Time to Leave?

Albuquerque

Mon 25 Jan, 2021 04:02 am
@farmerman,
I look at this holistically...the all system is heated up and keeps growing at a non linear way. It is like entropy.
Nowadays everything is more. More broken things, more consumerism, more concentration of capital, more gossip, more opinion, more fake news, more hyperbole, more mixing of languages and languaging, more speculation, more philosophical avenues, more industrialized science, more theoretical disagreements, more information and more disinformation, in sum more confusion. Good for the top end of the bell curve horrid for the other 99%.
I often wonder when will it reach the limit and who or what will be in charge...
Albuquerque

Mon 25 Jan, 2021 12:10 pm
@Albuquerque,
Usually as knowledge grows it is naively believed information entropy decreases, and this is true in a closed system. But in reality, which is, at least compared to what our brains can be aware of, for all purposes an open system, the growth of the circle of knowledge also grows the frontiers of that circle with the unknown. A bigger circle of knowledge has a bigger diameter on the frontier with the unknown. Thus literally the more you know the more questions you end up with as complexity increases. This happens because we are deepening our domain of questioning but also because we are growing our pace of information exchange in the system. No further comments...Ditto!
Jennie Hunt

Mon 25 Jan, 2021 02:44 pm
@Leadfoot,
What do you mean by time to leave??
engineer

Mon 25 Jan, 2021 02:56 pm
@Jennie Hunt,
One of his favorite threads was overtaken by political bickering and locked.
Albuquerque

Mon 25 Jan, 2021 03:48 pm
@Albuquerque,
Yay some really dumb people missed the entire point...bravo!
It really takes dumbness squared to miss something so crystal clear like the size of a diameter applied to known and unknown information! Stupidity is really infinite!

0 Replies

Albuquerque

Mon 25 Jan, 2021 04:20 pm
@engineer,
Political bickering is all over the forums so why was it locked? I don't follow the logic.
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Tue 26 Jan, 2021 06:47 am
@roger,
I will say that the thumb prints are mildly interesting.
0 Replies

oralloy

Tue 26 Jan, 2021 01:49 pm
Is Wards coming out with a list of ten best engines for 2021?

Normally they release the list in December of the preceding year.
Leadfoot

Wed 27 Jan, 2021 06:47 am
@oralloy,
Getting senile, I can’t remember Ward's rules for eligibility anymore.

Your case for pushrods is becoming more convincing all the time though.
But ironically, i think it’s the turbocharger that makes it so.

My hypothetical best engine would be an aluminum turbocharged pushrod 24 valve hemi head i6, for anything other than track use. Hope some day someone will make one. The B58 is the closest thing to it now. I even love the tiniest bit of turbo lag left in it. Probably the same way you like having to work three pedals.
oralloy

Thu 28 Jan, 2021 12:11 am
@Leadfoot,
Leadfoot wrote:
Getting senile, I can't remember Ward's rules for eligibility anymore.

In general, Wards recognizes excellence and innovations in affordable car engines.

International Engine of the Year recognizes excellence and innovations regardless of price.

So Mustang and Camaro engines are Wards territory, while Ferrari and Lamborghini engines are International Engine of the Year territory, and either prize might recognize a tiny little fuel efficient engine.

Leadfoot wrote:
Your case for pushrods is becoming more convincing all the time though.

Ford came out with a 7.3 liter pushrod V8 a couple years ago. Maybe if I ever win the lottery I can have a custom shop fit one of those to a Mustang.

https://www.motor1.com/news/431393/ford-godzilla-v8-crate-engine/
farmerman

Fri 29 Jan, 2021 05:29 am
@oralloy,
the only rational 7.3 is the Turbo- diesel. When you think about it the entire family of piston ngines is illogical. Energy transfer (w exception of the old Porsche Speedster and Carrera with transverse ngines ) is illogical, too many head losses by turning right angles and compression .
. Before all fossil fuel engines go the way of dinosaurs in favor of the High W/F ratioed Electric engines, I'd like to see the reuse of the Rotary engines like the old Mazda Wankels. They gave shitty mileage numbers but boy were they peppy in the desert. Id pass all the high wheelers like they were sitting still
I see that most of our weapon equipped drones now use Wankel type engines, Quiet , and deadly.
Try flying your OHV upside down.
PS, why the hell did you get your "Dream Car" thread locked up??
Leadfoot

Fri 29 Jan, 2021 06:35 am
@oralloy,
Please tell me it's not an iron block .
oralloy

Mon 1 Feb, 2021 11:06 am
@Leadfoot,
I have no idea. I haven't read much about the engine. But what's wrong with iron?
oralloy

Mon 1 Feb, 2021 11:12 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
the only rational 7.3 is the Turbo- diesel.

There is no replacement for displacement.

farmerman wrote:
PS, why the hell did you get your "Dream Car" thread locked up??

It's not my thread and I didn't lock it.
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Mon 1 Feb, 2021 11:22 am
@oralloy,
Quote:
But what's wrong with iron?

Nothing, it’s the right material to make rotors for Wankel engines out of.
It also works well for counterweights on my John Deer.
0 Replies