or even the opposite.
JGoldman10

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2021 11:23 am
@izzythepush,
I was in West Virginia as a kid. I stayed in a rural part of upstate NY when I was OLDER.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2021 11:26 am
@Linkat,
I want to make a throwbacky, retro cartoon and/or comics series FOR KIDS about rural American characters. There IS a market for retro stuff. I want to give kids the old-school experience of watching Saturday morning and/or weekday afternoon cartoons online. I want to give them the old-school experience of reading comics online.

I don't care about political correctness. Screw that. Mad

Kids still like comedy. That hasn't changed.
izzythepush

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2021 11:27 am
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:

If you are writing a series in which your main characters do a lot of travelling for example you have to do research.

Which can only go so far. My first novel is set in Southampton, in the second the protagonist travels to Amsterdam. My research of Amsterdam was going there quite a lot and keeping a journal.

I wouldn’t dream of writing about a place I’d never been to.
JGoldman10

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2021 11:32 am
@izzythepush,
Did you ever watch American Dad and/or Family Guy? The production teams behind both shows did research when they had the main characters visit foreign countries in some episodes.
izzythepush

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2021 11:35 am
@JGoldman10,
I have and I bet their research involved significantly more than asking questions online.

I’m surprised you watch such cartoons, I thought you would have considered them blasphemous.
JGoldman10

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2021 11:44 am
@izzythepush,
I did watch them. I stopped watching them.

I meant the production teams probably did a lot of research by looking up stuff online and by using reference materials and sources at libraries and such.
JGoldman10

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2021 11:50 am
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:

I want to make a throwbacky, retro cartoon and/or comics series FOR KIDS about rural American characters. There IS a market for retro stuff. I want to give kids the old-school experience of watching Saturday morning and/or weekday afternoon cartoons online. I want to give them the old-school experience of reading comics online.

I don't care about political correctness. Screw that. Mad

Kids still like comedy. That hasn't changed.

Yes, to be clear, I want to make a comedic cartoon and/or comics series for kids.
Linkat

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2021 11:55 am
@JGoldman10,
here you go - been done

https://www.amazon.com/Beverly-Hillbillies-Comics-Collection-1963-64/dp/1512036366

https://d1466nnw0ex81e.cloudfront.net/n_iv/600/713519.jpg
Linkat

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2021 11:58 am
@Linkat,
And this

https://d1466nnw0ex81e.cloudfront.net/n_iv/600/576373.jpg
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2021 12:03 pm
@Linkat,
I had a feeling someone was going to reference The Beverly Hillbillies and Lil' Abner at some point in this thread. Those comics are from the '60s. That doesn't count.

I want to make throwbacky, retro cartoons and/or comics for kids in general. I have a bunch of ideas for original cartoon and/or comic series.

I can do that and still instill some elements of things from the modern-day real-world into them.

I also have ideas for cartoon and/or comics series for kids that are more modern-day era.
JGoldman10

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2021 12:06 pm
@Linkat,
Since you brought up two comics series based on old sitcoms about hillbillies, both of the sitcoms these comics are based on should be rebooted and updated for modern audiences.
JGoldman10

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2021 12:08 pm
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:

I did watch them. I stopped watching them.

I meant the production teams probably did a lot of research by looking up stuff online and by using reference materials and resources at libraries and such.

-FIXED.
Linkat

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2021 12:10 pm
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:

I had a feeling someone was going to reference The Beverly Hillbillies and Lil' Abner at some point in this thread. Those comics are from the '60s. That doesn't count.

I want to make throwbacky, retro cartoons and/or comics for kids in general. I have a bunch of ideas for original cartoon and/or comic series.

I can do that and still instill some elements of things from the modern-day real-world into them.

I also have ideas for cartoon and/or comics series for kids that are more modern-day era.

You said retro - throwbacky - these are from 60s - you don't want to go back that far?

How about this

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/04/c7/42/04c742c025d165a2523a32359a1e2792.jpg
0 Replies