A question for muslims, and another one for everyone.

Cyracuz

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2005 06:40 am
The question is about Al terrorista organization, Al Qaida. Don't know how to spell it. I was thinking that perhaps a muslim, with knowledge of the Koran, would perhaps know more about the motivation for blowing yourself up. Wich parts of the Koran is it the terrorist leaders pervert to get people to do this? I'd like to stress that I do not see Islam or the Koran as the cause of this terrorism.

Secondly, are there any people on these forums that think that what the Al Qaida are doing is just? A dicussion with someone of that opinion would be very interesting.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 773 • Replies: 10
No top replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2005 06:53 am
I would have a more personal benevolent feeling toward Islam in general if I would hear, somewhere, a Muslim cleric who would have the balls to condemn the acts of terrorism that occured yesterday in London.

Anytime these massive terrorism events occur, I never hear that there is a huge condemnation statement from a band of mosques. That, along with the acts themselves, annoys the hell out of me.

Makes me think that this oft repeated line that "Islam is a religion of peace" is a huge cowplop.

I recal the major differences that Eliadah stated about Christianity v Islam

Christianity hopes that you do good deeds and that you avoid evil

Islam commands that you good deeds, and that you destroy evil.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Sat 9 Jul, 2005 09:58 pm
Christianity teaches that God sent His Son to suffer and die that others might live.

A minority of radicals in the Islamic community teach that as a good Muslim YOU must send your son to die, that others might suffer and die also.

Why aren't the vast majority of Muslims standing up against this? I wish I knew.

I'd like to think it is because they are simply intimidated, not that they agree with it. But I'm not convinced either way yet.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 9 Jul, 2005 09:59 pm
farmerman - clerics did condemn the bombings in London!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 9 Jul, 2005 10:03 pm
hmmm... I can't find refreneces now.....
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 9 Jul, 2005 10:08 pm
A blurb on BBC's Your thoguhts type thread:
-------------------------------------
Rahul Tandon : East London Mosque : 1500 BST

There was a Friday sermon given by the imam of the mosque. In it he talked about Islam being there to save life. He also talked about the people responsible for yesterday's attack describing them as criminals.

He tried to reassure the muslims who are fearful at the moment. Some of the people I have talked to at the mosque today feel they are being viewed differently when they travel on the tube. They say people stare at them and that leads them to feel slightly scared at the moment.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And a bit from a BBC article:
--------------------------------------
The president of Glasgow Central Mosque, Ashraf Anjum, said Scotland's Muslim community condemned the "indiscriminate attacks on innocent people" which had left at least 50 dead in London.

"Islam is a peaceful religion and it condemns terrorism," he said.

"Qu'ran, the Muslim holy book, states that killing one innocent person is tantamount to killing the whole human race.

"Our heart goes out for the families who have lost their loved ones and we pray for the speedy recovery of the injured people."

There were concerns among many of those gathering for Friday prayers at the mosque that the Muslim community may become a target for anger after the London bombings.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 9 Jul, 2005 10:13 pm
Huh - here are a few - garnered in seconds -

"Muslims Pray for London Bombing Victims

Saturday July 9, 2005 11:31 AM

AP Photo LLP116

By BRIAN MURPHY

AP Religion Writer

Muslim clerics around the world used Friday prayers to condemn the London bombings and the suspected links to Islamic terrorists, but many layered their messages with outcry against perceived Western injustices that feed Muslim anger.

The chain of blasts in central London once again put Muslim leaders in a double-edged position: denouncing bloodshed and terrorism while trying to offer some explanations for the growth of Islamic militancy - led by the U.S.-directed occupation of Iraq and Western support for Israel.

In Jerusalem, prayer leader Yousef Abu Sneineh said British officials portray the attacks as a struggle ``between the civilization of the West and the civilization of terror.''

``Where was the American civilization - and that of its allies - when they attacked Iraq?'' said Sneineh at the Al Aqsa Mosque, the third-holiest shrine in Islam. ``Where was the Russian civilization when it attacked Chechnya?''

He urged the West to ``rethink their policies toward Islam and toward the issues of the Islamic people.''

Others, however, were more direct with their condemnations and sympathies for the victims of the four morning rush-hour blasts Thursday that killed more than 50 people and injured more than 700.

``The explosions ... were barbaric acts by the terrorists,'' Sheikh Jalal Al-Deen Al-Saghir said at the Shiite Muslim Baratha mosque in Baghdad. ``I feel sorry for what happened and call on all countries in the world to agree upon one policy toward terrorism.''

In Senegal in west Africa, Serigne Ahmadou Mbacke, the spiritual leader of the nation's main Muslim group, called the attack ``horrific.''

``Such acts will only tarnish the image of Islam and enlarge the gap between the Muslim world and the West,'' said Bal Mohamad El Bechir, the imam of the El Mina mosque in Noutakchoot, Mauritania.

The president of Spain's influential Association of Moroccan Workers supported ``the need to fight all forms of terrorism.'' But Mustpaha El M'Rebet urged Western officials to dig deeper into Muslim worries and grievances.

``They have to take their glasses off and put others on to see what is happening,'' he said.

Radicals with suspected links to al-Qaida were blamed for train bombings in March 2004 in Madrid that killed 191 people. British investigators said Thursday's attacks also bore the hallmarks of groups with ties to Osama bin Laden's network.

At Tehran University, prayer leader Mohammad Emami Kashani called al Qaida the ``illegitimate child'' of U.S.-led backing for Israel and mocked the ``war on terrorism'' declared by President Bush.

``Bush has said that they confront terrorism effectively,'' said Kashani. ``But what have you gained after so-called effective confrontation? Hasn't (a new terrorist attack) happened again?''

In Gaza City, worshippers left the Ze Noran mosque after hearing a sermon decrying violence in the name of their faith.

``God taught us to be wise and He teaches us that Islam is a religion of mercy and wisdom,'' said Khaled Salah, a 45-year-old teacher. ``No doubt that many (British) committed crimes against us, but nothing can justify random killings.''

Muslim leaders also joined in the condemnations.

Jordan's King Abdullah II expressed his nation's ``solidarity with the British people.''

``Everyone must close ranks and unite efforts to fight all forms of terrorism, the forces that support it and those who stand behind it,'' he said.

Syrian Foreign Minister Farouk al-Sharaa called the attacks ``tragic and awful.''

Speaking in Damascus following talks with Palestinian leader Mahmoud Abbas, al-Sharaa said the bombings ``underscore the need for the people of the region to work together to change this tense climate into a better one that is capable of achieving peace in the region.''

Muslim leaders in the U.S. were urging people to refrain from blaming the entire Arab and Muslim community for the attacks in London.

``This has nothing to do with Islam,'' Ali Lela, imam at the American Moslem Society in Dearborn, Mich., said. ``The first people to suffer, after the victims, are the Muslim community.''

The Washington-based Council on American-Islamic Relations urged prayer leaders to study its 2004 petition that rejects any form of violence in the name of Islam.

``We refused to allow our faith to be held hostage by the criminal actions of a tiny minority acting outside the teachings of both the Quran and the Prophet Mohammad,'' the document states. "

http://www.guardian.co.uk/worldlatest/story/0,1280,-5129322,00.html

This ongoing canard pees me off.

More:

http://www.muhajabah.com/otherscondemn.php

http://icscotland.icnetwork.co.uk/news/uk/today/tm_objectid=15715982&method=full&siteid=50141&headline=muslim-clerics-condemn-bomb-attacks-name_page.html

http://www.aljazeera.com/cgi-bin/news_service/article_full_story.asp?service_ID=9171

http://www.aljazeera.com/cgi-bin/news_service/article_full_story.asp?service_ID=8927

As I said, that was a couple of second's worth.

There ar emany, many more whare these came from.
--
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 9 Jul, 2005 10:15 pm
Maybe I was using the wrong key words?
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sat 9 Jul, 2005 10:16 pm
Don't feel bad, K. You tried.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 9 Jul, 2005 11:18 pm
Lord! I was not criticizing Little k - nor, really, Farmerman - who is a rational and fair person.

'Twas just the aftermath of today's events that blew my cool.

I take it your media do not report the condemnations with any great prominence?
0 Replies

real life

Reply Sat 9 Jul, 2005 11:59 pm
dlowan wrote:
Lord! I was not criticizing Little k - nor, really, Farmerman - who is a rational and fair person.

'Twas just the aftermath of today's events that blew my cool.

I take it your media do not report the condemnations with any great prominence?

We have very little real media to speak of.

The tabloid networks are spending much of their time discussing Hillary's reaction and trying to insinuate that it is Bush's fault that these Wahabbis declared war on us in the 1990's.

I would hope that the overwhelming majority of Muslim clerics and citizens would strongly condemn these murders.
0 Replies