Are you a collector?

gezzy

Reply Tue 25 Mar, 2003 02:22 am
Night again jjorge ;-)
0 Replies

Jim

Reply Tue 25 Mar, 2003 02:44 am
I've been a coin collector since I was a little kid. At first it was getting rolls of pennies from the bank, and trying to fill in all the spots in the albums. Several years ago my wife and I got hooked on going to coin shows, and we started buying coins at auction. I got soured on this when two of the coins I purchased from a supposedly reputable auction house came back in "body bags" from an independent third-party grading service, and the dealer wouldn't do anything about it.

Lately the missus and I have been buying uncleaned Roman coins through Ebay. Cleaning them up, and then trying to catalog them is great fun - something similar to working the word puzzles in the newspaper, only they're in a different language and the inscription isn't always all there. The only drawback is that the reference books you need to do the cataloging can be expensive.
0 Replies

gezzy

Reply Tue 25 Mar, 2003 02:50 am
Jim
First I'd like to welcome you to A2k :-) I have also been looking for coins on ebay and have already purchased a few. Do you think ebay is a good place to collect them?
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Tue 25 Mar, 2003 03:20 am
I don't actively collect stuff, but being a compulsive shopper - I just tend to accumalate stuff !!! Clothes, music, videos, booze....boy friends.

U name it .... I have more than one of it Sad
0 Replies

Jim

Reply Tue 25 Mar, 2003 04:12 am
Hi Gezzy

It all depends on what you want to collect and the price range. The uncleaned ancient roman coins we've been doing go for about two bucks apiece, so you could hardly go too far wrong. As for more expensive coins, please educate yourself about what the coins should cost before spending any money. Also, I wouldn't buy an unslabbed (not authenicated and graded by an independent third party, such as ANACS, NGC etc) coin under any circumstances if it was over around $75.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 25 Mar, 2003 08:46 am
Welcome to a2k, Jim. Hey, how did you finds us?
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Tue 25 Mar, 2003 08:59 am
Jjorge -- Now, I'm upset!

I don't mean to collect things, but somehow living in one place for a long time... the house just fills up, and being an organizer, all the postcards end up in one spot, all the odd coins in another.

Once I made a serious mistake and told one of my sisters that I had begun to collect zebra things. It became an instant way to choose a gift for me for the entire family. I've gotten a little tired of knowing every present I unwrap is likely to be striped black and white and have tried to shut off the supply, but cannot seem to make them stop.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 25 Mar, 2003 09:01 am
I am a collecter of all things big and small, ie: a packrat. I will say I collect pottery/ceramics. One might say I collect sake sets, but I only have a few so far.
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Tue 25 Mar, 2003 09:06 am
Been thinking abt what I actually buy deliberately - guess that would qualify as collecting things !

Crystal glasses - I have abt 50 odd sets
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Tue 25 Mar, 2003 10:09 am
Fifty different crystal glasses? That sounds nice. I like it when things don't all match.

Littlek -- Sake sets? I like them, too. Have you ever heard that the cups are supposed to be sold in a lucky set of five, rather than the less lucky four or six?
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Tue 25 Mar, 2003 10:11 am
Piffka dahling - 50 different sets !! Which make abt 300 odd glasses !!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 25 Mar, 2003 10:12 am
Piffka - no I hadn't, but it makes sense. I like odd numbers.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Tue 25 Mar, 2003 10:20 am
Littlek -- me, too. And I like sake as well. Hai!

Guatam! Yikes. Sets? 300 glasses? You are a collector! That's one for nearly every day of the year.
0 Replies

gezzy

Reply Tue 25 Mar, 2003 10:21 am
Jim
I'm just a small time collector of coins and I probably wouldn't spend more than $5 for one, but thanks for the advice. I do have a few books where I check out the values before I buy.

Gautam
I love crystal and I'm jealous.

Piffka
LOL on the zebra thing. Can't you just tell them you're not into them anymore.
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Tue 25 Mar, 2003 10:22 am
Most of them are packed in their boxes and are in storage Sad
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Tue 25 Mar, 2003 10:36 am
Gezzy -- LOL. They have been told! It has become a family joke, now they're just picking on me... I'm surrounded by zebra! I like a little bit of this monstrous collection, but what only the real zebra colors -- not black and white, but shades of brown and cream.

Gautam... no! Get those out and let the sunlight shine through them. Think how gorgeous your dining room would be. Did you buy them at estate sales?
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Tue 25 Mar, 2003 10:46 am
Oh piffka I wish I cud - just that there is no space. But I agree with you, they would look gorgeous in my dining room (which actually is a conservatory overlooking my garden) - but there is no space !! But I do have abt 20 sets displayed in a full glass cabinet in my kitchen !!

Most of them were bought from Czech - authentic Bohemian crystal, some from London (watford crystal), Poland - and some have been gifts, given my well known loved love for glasses to drik booze in Smile
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 25 Mar, 2003 11:10 am
We have two kinds of collections; the first is art works. We have originals, limited editions, posters, and copies. Some are worth thousands, while others may be worth a few dollars. Most of our art collection is Asian art works, but we also have special artists such as Stan Beckman. On limited edition art work by Otsuka we paid $3,000 is now worth over $7,000. We also have a collection of dragons. Most are sculptures made of porcelain, lead crystal, or bronze. We also have a mug collection from all over the world. We have 49 mugs in a glass case in our family room, and about a dozen or two that we use. Wink c.i.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Tue 25 Mar, 2003 11:22 am
Guatam -- I am so envious. I love crystal! It makes things nice to drink from, doesn't it? Just like silver forks and spoons, being so smooth, seem to make the food better. Your dining room as a conservatory sounds great! I think I'm envious of that, too!!!

CI - Hi! Back from London and better than ever? All of your collections sound wonderful, but I am particularly interested in the dragons. I bought a small dragon for a young friend and was told that many dragons are shown playing with a ball. The Chinese lady I bought from said that the ball is supposed to be a pearl. A giant pearl, I guess. Have you heard that?
0 Replies

Lorna

Reply Tue 25 Mar, 2003 02:22 pm
pueo wrote:
i collect books. i actually buy them to read, but end up buying faster than i read. one day though i'll get to them. Rolling Eyes
...lol...that's what I say!

Some interesting collections here, one that I would never think of, but I guees you can collect anything!

I collect postcards, crazy socks, wall-hangings, art, candles, etc...

Lorna
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/18/2024 at 02:07:10