This morning I saw an elephant in my pajamas

Diane

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2005 03:02 pm
Lady J, yes, ice cream sundaes, lots of gaudy jewelry and the kid thing--well yeah, we've all had the urge to do away with the little critters once in a while. We wicked women can hold off those nit pickers with one hand tied behind our backs.

Lord Ellpus, if they start stoning you for your obvious disrespect, you can wear my terribly cheap and tawdry jewelry. Its special powers of evil will protect you from the heaviest stones. It might even turn on some of the stone throwers--guess that's why they are afraid of the women who wear it--the saintliest of men get all horny and devil ridden. Damn that jewelry.

Eva, YAY! It's good to see that money talks.
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2005 03:43 pm
I was reading Daniel Boorstien's "The Discoverers" this weekend. What impressed me was his discussion, and numerous illustrations of how the imposition of Christian ideology hobbled western civilization for nearly 1000 years. Questions were not asked because the answer was already there. As a result while China and the Muslim world surged ahead, Europe sank into isolation, poverty and irrelevance. This book and many others that discuss this topic are readily available. Modern examples of the destructiveness of a global ideology ( Russia, China) are within living memory. It is not as if we do not know, the consequences of where people like Hick are attempting to take us.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2005 08:01 pm
What finally made the difference for Westerners after those first thousand years were two things: first, travelers had begun to return from the Eastern realms with tales of new knowledge in science, mathematics and medicine and second, those same travelers brought with them the first instances of the Black Plague. Hundreds of thousands got sick and, despite every effort to pray them back to full health, hundreds of thousands died.

In the upper stories of the European Universities the learned looked at each other, looked at the new books and scrolls, freshly translated from Arabic to Greek to Italian or German or English, and made mental notes that the next time some archbishop objected to an advance in science he would be told to bugger off.

Advances in astronomy, engineering mathematics and anatomy were made in spite of the objections of Rome and in the space of the next two hundred years, Europe, even with several more plagues and an unending series of wars, had caught up and surpassed the East in all the educated disciplines.

Joe(yet, today there is a debate about stem cell research...)Nation
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2005 08:49 pm
Joe Nation wrote:
Joe(yet, today there is a debate about stem cell research...)Nation

Yep. The more things change, the more they stay the same.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2005 09:17 pm
Quote:
"In that day the Lord will take away the bravery of their tinkling ornaments about their feet, and their cauls, and their round tires like the moon. The chains, and the bracelets, and the mufflers, The bonnets, and the ornaments of the legs, and the headbands, and the tablets, and the earrings, The rings, and nose jewels. The changeable suits of apparel, and the mantles, and the wimples, and the crisping pins, The glasses, and the fine linen, and the hoods, and the vails. And it shall come to pass, that instead of sweet smell there shall be stink; and instead of a girdle a rent; and instead of well set hair baldness; and instead of a stomacher a girding of sackcloth; and burning instead of beauty. Thy men shall fall by the sword, and thy might in the war. And her gates shall lament and mourn: and she being desolate shall sit upon the ground" (Isaiah 3:17-26).

Um, actually the verse about jewelry comes from Isaiah and is about the end times. It is referring to how the country / kingdom that thinks they are "all that" will find that she may have lots of glittery appeal, but won't be able to defend herslf. Hence, her men (army) will fall on their swords. She won't be able to stand 'cause she's been busy gathering up glittery things to impress rather than tending to spiritual matters and doing as God would have her (the country, not a woman) to do.

So, Ladies, don't take your jewels to Goodwill just yet. Laughing
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2005 09:29 pm
Goodwill..... that's where I get some of my tinkling jewels and trinkets!

So, dys, this elephant in your jammies... did it have a long trunk?
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2005 09:33 pm
what what i sould tell it was singing castrado, personally I sing tenor.
0 Replies