10
   

R.I.P. The 1st amendment 1791-2021

 
 
oralloy
 
  5  
Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2021 01:06 am
@InfraBlue,
InfraBlue wrote:
reference to the First Amendment is a straw man argument since the First Amendment does not protect insurrection

No it isn't. You are totally mangling the rules of logic. That is not even remotely what a straw man argument is.
InfraBlue
 
  -3  
Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2021 12:31 pm
@oralloy,
Yes it is.
oralloy
 
  5  
Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2021 12:56 pm
@InfraBlue,
Your ignorance of basic logic is breathtaking.
0 Replies
 
InfraBlue
 
  -2  
Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2021 02:35 pm
@oralloy,
The reason longjon's First Amendment argument is a straw man is because the First Amendment deals with actions of the government, whereas I was referring to Trump's banning by social media which are non-governmental entities.

Straw man arguments such as longjon's and yours as well tend to serve as red herrings as well, because they're effective in throwing off the discussion from the actual argument.

oralloy
 
  4  
Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2021 02:46 pm
@InfraBlue,
You have no idea what a straw man argument even is.

You are misusing the term badly.
InfraBlue
 
  -3  
Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2021 03:07 pm
@oralloy,
Uh-huh.

Nuh-uh.
oralloy
 
  5  
Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2021 03:35 pm
@InfraBlue,
As I said, your ignorance of basic logic is breathtaking.
longjon
 
  3  
Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2021 04:31 pm
@oralloy,
I think this infoblue person must be an angsty 16 year old behind the keyboard. That's the intelligence level that's coming through. In fact, I suspect the same from highlter and engineer. Is this site mostly populated by teens with blue hair who are angry at their parents?
0 Replies
 
longjon
 
  3  
Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2021 04:36 pm
Could the leftists here please at least admit that they are fundamentally against the 1st amendment?

Can they act like a grown ups and at least admit that they prefer authoritarianism over the principles that America was founded on?

At least don't pretend you support civil liberties if you're actively working against them. That's not too much to ask.
maxdancona
 
  -2  
Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2021 04:47 pm
@longjon,
longjon wrote:

Could the leftists here please at least admit that they are fundamentally against the 1st amendment?

Can they act like a grown ups and at least admit that they prefer authoritarianism over the principles that America was founded on?

At least don't pretend you support civil liberties if you're actively working against them. That's not too much to ask.



This is a perfect example of a straw man argument.

Well done Longjon.
InfraBlue
 
  -2  
Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2021 04:57 pm
@oralloy,
As I said, Your assumptions about my knowledge of ignorance are asinine.
oralloy
 
  4  
Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2021 04:59 pm
@InfraBlue,
I made no assumptions about your knowledge of ignorance.

I'm not sure what knowledge of ignorance even means.
oralloy
 
  4  
Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2021 05:00 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
This is a perfect example of a straw man argument.

Actually, it isn't.

You might try to argue that the left is being falsely accused. However, the allegedly-untrue accusations are not for the purpose of setting up a fake position to be defeated by a disingenuous argument. So even if the accusations are untrue, it is not a straw man argument.

And, as it happens, his accusations are 100% true. Progressives are wannabe Stalinists. It is entirely fair to denounce them as such.
0 Replies
 
longjon
 
  3  
Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2021 07:15 pm
@maxdancona,
Leftists support government control of speech under the auspice of "private companies" (who in reality are in bed with the government) doing the silencing for them.

Leftists simply cannot engage in this behavior and also claim to support free speech.

Leftists are against free speech.

Fact.

InfraBlue
 
  -2  
Reply Fri 15 Jan, 2021 09:54 am
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

I made no assumptions about your knowledge of ignorance.

I'm not sure what knowledge of ignorance even means.

Ha, that was an errant cut and paste.

Your assumptions about my knowledge are asinine.
0 Replies
 
InfraBlue
 
  -2  
Reply Fri 15 Jan, 2021 10:00 am
@longjon,
Sensible people support government control of speech.

You shouldn't be allowed to fraudulently yell "fire" in a crowded theater—or publicly incite violence and murder, for that matter.
longjon
 
  2  
Reply Fri 15 Jan, 2021 01:21 pm
@InfraBlue,
Quote:
You shouldn't be allowed to fraudulently yell "fire" in a crowded theater—or publicly incite violence and murder, for that matter.


That is not the same thing as having a political opinion that the left disagrees with. And that's exactly what's being censored.

Leftists are tyrants.

You have blue hair don't you? And I bet you hate your dad. I bet you wear t-shirts with the F word on them, don't you? And you listen to scream-o music.
maxdancona
 
  -3  
Reply Fri 15 Jan, 2021 01:40 pm
@longjon,
longjon wrote:

Quote:
You shouldn't be allowed to fraudulently yell "fire" in a crowded theater—or publicly incite violence and murder, for that matter.


That is not the same thing as having a political opinion that the left disagrees with. And that's exactly what's being censored.

Leftists are tyrants.

You have blue hair don't you? And I bet you hate your dad. I bet you wear t-shirts with the F word on them, don't you? And you listen to scream-o music.


Blue Hair?

For the record, I think blue hair is perfectly acceptable on a straw man.

0 Replies
 
glitterbag
 
  -1  
Reply Fri 15 Jan, 2021 02:01 pm
@longjon,
longjon wrote:

Quote:
You shouldn't be allowed to fraudulently yell "fire" in a crowded theater—or publicly incite violence and murder, for that matter.


That is not the same thing as having a political opinion that the left disagrees with. And that's exactly what's being censored.

Leftists are tyrants.

You have blue hair don't you? And I bet you hate your dad. I bet you wear t-shirts with the F word on them, don't you? And you listen to scream-o music.


Your mother called and boy is she pissed. She found that box of blue hair dye and said if you aren't home in 15 minutes she's going to shut off your phone and computer. ((Dude, she sounds serious, if I were you (and thankfully I'm not) I'd hurry before she thinks of some other additional punishment))
0 Replies
 
hightor
 
  -2  
Reply Fri 15 Jan, 2021 02:10 pm
Quote:
And that's exactly what's being censored.

Lying about an election being "fraudulent" when it was, in fact, legitimate and secure, is not the same thing as having a political opinion that the left disagrees with.

Inciting a mob to prevent the lawful work of Congress is not the same thing as having a political opinion that the left disagrees with.
0 Replies
 
 

 
Copyright © 2021 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 01/18/2021 at 11:06:00