What's an ideal conveyance for a person who has never owned his own car (or other motor vehicle)?

JGoldman10

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2021 10:59 pm
@maxdancona,
Who can I get to supervise me driving a car? My mom and one of my next-door neighbors can't. I could ask my other neighbors but I don't know if they want to be bothered.
jespah

Reply Sat 9 Jan, 2021 05:16 pm
@JGoldman10,
There are amazing things known as driving schools.
JGoldman10

Reply Sat 9 Jan, 2021 06:59 pm
@jespah,
Yes I know. However, as I said earlier in this thread, I was told you don't need to go to a driving school to learn how to drive to get a license. I was told you can learn how to drive on your own and then take the road test at the DMV to get your license. Is this true?

I was talking about getting someone who could supervise me driving with a permit.
jespah

Reply Sat 9 Jan, 2021 07:09 pm
@JGoldman10,
It's probably true where you are (it is here). A driving school would fix your problem of needing someone to supervise and instruct you.
JGoldman10

Reply Sat 9 Jan, 2021 07:10 pm
@jespah,
But do you NEED to go a driving school to learn how to drive?

Someone I know told me you can practice doing certain things in a car without taking lessons. My mother's car is still sitting in my backyard, but I can't use it. I don't know how to drive it and my mother has the keys for it. She is STILL stuck in rehab as of the time of the posting of this and the facility she's in is still closed to the public.

Don't you need your own vehicle to learn how to drive?

I wonder if I can start crowdfunding campaigns to raise money for driving school lessons and to buy a car with.
jespah

Reply Sat 9 Jan, 2021 07:25 pm
@JGoldman10,
You don't need your own vehicle or driving school. I'm just trying to show you how you can make things easier on yourself.

Oh and BTW, good luck learning to drive from someone not a family member I'm not saying that you would never, ever get help. But recognize that student drivers are risky. Your neighbors may not want to take such a risk.
JGoldman10

Reply Sat 9 Jan, 2021 07:41 pm
@jespah,
Okay, thank you. Like I said I asked one neighbor and she said she or her sons wouldn't be able to help me. There's a married couple who lives next door to me; I'll ask them for help.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sat 9 Jan, 2021 07:43 pm
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:
But do you NEED to go a driving school to learn how to drive?

Driving a car is dangerous, both for you and for other people. You really need to know what you are doing.

You might not "need" to go to a driving school, but if you are going to start driving a car, I strongly advise that you do so.
JGoldman10

Reply Sat 9 Jan, 2021 07:52 pm
@oralloy,
I'm aware of that. Whatever I know about cars I learned from my mother.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Sat 9 Jan, 2021 07:55 pm
@oralloy,
I think you can understand part of the reason WHY I had a repressed phobia of driving for a long time.
oralloy

Reply Sat 9 Jan, 2021 08:10 pm
@JGoldman10,
If you've gotten this far in life without driving cars, you might be better served by getting a bicycle.

The costs will be cheaper, it will be less dangerous, and it will be easier to learn.
JGoldman10

Reply Sat 9 Jan, 2021 08:30 pm
@oralloy,
Okay. What do you know about Segways and Vespa scooters?
oralloy

Reply Sat 9 Jan, 2021 08:49 pm
@JGoldman10,
I know very little about them. But Max and Tsar posted about them on the first page.

What sort of travel are you planning to do with whatever you purchase?

If you just want to travel around within a city, the recommended vehicle will probably be different than if you want to travel across the country.
0 Replies

cherrie

Reply Sat 9 Jan, 2021 08:54 pm
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:

Okay. What do you know about Segways and Vespa scooters?

You provided a heap of links about these yourself.

Did you actually read any of them?
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sat 9 Jan, 2021 09:46 pm
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:

Yes I know. However, as I said earlier in this thread, I was told you don't need to go to a driving school to learn how to drive to get a license. I was told you can learn how to drive on your own and then take the road test at the DMV to get your license. Is this true?

I was talking about getting someone who could supervise me driving with a permit.

Quote:
New York - Before you can schedule the road test for a license you must complete a 5-hour Pre-licensing Course.
0 Replies