I Never Use The Down Vote Button, It Seems To Only Fuel The Already Upside Down World In Others.

Reply Fri 4 Sep, 2020 12:01 am
What Is The Point Of A Down Vote Button, Really? If Something Is Really Bad, It Can Be Reported, But What Does A Down Vote Accomplish Besides Revealing How Upside Down You Are As A Person? Does Any GOOD Person Even Notice The Down Vote Button? Is It Only Cynical, Apathetic, Nihilistic People That See No Meaning In The Entire World, Except In That Down Vote Button?

Discussion: The Down Vote Button Is Only Attracting BAD People That Just Never Learned How To Be GOOD, And They Can't See GOOD In Something, Which Leads To The Down Vote Button.

The Down Vote Button Is A Reflection Of Their Own Empty Void, They Cannot See GOOD, So The Up Vote Button Only Exists When They Can Reinforce Their BAD Demeanor, Which Doesn't Have The Cognitive Ability To Recognize That The Down Vote Button Really Does Not Prove Anything.

In Fact It Only Proves That The Down Vote Button Is Equal To The "Godwin's Law", If They Down Vote, Like Calling Someone Hitler In An Argument, They Have Projected Their Empty Void On Both Accounts, Thus They Lose All Credibility By Doing So, As We Are Here To Build Each Other, Not Kick Each Other's Sandcastles Down.

https://www.brainyquote.com/photos_tr/en/w/wclementstone/126453/wclementstone1-2x.jpg
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 8 • Views: 1,083 • Replies: 39

BillRM

Reply Fri 4 Sep, 2020 02:29 am
@Revealing A Secret,
I find it highly interesting what posts get voted down as to my amazement a post of mine that only stated that a fellow poster in my opinion was must more intelligent then he had claim to be in another post on that very thread.

My posting said nothing else but that amusing disagreement that his intellect was anything but average in my opinion and yet it got 6 votes downs.

Strange people indeed.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Fri 4 Sep, 2020 04:42 am
@Revealing A Secret,

some folks use it to collapse topics they are not interested in seeing, ie word games...
Glennn

Reply Fri 4 Sep, 2020 07:38 am
@Region Philbis,
And some people--stalkers--follow other people around for no other reason than to down-vote their posts. And it doesn't matter that you just asked another poster a pertinent question. Some people just have it out for you.

However, I have found that when you take certain persons to task for their statements, they stop replying, and soon after, your post is voted out of sight by people who hate to see their buddy in a corner. The fact that readers can open the hidden post if they want doesn't take away from the fact that it was removed from view . . . in the spirit of censorship.

I've been on lots of sites, but this is the only one where a post can be voted out of view instead of answered, allowing those answer-challenged posters to continue on as if they were not just asked a question. So, five down-votes offers them a get-0ut-of-a-debate-free card, and they grab it. It's not real, but they grab it.
engineer

Reply Fri 4 Sep, 2020 08:07 am
@Glennn,
It's only removed from the view of the person who down voted it. You can't censor a post from someone else's feed.
justaguy2

Reply Fri 4 Sep, 2020 08:09 am
And what is the point of the "Up vote" button? So people can show their agreement for said post(s), so the "Down vote" button is for the opposite.
What does it mean other than that? Whatever you want it to mean, if anything...

What is the point of Facebook, Twitter, etc? So people can tell the world what they had for lunch, dinner, etc, and/or with what they think about joe blow down the road, or whatever other bullshit pops into their head...
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Fri 4 Sep, 2020 08:22 am
@engineer,
Quote:
You can't censor a post from someone else's feed.
you can, if the post is already at a minus-4 and their preference is set to collapse unpopular posts
(which i believe is the default setting, if memory serves)...
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Fri 4 Sep, 2020 08:27 am
@Glennn,
Quote:
I have found that when you take certain persons to task for their statements, they stop replying
maybe they just have you on ignore?

speculate all you want, but there's no way of knowing who thumbed down a particular post...
Glennn

Reply Fri 4 Sep, 2020 08:52 am
@Region Philbis,
Quote:
maybe they just have you on ignore?

That's probably true. However, it is also true that they put me on ignore right after I ask them a pertinent question. And that's okay with me because of what it says about their argument.
hightor

Reply Fri 4 Sep, 2020 09:22 am
@Glennn,
Quote:
And that's okay with me because of what it says about their argument.

Or yours.
Glennn

Reply Fri 4 Sep, 2020 09:45 am
@hightor,
Oh I think it's probably the guy who runs away from pertinent questions whose argument is inferior.
hightor

Reply Fri 4 Sep, 2020 09:53 am
@Glennn,
But how do you know when someone is "running away from pertinent questions" as opposed to simply deciding that some people aren't worth the effort. The results are identical:

Quote:
...they stop replying...

Here, have an upvote.

Glennn

Reply Fri 4 Sep, 2020 10:03 am
@hightor,
Quote:
But how do you know when someone is "running away from pertinent questions" as opposed to simply deciding that some people aren't worth the effort.

Because they have no problem discussing the issue UNTIL a pertinent question is asked. Then they simply stop replying. So, it would seem that being "worth the effort" means not asking for answers. And being not "worth the effort" means that you've asked a question they don't want to answer.
hightor

Reply Fri 4 Sep, 2020 01:10 pm
@Glennn,
You, comrade, have an overly high estimation of yourself and your rhetorical skill.
Quote:
Because they have no problem discussing the issue UNTIL a pertinent question is asked. Then they simply stop replying.

More likely an impertinent question. If I breach the code of message board etiquette, bore someone, or piss someone off I expect people to stop replying to me as well. Hell, I was told by one of my favorite members that she had no interest in continuing any sort of tete-a-tete with me. That is a choice anyone is free to make at any time and it'd be self-serving to use that response as some sort of validation of my debating skills.

Don't blame me when you get downvoted to oblivion; here, have another upvote.
jespah

Reply Fri 4 Sep, 2020 01:13 pm
Y'know, people sometimes ignore or vote down because they're just plain tired of an argument. Or they want to give the other person the last word so they'll shaddap already (just Google sealioning).
Sturgis

Reply Fri 4 Sep, 2020 01:40 pm
@Glennn,
Quote:
...put me on ignore...

Similar to the thumbing, there's no way to know if you have been placed on ignore unless you are told by said individual. Even then, it's not proof, as they may just be saying it to bug you. There are several instances on this site of people claiming to have placed a member on ignore, yet they keep responding directly to them.
Glennn

Reply Fri 4 Sep, 2020 04:10 pm
@hightor,
Quote:
More likely an impertinent question.

Sorry, slick, wrong again. The questions in the thread I'm talking about were pertinent. And THAT'S when another slickster decided to exit the discussion; that's when he got "bored."
Quote:
If I breach the code of message board etiquette, bore someone, or piss someone off I expect people to stop replying to me as well.

What actually happened was they were replying right up until I asked them a question that made them uncomfortable, and now you're trying to turn their failure to respond as some kind of bad reflection on me.
Quote:
Hell, I was told by one of my favorite members that she had no interest in continuing any sort of tete-a-tete with me.

Gee, sorry to hear about that. Maybe it was something you said.
0 Replies

Glennn

Reply Fri 4 Sep, 2020 04:12 pm
@Sturgis,
Quote:
yet they keep responding directly to them.

On a similar note, hightor had once told me in the past that he has no intentions of responding to my posts, but . . .
Glennn

Reply Fri 4 Sep, 2020 04:30 pm
@jespah,
Quote:
Y'know, people sometimes ignore or vote down because they're just plain tired of an argument.

Makes me wonder why they'd hang around a thread that just bugs them. It takes some discipline to look away from what you say you don't like.

Anyway, this isn't about being put on ignore. It's about having your post hidden after 5 down-votes.
hightor

Reply Sat 5 Sep, 2020 02:45 am
@Glennn,
Quote:
The questions in the thread I'm talking about were pertinent.

Well, that's convincing...
Quote:

What actually happened [ Laughing Laughing Laughing ] was they were replying right up until I asked them a question that made them uncomfortable...

You're simply a legend in your own mind. "You should have seen me in action, my command of rhetoric and logic was so effective my opponent left the argument!" More likely he decided he had better things to do. Participation in discussions with faceless posters on a message board isn't mandatory, no one is compelled to answer anyone's questions, and your diagnosis of other people's "discomfort" is simply more self-aggrandizing on your part.
Quote:
hightor had once told me in the past that he has no intentions of responding to my posts, but . . .

I don't believe I continued to respond to you in that thread after I'd made that statement. And if I did, so what? Here, have an upvote.

1. Forums
  2. » I Never Use The Down Vote Button, It Seems To Only Fuel The Already Upside Down World In Others.
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/03/2024 at 10:29:21