Thistledown is blowing in the wind.

Noddy24

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2005 12:56 pm
The local strawberries are over with until next year. The first local tomatoes are ripe.

All sorts of baby birds are learning to fly and teenage squirrels are learning to cross roads. Some of them don't make it.

Thistledown is blowing past my window. After dark the lightning bugs are flashing.

Summer is half over.

Does anyone else have wistful observations?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 833 • Replies: 9
No top replies

roger

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2005 01:19 pm
I saw a squirrel running across the highway a few weeks back. It was sad. He didn't make it, and you could just see he was having a great time.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2005 01:59 pm
Last year I had a squirrel who kept practicing jumping from tree trunk to tree trunk, landing horizontally. His siblings seemed uninterested, even scornful.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2005 02:01 pm
Thistledown and tiny burrs are getting caught in the dogs' fur. Summer must be moving along swiftly.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2005 04:19 pm
Ripeness is all--but all ripeness is not convenient.

One of the adorable features of the pit bull breed is limited hair and limited tangles. Pit bulls have other flaws.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 31 Jul, 2005 01:44 pm
Crickets are chirping--still just a few, but end-of-summer romance is in the evening air.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 31 Jul, 2005 01:48 pm
The blue herons have moved back into the marsh my parents live on. The osprey babies have flown, but haven't left. The kingfisher has hit the easy jackpot that is my parents' goldfish pond.

Alas, we have no fireflies, crickets, frogs in the city. We do have silly squirrel antics (stealing my neighbors' peaches off the tree) and a stinky skunk.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sun 31 Jul, 2005 02:33 pm
I saw a squirrel dart out of some heavy weeds on the side of the road and begin his mad dash across the higway.

He slammed on the brakes, halfway across, and you could see his little squirrel mind was thinking "Whoa...bad idea, dude!"

He made an about face and darted back from whence he had came.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 1 Aug, 2005 08:05 am
I found Indian Pipes growing under my pussy willow tree:

http://www.rook.org/earl/bwca/nature/herbs/monotropa.html
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 1 Aug, 2005 02:35 pm
The local goldenrod is starting to open.

The local baby swifts have learned to fly.

The bats have learned to turn on the motion sensor light.
0 Replies