The Not So Easy Solution to Reduce Traffic

RyanO45

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2016 09:51 am
This is a TLDR version of CGPGrey's video "The Simple Solution to Traffic" but I have my own solution to reduce traffic which is at the bottom of the post. I was inspired by his video to make this post.

Traffic. It wastes our time and more importantly, our money. Luckily enough, there are a few solutions to reduce traffic.
The first one is block driving. This is technique is used by police in some countries and is law in others where drivers line up with cars in the other lanes and drive at a constant speed. This is used in times of heavy traffic and allows for a better flow of traffic.
The second is keeping a buffer window. A buffer window is a space between the person in front and behind you. The space created is the same length for both drivers giving you and the person behind you the most time to stop.
The third solution is having everyone drive self-driving cars that communicate with each other within a fraction of a second. This allows other cars to communicate and coordinate when they can go. This eliminates the human factor which brings me on to my last point.
The last solution is no more humans. No humans = no traffic.

Now it's time for my solution. Suspended lanes. The way it would work is that the lanes are supported off the ground by some sort of support like overhead bridges.

With suspended lanes, while the cost would be insanely high, traffic would be minimum since there's no interference except other human drivers. The human factor can't be eliminated unfortunately but this eliminates other factors like animals crossing the road. Let's say a deer comes and crosses the road. The first who sees the deer brakes a bit. The second person brakes a little harder. Then the third, the fourth, the fifth, etc. This removes external factors like animals. While we can't fix the whole problem, we can fix some of it. If we can combine this with self-driving cars, this might work, as long we have the money to build it. This doesn't have to be everywhere. Only in areas of high traffic would it be necessary but that is up to you to decide. Intersections can be made into overpasses with enough space.

My solution has many flaws but I want to hear your solutions to reduce traffic. I don't care how ridiculous or unrealistic they are. Just make something up in your own post.

Krumple

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2016 10:49 am
@RyanO45,
One aspect of global issues is roads themselves. Ive heard that any where we lay down pavement the ground beneath the road leaches a way all the neutrients in the soil. Which is fine since we dont really plan to grow anything where the roads and streets are anyways. However they say prolonged this will bleed over to create run off with extremely high mineral content that ends up in other water sources causing unhealthy algae blooms and too acidic for wildlife to utilize.

The streets themselves may also be one source of global warming. Hear me out, because I know that sounds crazy.

Trees and plants, ie grass areas absorb the suns light and dissipate heat in a balanced way. However roads heat up and radiate the heat back into the air warming the air dramatically. plants would not do this. Think of roads as heating elements like a stove top burner. They absorb massive amounts of solar radiation and super heat the surrounding air. This chemically needs to balance out. So the air in cities become warmer than they would if they were just covered by grassland or forests.

With all that said. Why not use elevated rails like the hanging rollercoaster? You can easily suspend double or quad size cars controlled by computers. Boarding stations are off the main track to allow free flow of traffic. You board and the car merges onto the main rail. Sensors prevent collisions and routes interconnect for network travel.

These cars could opperate on electric power instead of gasoline. Which eliminates dependancies on fossile fuels. You can own your own track car if you want.

Trees and plants can take back the roads and streets. There is more to this idea but I dont want it too long.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2016 11:03 am
Two solutions.
  1. Public transportation (clean air buses FTW) and
  2. Business voluntarily altering their opening/closing hours and allowing anyone who can possibly work from home to do so
#2 costs pretty much nothing (lost business will be made up by people who can now suddenly find the time on weekdays to visit a business such as a grocery or a dentist's office) and #1 will cost money but can potentially cut not only traffic but also pollution and auto accident deaths.

Of course hospitals have to remain open 24/7, but there is no reason for computer programmers to walk in the door at 9 AM or, for the most part, at all.
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2016 11:15 am
@RyanO45,
For the acronym phobic or unschooled in all possible ones, like me,
TLDR = too long didn't read
CGPGrey is some guy's name; does educational videos

I'll probably be back to post on this later. I've worked in traffic allied projects.
0 Replies