One little. Two little....

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2005 07:50 am
Three little!

Four little!?

FIVE little!!

Five baby racoons and their mama were noshing on Cat Chow in my garage this morning.

I opened the door and saw moma - a regular visitor - and one small tail. Mama waddled to the door and made a little growling sound and babies started popping their faces out all around the garage. One took a wrong turn and hid under a shelf as the rest queued up outside the door. Mama growled again and Dopey trundled out, joining his family for a trek across the yard and through the fence.

It was all very charming but I worry about the little rascles here in inner-suburbia.

Should I notify someone or should I just let them be?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 885 • Replies: 8
No top replies

Chai

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2005 08:00 am
Oh Lord, either call someone or get rid of them yourself as soon as you can!

I live one less than a mile from DT Austin, You wouldn't think there'd be racoons, but there are. They are very opportunistic and can make a home anywhere.

We had a mother and babies get into our roof, and it was a total nightmare.
We could hear them running around ALL night long, and it took forever to get them out.

Plus, they are a danger to pets, can carry rabies, and will take a good bite out of a human.
They may look cute, but I wouldn't wish them on you or your neighbors.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2005 08:02 am
oh yeah Chai. We get them in our backyard as well.
(south austin )

Our concern is the diseases they could carry.
If, boom, they were just passing through.. I would say let them be. Your garage may have been just a safe stopping point for the new momma on her way to .. where ever?
If they stay, i would call someone. Maybe the local pound can tell you who to call and what you can do?
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2005 08:35 am
I have noticed that we have been going through a lot of cat food the last few days but they seemed to have a destination when they left so I don't think they're living in my house or yard.

I know racoons are not gentle little creatures and that they can be dangerous. My dogs usually have a conniption fit when anything comes into the yard but they completely ignored this.

I think they are just being opportunistic - I leave a big bowl of cat food out, not just for my cat but for the multitude of abandoned strays from the "we accept pets" apartment near here where people move out and leave their pets behind. The cat food surely makes a convenient meal.

Maybe I can find some kind of wildlife relocation group that will find them a new area. I don't want to send them to their death.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2005 08:36 am
Boomer, where is your avatar!?!?
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2005 08:38 am
I tried to replace it - the new one wouldn't fit - I couldn't get the old one back - now I'm avatarless until I come up with something new.
0 Replies

Seed

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2005 08:45 am
well people will probably think she has rabbies and try to kill her.. which is sad but i say let them be... thats just me.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2005 09:08 am
That's what I was thinking, Seed. I don't want someone to trap them just to kill them -- that's why I was thinking relocation. I see lots of smashed racoons around here and I really don't want them to have to face city dangers.

Still, I don't know how they would fare in a wilderness area seeing as how they are eating cat food from garages.
0 Replies

Seed

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2005 09:33 am
boomerang wrote:
That's what I was thinking, Seed. I don't want someone to trap them just to kill them -- that's why I was thinking relocation. I see lots of smashed racoons around here and I really don't want them to have to face city dangers.

Still, I don't know how they would fare in a wilderness area seeing as how they are eating cat food from garages.
well if i remember correctly racoons are great and foraging and im sure they would do just fine in the wilderness... after all im sure thats where they came from to begain with.
0 Replies