Old British Money

Reply Sun 6 Sep, 2020 07:00 am
Back in 1970 pre decimalisation, what would a Bob, a Tanner and a Joey be worth in total?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 702 • Replies: 9
No top replies

Miss L Toad

Reply Sun 6 Sep, 2020 07:22 am
@sophocles,
A shilling and nine pence.

0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sun 6 Sep, 2020 07:30 am
@sophocles,
It depends what you mean by a Joey. Before 1855 it was a slang term for a groat, which was worth four old pence. However, just before decimalisation it was the term some used for a three penny piece.

Old money was pounds, shillings and pence, LSD. There used to be twelve old pennies to a shilling. There were twenty shillings to a pound. That meant that come decimalisation a shilling was worth five new pence.

A Bob is an old term for a shilling, a tanner six old pence.

In old money it would be one shilling plus six pence plus three or for pence.

So, one shilling and nine or ten pence which would probably work out at nine new pence today.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sun 6 Sep, 2020 07:33 am
@sophocles,
I was a primary school when decimalisation took place and the terms bob and tanner were familiar, but I have never heard Joey in that context until today.
Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 6 Sep, 2020 08:40 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

I was a primary school when decimalisation took place and the terms bob and tanner were familiar, but I have never heard Joey in that context until today.

Not sure about any of that stuff...

...but somewhere in my old memorabilia stash I know I have a Passion Penny. I gotta see if I can find it. I don't imagine they have any special value...there were many still around when I was in the UK.
izzythepush

Reply Sun 6 Sep, 2020 09:04 am
@Frank Apisa,
Not heard of any of those. My dad used to put shillings before a certain date to one side because they had silver in them.
Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 6 Sep, 2020 10:19 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

Not heard of any of those. My dad used to put shillings before a certain date to one side because they had silver in them.

Wow...you've never heard of a Passion Penny?

I thought just about everyone over in the UK heard about them. The penny kinda looked as though the woman (I think represented Queen Victoria) was using the shaft of what she was holding to bugger herself.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/proxy/yI5Y5q2FeZ98oVyz9VD_AAoDCsBjsyDoaTZX_CyU3Rb8ZoS4rZrWRC4CTM5igDTQnTjA43S6-3mc4ZxYFMCkA-0qmpfNxf60TI8O5Dm7Z1f1gRNpxaBbkYJiUgPBKPpfeCtY_eXqlsBsr19x16R6DP-LWqU

People quickly saw the problem...and it quickly got changed to:

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcT5jv2De5qJuAZe1O2KVclEuOd-gs5jr6Wd5A&usqp=CAU

izzythepush

Reply Sun 6 Sep, 2020 10:21 am
@Frank Apisa,
It’s Britannia, the mythological personification of Britain. She currently adorns the fifty pence piece.
Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 6 Sep, 2020 11:07 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

It’s Britannia, the mythological personification of Britain. She currently adorns the fifty pence piece.

Ahhh,,,you are right.

I used to know that at one time. Now...not so much unless reminded.

Thanks.
nacredambition

Reply Sun 6 Sep, 2020 08:50 pm
@Frank Apisa,
https://www.allcoinvalues.com/images/1891-uk-penny-reverse-28d-rose29.jpg

Also, you don't remember buggery as well as you might.
0 Replies