Jews and Tattoos

Reply Thu 14 Jul, 2005 07:29 pm
In doing some research, it appears clear that tattoos for Jews is considered a definite no-no! Cited consistently is the following verse: "You shall not make gashes in your flesh for the dead, or incise any marks on yourselves: I am the Lord" (Leviticus 19:28).
After much thought and recalling scenes from the supposedly accurately movie A Man Called Horse, I began to wonder if the prohibition referred instead to the cutting/gashing of the flesh to mourn the dead. There are other references to this act in various cultures on various sites, so to keep Judaism "pure," perhaps this frenzied act was prohibited.
Also, I am not sure "incising" covers the act of tattooing - that that was the intent. While we may never definitively know what was intended, the interpretation has evolved to mean tattooing.
Any thoughts?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 924 • Replies: 12
No top replies

Moishe3rd

Reply Thu 14 Jul, 2005 08:45 pm
Re: Jews and Tattoos
bermbits wrote:
In doing some research, it appears clear that tattoos for Jews is considered a definite no-no! Cited consistently is the following verse: "You shall not make gashes in your flesh for the dead, or incise any marks on yourselves: I am the Lord" (Leviticus 19:28).
After much thought and recalling scenes from the supposedly accurately movie A Man Called Horse, I began to wonder if the prohibition referred instead to the cutting/gashing of the flesh to mourn the dead. There are other references to this act in various cultures on various sites, so to keep Judaism "pure," perhaps this frenzied act was prohibited.
Also, I am not sure "incising" covers the act of tattooing - that that was the intent. While we may never definitively know what was intended, the interpretation has evolved to mean tattooing.
Any thoughts?

The specific reason given for not marking your body was that this was a pagan (Canaanite) mourning ritual. The pagans would slash themselves to show respect / give blood to / disfigure themselves to their death gods.
Jews were forbidden to do this.
In addition, the body of Man is considered the soul's Temple and it is forbidden to disfigure or mar this temple.
There is much discussion on this topic. For instance, the circumstances under which a woman can pierce her ears and whether it is permissible for a woman to pierce other body parts - nose and belly button, is discussed at length. Whether a man can pierce, etcetera.
The bottom line is that we are not supposed to disfigure our bodies.
0 Replies

Moishe3rd

Reply Thu 14 Jul, 2005 08:46 pm
bermbits wrote:
Any thoughts?

The specific reason given for not marking your body was that this was a pagan (Canaanite) mourning ritual. The pagans would slash themselves to show respect / give blood to / disfigure themselves to their death gods.
Jews were forbidden to do this.
In addition, the body of Man is considered the soul's Temple and it is forbidden to disfigure or mar this temple.
There is much discussion on this topic. For instance, the circumstances under which a woman can pierce her ears and whether it is permissible for a woman to pierce other body parts - nose and belly button, is discussed at length. Whether a man can pierce, etcetera.
The bottom line is that we are not supposed to disfigure our bodies.
0 Replies

diagknowz

Reply Thu 14 Jul, 2005 08:51 pm
Moishe3rd wrote:

In addition, the body of Man is considered the soul's Temple and it is forbidden to disfigure or mar this temple....The bottom line is that we are not supposed to disfigure our bodies.

AMMMMMMEN, Moishe! (And this post of yours seems to give me a hint of an answer to my question at the other thread... Very Happy )
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 14 Jul, 2005 08:53 pm
so a tat of a bearded clam is definitely right out then?
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Thu 14 Jul, 2005 08:55 pm
Heeheeeheee...farmerman, you kill me.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 14 Jul, 2005 08:56 pm
no no , you da man
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Thu 14 Jul, 2005 08:59 pm
Don't make me virtually hug you...
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 14 Jul, 2005 09:07 pm
No no, my butt still hurts from the border guards and our little " problem" the other day. I cant take any more lovin .
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 14 Jul, 2005 09:20 pm
OK, yu2.

(Did I say that?)

This makes me wonder, re face lifts, etc...
and then moving on to emergency surgery...
Is this a present point of view, perhaps for the orthodox?
I ask out of curiousity - I surmise from my acquaintances and friends that serious surgery is not a moral problem for them, but I don't know about cosmetic surgery...
0 Replies

Moishe3rd

Reply Thu 14 Jul, 2005 09:29 pm
ossobuco wrote:
OK, yu2.

(Did I say that?)

This makes me wonder, re face lifts, etc...
and then moving on to emergency surgery...
Is this a present point of view, perhaps for the orthodox?
I ask out of curiousity - I surmise from my acquaintances and friends that serious surgery is not a moral problem for them, but I don't know about cosmetic surgery...

Cosmetic surgery could be a problem, depending upon the reason for it.
Covering up or changing physical defects might be okay - one would consult their local competent rabbi.
Blowing up the boobs or the lips or streching that chin right around so it gets sewn to the back of your scalp could be a problem....
Judaism is a very case specific religion. It depends upon the circumstances....
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 14 Jul, 2005 09:33 pm
Thanks, Moishe, that was my estimation...
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 14 Jul, 2005 09:35 pm
http://www.myjewishlearning.com/daily_life/TheBody/Adorning_the_Body/Tattoo.htm

Quote:
Though a biblical ban on tattooing remains in force, a contemporary rabbi probes the prohibition's limits and explores the rationale behind it.
By Rabbi Alan Lucas

This responsum (a formal response by a rabbi to a question about proper Jewish practice) by a contemporary Conservative rabbi reviews relevant precedents and arrives at a conclusion very much like those reached by Reform and Orthodox authorities as well. One additional point raised by others is that tattoos are often desired by young people whose parents object, making it a possible violation of the precept to honor one's parents. The practical question to which Rabbi Lucas is responding has three parts: Is tattooing permitted? Would having a tattoo prevent a person from taking part in synagogue rituals? Would it preclude burial in a Jewish cemetery?

good piece

Quote:
Conclusion

Tattooing is an explicit prohibition from the Torah. However, those who violate this prohibition may be buried in a Jewish cemetery and participate fully in all synagogue ritual. While no sanctions are imposed, the practice should continue to be discouraged as a violation of the Torah. At all times a Jew should remember that we are created b'tzelem Elokim. We are called upon to incorporate this understanding into all our decisions.

Alan B. Lucas is Rabbi of Temple Beth Shalom in Roslyn Heights, New York.

Reprinted with permission from Responsa 1991-2000: The Committee on Jewish Law and Standards of the Conservative Movement, pp. 115-120,
0 Replies