Any comic book fans out there?

FreedomEyeLove

Reply Thu 1 Oct, 2020 04:08 pm
@Rebelofnj,
Quote:
Except Bruce Banner is still the Hulk, Tony Stark is still Iron Man, Captain America still punches Nazis, Thor is still a man. Most of those changes are pretty short-lived.

But many of the annoying SJW characters are still around today, The next thing "woke" Marvel intends to do, is to use them to ruin the MCU films. We've already seen this creep in with man-hating feminist Captain Marvel. And worse than that, the leftist writers who created them continue to inject their foul politics into characters and comics where it's completely unnecessary.

Quote:
Plus, there was a lot of politics in the older comics. Like Superman stopping a corrupted politician on Action Comics #1 and The Fantastic Four fighting the Hate Mongerer on the 60s, who was revealed to be a still living Adolf Hitler. Then that time Captain America discovered that Richard Nixon was a supervillain.

Yes, there have been instances of political ideas being used in comics in the past, but it was always used sparingly. It was never the entire focus of the storytelling, and it wasn't used as propaganda like it currently is.

Today's leftists writers brow beat and guilt trip readers. They actually show contempt for their own audience, and seem to forget that the readers are the reason that they are employed in the first place. It's sort of the same concept as Star Wars: the Last Jedi. That film was essentially made with the intent of being a giant middle finger to the core fan base.

Even in the famously socially "woke" Green Lantern/Green Arrow run in the 1970's, equal time was given to the perspective of Hal Jordan (a conservative), and Oliver Queen (a liberal). The intent was always to tell an engaging story, with the social issues being used as a backdrop.

Quote:
Not to mention the entirety of the X-Men's history being an allegory of the Civil Rights movement.

There are actually many industry professionals who dispute this claim. I personally think this is an idea that Stan Lee embraced after the fact. Not to say that it isn't an apt comparison. I just think that in the 1960's Stan was throwing everything and the kitchen sink at the wall to see if something would stick, I don't think he was consciously trying to make political statements. I think he later re-framed some of his creations after other people made connections.

Quote:
I only read some of the Alan Moore Swamp Thing run, but there was an environmental message in those comics.

Yes, this true. This might actually be my favorite run in comics history. Moore definitely did put politics in his stories, but again he didn't use them as propaganda. The political ideas he used were always meant to serve the story, not to be the story.
Rebelofnj

Reply Thu 1 Oct, 2020 06:27 pm
@FreedomEyeLove,
Quote:
I just think that in the 1960's Stan was throwing everything and the kitchen sink at the wall to see if something would stick, I don't think he was consciously trying to make political statements. I think he later re-framed some of his creations after other people made connections.

Lee did have a "Stan's Soapbox" section at the Letters to the Editors page, where he preached his views on a monthly.

For example:
https://www.syfy.com/sites/syfy/files/styles/1170xauto/public/soapbox-ff81jpg.jpeg
https://www.syfy.com/syfywire/stan-lee-used-his-soapbox-to-preach-tolerance-and-fight-bigotry

His politics also appeared in his comics:

X-Men #14 by Stan Lee and Jack Kirby
https://i.redd.it/uq3653lxedt41.png

Fantastic Four #21 by Lee and Kirby
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/S/cmx-images-prod/Item/38481/Previews/4d35c24ae80b928fd866a79134beb0be._SX1280_QL80_TTD_.jpg

Lee is very much aware he had a hippie fanbase, which is why he created Iron Man (a weapon dealing capitalist) in an effort to see if people with opposing views would like the character.

I'm currently reading the Batman comics, and they are not very preachy as you may be claiming. The current story arc is that The Joker has taken control of Gotham City and Batman is forced to deal with a recent family death and bringing back his close allies again.
FreedomEyeLove

Reply Thu 1 Oct, 2020 07:14 pm
@Rebelofnj,
Quote:
Lee did have a "Stan's Soapbox" section at the Letters to the Editors page, where he preached his views on a monthly.

Oh, I know. but this was a later creation. It wasn't around in X-Men #1 for example.

Quote:
I'm currently reading the Batman comics, and they are not very preachy as you may be claiming.

Yeah, I confess I haven't read many of the new ones. I heard that Tom King sucks, but others have done well with it. I was more referring to Marvel stuff. I think they're the biggest offender when it comes to politically correct garbage.

I like your avatar btw. You know how some people people say that you can like Elvis, and you can like the Beatles, but you can't like them both the same?

That's how I feel about comics. I love Marvel, but I LOVE DC more. It's the original universe.

(Also I like Elvis more than the Beatles, and frankly think the Beatles are overrated.)
Rebelofnj

Reply Fri 2 Oct, 2020 04:15 am
@FreedomEyeLove,
Tom King's Batman run, which lasted for 85+ issues, is a mixed bag. It has some good character moments (like Batman and Catwoman's romance) but the long-term story (Bane ruining Bruce Wayne's life) was underwhelming, to say the least.

King's The Vision miniseries for Marvel was great, though. It is an examination of family dynamics, except with robots.

I think DC's most political comics in recent years was Doomsday Clock (a sequel to the very political Watchmen miniseries) and Dark Knight III by Frank Miller, who is more conservative than most comic writers. The Justice League story arc The Doom War may be about the 2016 election and the results but it is not explicit in its intent.

Doomsday Clock was about reports that the US Government being responsible for creating several superheroes. There is also an international incident in the comic involving Superman and Vladimir Purina.

Dark Knight III, like Miller's past Batman stories, is political, featuring the President and other political analysts discussing Batman's actions. Miller apparently is not a fan of Trump if this artwork from the DKIII epilogue issue is any indication.
https://abload.de/img/dzgk3t.jpg
Rebelofnj

Reply Fri 2 Oct, 2020 06:12 am
@Rebelofnj,
Meant to write Vladimir Putin. Autocorrect is not helpful sometimes.
0 Replies

sillymoood

Reply Wed 18 May, 2022 07:22 am
@FreedomEyeLove,
I sure am! I grew up reading comics and I still enjoy them today. There's something about the mix of story and art that just really appealed to me. I have to admit, though, that I was never really into super hero comics. For me, it was always more about the stories set in the 'real world' with characters that felt like they could be people you might actually meet. That's why I loved those old EC Comics like Tales from the Crypt or Mad Magazine. They were edgy and dark and just so different from anything else on the market.
0 Replies