Able2Know website is trying to fingerprint the users???

BillRM

Reply Wed 23 Sep, 2020 03:58 pm
Odd one of my security programs is warning me that this website is attempting to fingerprint my computers/hardware.

Why would there be an interest in finger printing the users hardware?

roger

Reply Wed 23 Sep, 2020 04:48 pm
@BillRM,
Should I wipe my keyboard before logging in?
glitterbag

Reply Wed 23 Sep, 2020 04:52 pm
@roger,
Before and after, just to be safe. (I watched 5 episodes of CSI Miami today)
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Wed 23 Sep, 2020 05:55 pm
@BillRM,
Interesting. This site has absolutely no tracking cookies are adware so that would be very odd.

Privacy check: https://themarkup.org/blacklight?url=able2know.org
BillRM

Reply Wed 23 Sep, 2020 11:20 pm
@engineer,
engineer wrote:

Interesting. This site has absolutely no tracking cookies are adware so that would be very odd.

Privacy check: https://themarkup.org/blacklight?url=able2know.org

I run my browsers in a sandbox that wipe tracking cookies at the end of every use but that still would not stop tracking by fingerprinting my hardware.

Odd to see that warning on this website so it could be a false warning perhaps.
justaguy2

Reply Thu 24 Sep, 2020 07:38 am
@BillRM,
I'm not sure you understand what the term "sandbox" actually means in the context of computer security. Given the whole point of a "sandbox" is to isolate different running processes from each other, as well as providing a "controlled environment" to restrict or deny access to the host's hardware. So therefore, if you run a web browser in a sandbox, and that sandbox is any good, it should not be allowing access to the host machine's hardware at all (again, that's kinda the whole point of a "sandbox"). Ergo, no website would therefore be able to "fingerprint" your computer's hardware in the first place.

So I think you need to actually read and understand such concepts before making such claims. It's clear to me that it's very unlikely you have a clue what's going on, let alone have a clue of what you are even talking about.
BillRM

Reply Thu 24 Sep, 2020 08:18 am
@justaguy2,
Sorry you are getting a sandbox confused with a VM and that is not one and the same thing as a sandbox used the underlining system software and hardware just attempting to isolate any changes done by the software running in the sandbox from the rest of the system.

A VM emulate another complete computer with hardware and software within your computer down to having it own OS with licence running.
BillRM

Reply Thu 24 Sep, 2020 08:37 am
@BillRM,
A example of a sandbox is how it deal with a ransom ware attack the sandbox call in copies of the files into the sandbox that the ransom ware program running in the sandbox wish to change by encrypting and you end up with a lot of encrypted files within the sandbox while the origination files are completely unchanged.

For myself I run my browsers within a sandbox and at the end of the browser session I erase the whole sandbox with a copy of the browser an any software that malware might had call into the sandbox by way of a browser attack. Oh it also erase any tracking cookies including super cookies.

It does not block fingerprinting however.
0 Replies

justaguy2

Reply Thu 24 Sep, 2020 09:12 am
@BillRM,
No, you're the one that is confused, not me. And what you've said barely makes any sense at all.

Again, you need to actually understand what you're talking about BEFORE you start making claims. So again, you haven't a clue what you are even on about.

PS: A "sandbox" may be considered a form of "virtualization", the same as a "virtual machine" runs an OS (and apps) within an environment simulated by software, but still not exactly the same thing though.
BillRM

Reply Thu 24 Sep, 2020 12:26 pm
@justaguy2,
LOL I been working with computers .computer languages,and computer OSs since 1970 give or take a few years an went nearly broke in buying my first personal PCs models an my first programming calculator type the TI-59 that I replaced my log log slide rule a model that is now in the Smithsonian !!!

I had written programs to run on main frames in Fortran 1V on IBM cards and program analog computers by moving plug boards jumpers around. Writing assembly routines for medical test equipment.

Sorry but I question you know a damn thing about computers that I did not know by the 1990s or way before that.

A great and now totally free sandbox program can now be downloaded from sandboxie.com website.

The word idiot keep coming to my mind in fact the words rude idiot come to mind.

oralloy

Reply Thu 24 Sep, 2020 01:38 pm
@justaguy2,
justaguy2 wrote:
what you've said barely makes any sense at all.

When you don't understand a subject, that's a sure sign that you shouldn't be posting about it.

justaguy2 wrote:
you need to actually understand what you're talking about BEFORE you start making claims.

So stop making claims about subjects that you don't understand.

justaguy2 wrote:
So again, you haven't a clue what you are even on about.

Except it is you who doesn't know what anyone is talking about.
0 Replies

justaguy2

Reply Fri 25 Sep, 2020 06:37 am
@BillRM,
Well, you may say that, but the reality is... your posts show a complete lack of understanding about how computers or computer software works (particularly beyond what some program is displaying on your screen)... that's the problem.

In any case, I've explained why your claims are flawed. I've explained what a "sandbox" essentially is and does, and once again, why what you are claiming just doesn't add up given what you've said. You are the one that started a thread and asked a question based on a flawed understanding of the subject at hand. And your response was to accuse the person responding of being "confused". Before that, you were clearly told by others responding before me that your claims were "very odd". Before that response from engineer (who is quite correct BTW) you got sarcasm. You then start carrying on about how you supposedly have "been using mainframes, etc, since 1970 give or take a few years" (but you still need to even ask the question to begin with...hmmm). When you can't even seem to string a coherent sentence together (and not just in this thread either on that particular front).

Now granted, while yellow cake (aka "oralloy") is quite severely mentally handicapped, so we need to make some allowances for them... even they manage to be able to string a coherent sentence together, unlike you seem to be able to do (in almost, if not, every thread and post you make at this forum - not just in this thread). Now granted, they just recycle the same insults every time, and may even "mix it up" a bit from time to time, and they never seem to be able to rebut much, if anything someone else has said (like in response to my previous post in this thread)... at least, and as deranged as they are, they are consistent, unlike yourself. You are the living embodiment of George Costanza from Seinfeld.

PS: And I see yellow cake has let you keep your lunch money today. Laughing
BillRM

Reply Fri 25 Sep, 2020 07:55 am
@justaguy2,
Sorry my friend you are the one that does not know what the hell you are talking about as sandboxes does not protect against fingerprinting and the fact that you must be rude in taking your position tell a lot not only about your computer knowledge but your current lack of being a human being.
maxdancona

Reply Fri 25 Sep, 2020 08:09 am
Just for the record. BillRM is making sense. Justaguy isn't making any sense.

Justaguy stops making sense when he says "it should not be allowing access to the host machine's hardware at all"

Think about that for a second. How do you run a browser without access to the host machine's monitor, or keyboard, or the internet...? Justaguy is full of crap.

justaguy2

Reply Fri 25 Sep, 2020 08:13 am
@BillRM,
LOL...

First thing, we aren't "friends".

Second thing, while I could quite easily give you a simpler explanation for your simple mind of the difference between a VM (which I've used many, many times myself) and a "sandbox"... your lack of intelligence would likely block your understanding. And more to the point, you're just not worth any more effort. So I'm not going to even bother. And since you won't accept any answer that disagrees with your current position, there is little point.

So sorry George, but you'll have to get Jerry to try and explain it to you...
0 Replies

justaguy2

Reply Fri 25 Sep, 2020 08:27 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
Just for the record. BillRM is making sense. Justaguy isn't making any sense.

Justaguy stops making sense when he says "it should not be allowing access to the host machine's hardware at all"

Think about that for a second. How do you run a browser without access to the host machine's monitor, or keyboard, or the internet...? Justaguy is full of crap.

And if you add the word "direct" in front of the word "access", then it actually makes a lot of sense. I would have thought for someone who claims to be a "programmer", that would have been clearly implied. Think about that for a second, or perhaps at least several in your case.

You are so obvious maxdancona... is it because I called out your hypocrisy in other threads? You poor thing. Just for the record. Rolling Eyes
BillRM

Reply Fri 25 Sep, 2020 08:32 am
@justaguy2,
Once more a sandbox protect your hard drive from malware writing to it and once the sandbox is deleted any malware or any attempt to changes files by the malware is gone to.

However a browser under the control of malware in a sandbox can sent over the internet a fingerprint of the whole system all the sandbox does is to stop any permanent change to the system it does not stop fingerprinting the system.

Quote:

http://ask-leo.com/does_a_sandbox_or_virtual_machine_help_protect_your_privacy.html

A "sandbox" is software that allows you to run an application in such a way that it prevents the application from writing outside of the sandbox.

Normally, when you run a program like your browser, it makes changes to your system; registry settings, internet caches, browsing history and the like are all written to disk. On top of that, downloads including things like potentially unwanted spyware also arrive via the browser and install themselves onto your hard disk so that the next time you run the browser - or the next time you even just boot your system, that spyware is still there, doing its spyware thing.

When run in a sandbox, all those changes still appear to happen, except that they're never actually permanently placed on disk. When you exit the browser and its containing sandbox, all those changes disappear. History, cache, settings ... and spywa

0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Fri 25 Sep, 2020 08:43 am
@justaguy2,
Let's be honest here Justaguy. It is pretty obvious you have clearly never had a real job in computer science. You are probably in some kind of introductory training program.

Your answers are clipped out of some kind of textbook... no one with any real experience talks that way. And then you always add to the textbook in ways that show you don't even understand what it means.

Bill and I have been working in the industry, with real jobs, for a long time. You are clearly a poser.

You can make this silly argument between "direct access" and some other kind of access. You will run to the internet or to a textbook to find a snippet support what you are saying, and you may or may not even understand it in some textbook way.

I have worked with this stuff.
justaguy2

Reply Fri 25 Sep, 2020 09:17 am
@maxdancona,
You wouldn't know what jobs I've had, and I don't really care what you think. I've been using computers, as well as using various operating systems for over two decades now. So I think I'm well past some "introductory training program".

Also, experience doesn't just incorporate "paid experience", in other words, experience is still experience, regardless of whether or not the person is actually getting paid - not that I'm implying I've never had any IT related job, and really that is none of your business either way.

And unless you actually know BillRM personally, then like anyone else here, you only have their word to go on. And therefore, they like yourself could be "running to the internet" looking up x,y or z to try and support whatever their argument happens to be.

You may say "you've worked with this stuff", but that doesn't mean you actually have, and therefore, for all anyone here knows, you could be a "poser" yourself. Indeed, I've seen at least some of your posts that make me wonder about that.

But, and all of that said, it doesn't matter to me what you believe or think. Because you have no idea what experience I have in anything, and you are just a snide hypocrite. So believe whatever you like, and tell someone who cares. And while we're being honest, given how much of an asshole you are, I don't see any point in responding to your nonsense anymore.
maxdancona

Reply Fri 25 Sep, 2020 10:08 am
@justaguy2,
This is very much like the Australia thread.

If I started talking about what life is like in Australia, you quickly know that I had never been to Australia. I could probably get some of the phrases right, and I could list some cities. But as soon as I said anything, you or anyone else from Australia would know that I had never been there.

You can probably tell who the Australians are pretty quickly just by how they talk. They probably don't have to tell you they are from Australia... and if I claim to be from Australia, you will quickly know that I am full of crap.

That is why I know that BillRM knows what he is talking about.

1. Forums
  2. » Able2Know website is trying to fingerprint the users???
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 09:15:35