YouTube Caught Scrubbing Dislikes From Biden Related Videos

Reply Sat 23 Jan, 2021 12:30 am
I have seen a lot of articles on the Web which say that YouTube has been caught deleting "dislikes" from Biden related videos including the inauguration. It makes one wonder what else might be getting manipulated.

https://reclaimthenet.org/youtube-scrubs-thousands-of-dislikes-from-joe-biden-videos-on-official-white-house-channel/?fbclid=IwAR3_aBouP2SzWbEvFeMgWIlDGcoJsPNU9aejYJmVkvdEmhlJZHUNb1O7OZo

Below viewing threshold (view)
Brandon9000

Reply Sat 23 Jan, 2021 12:43 am
@maxdancona,
I don't know, but my wife saw it reported on Newsmax (TV) and, searching the Web, I found it being reported from numerous sources. I know nothing more than that.
Brandon9000

Reply Sat 23 Jan, 2021 10:13 am
Another such article:

https://www.theepochtimes.com/mkt_app/youtube-deletes-portion-of-dislikes-from-biden-videos-says-its-spam_3666428.html
tsarstepan

Reply Sat 23 Jan, 2021 10:17 am
@Brandon9000,
Brandon9000 wrote:

I don't know, but my wife saw it reported on Newsmax (TV) and, searching the Web, I found it being reported from numerous sources. I know nothing more than that.

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
Brandon9000

Reply Sat 23 Jan, 2021 10:22 am
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:

Brandon9000 wrote:

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

I guess this is in lieu of actually providing evidence that it's untrue.
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Sat 23 Jan, 2021 11:02 am
Hypothetically, what if there were a program which could generate thousands of negative votes on a platform like YouTube? If this robotic activity could be identified, why would it be wrong to remove those votes? And isn't this what YouTube claims to be doing? Probably the best choice would be to simply eliminate the voting feature for political content. It's basically the same as the thumb wars on A2K — the likes and dislikes become meaningless if they can be manipulated, whether it's done by a user with a sock account or whether it's accomplished electronically on a large scale. I don't know if there are examples of this being done to videos supporting conservative positions but I see nothing objectionable about artificially-generated votes being scrubbed. It really has nothing to do with censorship or free speech — it's simply about fair play.
Brandon9000

Reply Sat 23 Jan, 2021 11:13 am
@hightor,
Yes, that is one possible explanation for removing the dislikes.