I Never Use The Down Vote Button, It Seems To Only Fuel The Already Upside Down World In Others.

hightor

Reply Sat 5 Sep, 2020 04:58 am
@Sturgis,
Quote:
There are several instances on this site of people claiming to have placed a member on ignore, yet they keep responding directly to them.

I think that's pretty common. It would be different if all trace of the ignored one were wiped from your personal feed but you often see his words quoted by other people and thus might be prompted to enter the discussion on occasion. For me the best part of the function is just to clear the clutter. Some of these people are quite prolific! Honestly, when I click on a thread and there are a dozen ignored posts one right after the other I can pretty much imagine what kind of shitstorm took place. It's not as if I really missed anything.
0 Replies

Glennn

Reply Sat 5 Sep, 2020 09:06 am
@hightor,
Quote:
"You should have seen me in action, my command of rhetoric and logic was so effective my opponent left the argument!"

Now you're reverting to the drama-queen inside you. I never said that. I said that when it came to an uncomfortable question, the poster refused to answer. In fact, he continued on with the discussion . . . until I asked him again. It was a simple question concerning the topic at hand. And now you, not even knowing which topic was being discussed or which poster I'm referring to, are explaining that the failure of that poster to answer the uncomfortable question put to him was due to him being bored, or otherwise put off. How astute of you.

The clown knew the answer to the question, but because it threatened his belief in authority, he opted to not answer.
Quote:
I don't believe I continued to respond to you in that thread after I'd made that statement.

No, you're not remembering what you said. You said that you were no longer going to respond to my posts on the topic. You further stated that you you were not going to respond to me on any topic. You've simply forgotten what you've said.
Quote:
And if I did, so what?

Oh it's no big deal. It just means that you did what you said you wouldn't do.
Glennn

Reply Sat 5 Sep, 2020 09:53 am
Anyway, the vote-function can offer the poster a psychological boost based on upvotes , or a disinclination to continue based on the fact that 5 downvotes has removed his/her post from view.

It also offers posters who are too shy to speak their mind a sense of power, and there's nothing wrong with that . . . unless there's something wrong with that.
0 Replies

justaguy2

Reply Sat 5 Sep, 2020 10:25 am
@Glennn,
Not sure it takes a lot of "discipline" to not bother wasting time responding to posters that aren't worth the time and effort anyway. There is at least a couple of people here that I refuse to directly respond to, even if they try and bait me into a response (which they have tried to do a number of times, and I've still not responded directly to them). It doesn't mean I won't respond indirectly though, and I reserve the right to do just that - although a lot of the time it isn't even worth doing that either. The same as I've looked at a number threads here and just not even bothered getting involved at all, and therefore have not even made one single post to them. Depending on the topic and others posting to the thread, I might just give an opinion and leave it at that, and people can agree, disagree or whatever else and I don't really care one way or the other.

On the other hand, I've also seen threads here where you get the same posters continuing to post the same arguments to the same thread over, and over again. Like one poster that seems to love telling the other poster concerned "wrong again", then of course the other poster responds in kind, and you get nothing but the same back and forth over, and over again - that's usually when I move on. Because what's the bloody point? So it works both ways.

You seem to be upset because you feel your arguments are valid/true and therefore, the other poster(s) you're referring to should continue to respond to you. Well, the fact of the matter is that they have every right to stop responding to you, and only they really know why they aren't willing to respond anymore. Making assumptions about why they've stopped responding to you are just that, assumptions. And if you're so sure you're right, then why does it even matter? The same as, if you agree people should be allowed to vote up posts here, then it's at least a tad hypocritical to complain about people being able to down vote posts. So the only real solutions would either involve making the feature completely unusable, or getting rid of both up and down voting altogether.

You can also still click on the link to view posts that have been hidden from view for being voted down too much.
Glennn

Reply Sat 5 Sep, 2020 10:58 am
@justaguy2,
Quote:
You seem to be upset because you feel your arguments are valid/true and therefore, the other poster(s) you're referring to should continue to respond to you. Well, the fact of the matter is that they have every right to stop responding to you

I'm going to explain this to you as clearly as possible. The poster I was addressing when I said "wrong again" likes to call me "comrade." I've asked him why he does that, but he has yet to explain himself. Who knows what's going on inside his head?

Anyway, he had no idea which thread I was referring to or which poster, but that didn't stop him from explaining the reasoning behind that unknown poster's reluctance to answer a question. That's how resourceful he is.

But perhaps you are right. Maybe I should apologize to him for telling him he was wrong again. That was rather harsh of me.

And yes, posters have a right to ignore pertinent questions put to them. if they like. But you know that my complaint concerns the removal of posts that have received 5 downvotes.
justaguy2

Reply Sat 5 Sep, 2020 11:09 am
@Glennn,
Just to be clear myself: I wasn't actually referring to you about saying "wrong again", I wasn't even talking about this thread. I was referring to this thread and different posters, not yourself.
hightor

Reply Sat 5 Sep, 2020 11:12 am
@Glennn,
You really take message boards such as this one, and yourself, way too seriously.

I've read some of your responses to other people on other threads. What often seems to be the case is that you'll base your position on someone else's words in a link which you bring into the discussion to counter the opinions expressed in a link posted by someone else. You then proceed to argue your case based on the content of the link you've provided — as if it's been proven. Since the only "proof" offered by either participant is found in cited articles it becomes an exercise in futility. "X says this!" "Oh yeah? Y says this!" I say it's not worth the time or effort.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 5 Sep, 2020 11:14 am
@justaguy2,
Yeah, Oralloy and Monterrey Jack should get a room.
justaguy2

Reply Sat 5 Sep, 2020 11:18 am
@izzythepush,
Yep. They are just as bad as each other in that regard.

Like I said above, what's the bloody point of it?
izzythepush

Reply Sat 5 Sep, 2020 11:39 am
@justaguy2,
I know they could cut and paste last night’s posts and nobody would be any the wiser.
justaguy2

Reply Sat 5 Sep, 2020 11:43 am
@izzythepush,
It's all too obvious to me that at least oralloy/yellow cake has, but most probably MonterreyJack has too. Again, it's just a waste of time and effort - not that that takes much, if any effort mind you...
izzythepush

Reply Sat 5 Sep, 2020 11:50 am
@justaguy2,
There are a few posters on here who have to have the last word regardless. It’s not worth the effort.
0 Replies

Revealing A Secret

Reply Sat 5 Sep, 2020 11:53 am
@hightor,
Quote:
You really take message boards such as this one, and yourself, way too seriously.

Anyone That Uses The Down Vote Button Are The Ones Taking It Way Too Seriously, I Guarantee You All, If The Down Vote Button Was Removed, The Only People That It Would Be An Inconvenience To Are Those That Have Been An Inconvenience To Posters Since The Down Vote Button Was Conceptualized. Not A Single Intelligent Person Uses The Down Vote Button.
justaguy2

Reply Sat 5 Sep, 2020 12:25 pm
@Revealing A Secret,
Quote:
Not A Single Intelligent Person Uses The Down Vote Button.

In your opinion that is...

Like I said above, it's a tad hypocritical to allow people to up vote, but not allow people to down vote. While depending on your view of "post votes" there may not be any value in it at all, if you only had one option, that would de-value whatever value the voting system has currently. The prevailing issue seems to be that posts are hidden from view if it gets down-voted enough.

I've participated on other forums where you could only give reputation for posts, but you couldn't actually down vote posts, and that still got abused. Because on a technical forum it didn't necessarily mean the poster with a high reputation had a lot of technical knowledge, at best it was just a very rough and subjective indicator of other member's respect for that said poster. On the Linux forum I participated in for a number of years, many people would give reputation just because they happened to agree with someone's opinion, even if it was factually/flat out wrong. If you happened to be the main developer of a certain Linux distribution, people would give you reputation for saying what you had for lunch, that didn't help anyone with their technical questions/problems. Here, it's really just a Facebook style "likes" system, which has even less value.

Given all of that, I really don't see why it's bothering you so much. About the only possible issue I can see is the hiding of posts that get down voted enough times. So perhaps the admins could give each poster the option of whether or not to show posts with a vote of negative five or more. But you seem to be saying that nobody should be allowed to down vote posts at all. Well, I don't think that you have the right to impose your will on everyone else like that. If enough people here supported that it would be a different story, but just demanding everyone bows down to your view is pretty arrogant.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 5 Sep, 2020 12:30 pm
@justaguy2,
On settings you can choose whether or not to see downvoted threads/posts, just don’t ask me how it’s done.
0 Replies

Glennn

Reply Sat 5 Sep, 2020 12:39 pm
@hightor,
Quote:
I've read some of your responses to other people on other threads. What often seems to be the case is that you'll base your position on someone else's words in a link which you bring into the discussion to counter the opinions expressed in a link posted by someone else. You then proceed to argue your case based on the content of the link you've provided — as if it's been proven.

Why hightor, if I didn't know better, I'd say that you're taking both yourself and me way to seriously.

And again it appears that, without knowing which topic was being discussed or which poster I was referring to, you're blaming their failure on my style. Hell, if you'd like, I can direct you to the thread in question, and you can answer for them. Do you think you're up to that? Or, would that be taking me way too seriously?

I'm just putting the offer out there. Cuz I'd hate to think that you only needed to be asked, and I neglected doing so.
0 Replies

Revealing A Secret

Reply Sat 5 Sep, 2020 01:36 pm
@justaguy2,
Quote:
Because on a technical forum it didn't necessarily mean the poster with a high reputation had a lot of technical knowledge, at best it was just a very rough and subjective indicator of other member's respect for that said poster.

This Bothers You How? Someone Having A Lot Of Up Votes Makes Them Popular, And Someone Having Down Votes Is Equivalent To You Driving Purposely Next To A Puddle Of Mud And Getting Someone Covered In Mud, It Actually Affects That Person's Image, It Kicks Them Down And Makes Them Look Like They Are Nothing To Binary Human Beings That Only Can See + And -, Not The Integrity Of Someone's Post With Context Regarding Facts And Demonstrable Etiquette. How Can You Call Me Arrogant? You Are Defending Down Voters, The Real Arrogance Of Any Social Media.
justaguy2

Reply Sun 6 Sep, 2020 09:31 am
@Revealing A Secret,
And where did I say it "bothers me" ? You've cherry picked one sentence out of my entire post, but funnily enough, maybe the most pertinent part of it...

This is a forum where pretty much any topic can be discussed, not just technical subjects (and there are far better forums out there for technical questions, particularly Linux related questions than A2K). Therefore, a reputation system like the ones found in technical forums have wouldn't really be relevant or appropriate for a forum like A2K. The point I was making, that you don't understand is this: given what I just said and as I said before, this forum has a Facebook style "likes" system. Therefore whatever meaning the current system has, and as I also said before, would be gone if there was only one option, and therefore it would make it totally pointless. Therefore only having one option would likely just do the very opposite to what you are trying to achieve, if anything. As you seem to be confusing the "quality" of posts with your own personal opinion that down voting is "just someone insulting someone else by way of the down vote button", which is a logical fallacy. Particularly when you have no problem with the up vote button. So how exactly would removing the down vote button make any difference to the "quality" of any discussion here? For example: what difference would there be between someone down voting a post, verses someone posting "you are full of ****" or "I disagree" ?

I've also made the point that any reputation/voting system on any forum can be abused, and I'm sure that it's the same person(s) that regularly down vote my posts, along with other posters posts here. So it just goes to prove, if it's used by humans, there will be someone abusing it. You weren't one of those down voting posts that you disagree with, were you?

You should also note that, and for one thing, I don't really care if they get rid of the voting system here altogether. For another thing, I've once again had my posts down voted in not only this thread, but other threads here as well. I've seen other people's posts down voted for simply disagreeing with others, even though they made valid points. There is a post that's been down voted in this thread for simply saying in response to my earlier post that posters here have the option to disable the hiding of posts that have been down voted too many times. I even got down voted for telling another poster that I wasn't referring to them, and didn't even mention the usernames of who I was referring to. So if anything, I'd have every reason to side with your argument that down voting should be removed.

So why can't you just focus on the discussion and move on, and ignore the "likes" system altogether if you think it has no value ? Again, I don't get why you are so concerned about only one button, let alone why you need to post in large font sizes just to make a point, it's just silly.
Revealing A Secret

Reply Sun 6 Sep, 2020 05:09 pm
@justaguy2,
Quote:
I even got down voted for telling another poster that I wasn't referring to them, and didn't even mention the usernames of who I was referring to. So if anything, I'd have every reason to side with your argument that down voting should be removed.

Underneath Your Pride And Callous Internet Man Personality, (Your Tone Is Very Obvious), Deep Down, Beyond Your Robotic View Of The World With Little Emotive Reaction, You Mentioning How You Got Down Voted Enough, And Not Caring If It Was Removed, As Well As Agreeing With My Position, Is The Pertinent Part Of Your Entire Response, And I Always Go For What Is Pertinent, Which Is A Glimpse Of "You" Outside Of Your Internet Personality.
justaguy2

Reply Sun 6 Sep, 2020 11:57 pm
@Revealing A Secret,
My "pride" doesn't depend on my "ego" like your's obviously does, and I don't have a "robotic view of the world", or anything else for that matter. I've given you my opinion on your "proposal", and explained the reasons for it. I've not personally attacked you in any way in making any of those points. You still don't seem to understand what you're being told, and I was ***not*** "agreeing with your position" either. I said that I don't care either way if they get rid of the "likes" system altogether, but it wouldn't make sense to just have one option if the system is kept in place, that's my position, understand now? As I can't make it any clearer than that. And while I don't know if you are just too stupid to understand, or you are just being willfully ignorant; since you are obviously only interested in responses that agree with you and you are going to personally attack anyone who dares to disagree, even in threads I've not even posted to even once, then there is zero point in continuing any more discussions with you, in this thread or any other.

Therefore, and for the same reasons as above, you've earned your place on my ignore list.

And PS: I don't give a rats ass what you think about me or anyone/anything else. So go ahead and have the last word - I won't be reading any of it.
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/24/2024 at 03:27:00