Who are some of your favorite (Stand-Up) comedians?

Real Music

Sat 15 Aug, 2020 09:37 pm
Arnez J

Jay Lamont

Don DC Curry
0 Replies

glitterbag

Sat 15 Aug, 2020 10:54 pm
@Ragman,
Mr. G'bag and myself have seen a two of your favs in person. We saw Richard Prior sometime in the mid 80's, after he recovered from the free-basing thing. He was wearing that red suit and was fantastic. I know many people are turned off by the profanity, but the shock wears off in a few minutes and he transports you into a different world....His story about the mobbed up nightclub, and the woman called Satin Doll they stiffed, Ned the Whino, he was a keen observer.

I saw George Carlin in 1972 when I was 8 months pregnant. My brother, his first wife, my Mom and I saw him at College Park, Md. He was on stage for 2 hours and the audience would respond with cheers when he went into the different bits. Most of the audience could recite his routine word for word but they loved his delivery and to hear him in person. My mother was about 50 years old and when he started his Seven Words bit she almost crawled under her seat...She flinched the first 10 or 15 times he used the 7 words....but she enjoyed everything else. It was a wonderful show.

We've seen Steve Martin about 3 times, all back in his white suit days...His shows were so much fun, gloriously goofy...at one show he started a conga line and offered to take everybody to McDonalds, he came back for encore after one show on roller skates and the Egyptian headdress to perform 'King Tut'.

I've enjoyed many others via comedy albums and HBO specials. I am absolutely crazy for Lewis Black and Kathleen Madigan So many comics/satirists over the years, how about Mort Sahl (he's 93), Bob Newhart still makes me laugh, Robert Klein, Marc Maron, Michelle Wolf and of course my guilty pleasures Sam Kinison, Ron White (they call me tater salad) and Bill Burr.
snood

Sun 16 Aug, 2020 03:14 am
It’s spelled Pryor.

Not usually a spelling-police type, but now I’ve seen it misspelled several times on this thread.

He deserves to at least get spelled correctly.
glitterbag

Sun 16 Aug, 2020 12:32 pm
@snood,
Yes you're right. I didn't look right, but instead of checking I used someone else's spelling. The lesson here folks is always proofread carefully and if you have doubts, check it again.
0 Replies

Real Music

Sun 16 Aug, 2020 12:37 pm
Lisa Lampanelli

Bill Bellamy

Rodney Dangerfield
0 Replies

snood

Sun 16 Aug, 2020 01:59 pm
You sure got a lot of favorites.
Sturgis

Sun 16 Aug, 2020 02:06 pm
@snood,
It's in the general nature of some folks. My favorite genre of music and of fictional subject keeps changing. Back when I was still boozing it up, my favorite was whatever wss given to me for free (or at a nice discount in the torn label bin).

I'll add Don Rickles (much of it) and Ellen DeGeneres
snood

Sun 16 Aug, 2020 02:10 pm
@Sturgis,
Preferences change. I get that. I used to like Chris Tucker years ago. But if someone asks you to list your favorite ‘x’, do you list all the ones you’ve ever favored, or the ones you favor right now?
Sturgis

Sun 16 Aug, 2020 02:22 pm
@snood,
That's why I clarified earlier in the thread about Ed Bluestone and Elayne Boosler years ago.
snood

Sun 16 Aug, 2020 02:27 pm
@Sturgis,
Ok, I guess I needed to be clearer. I was curious about whether RM was naming current favorites or just anyone that was ever a favorite, because his list is getting long - lot longer than mine, anyway.
Sturgis

Sun 16 Aug, 2020 02:33 pm
@snood,
Oh...

Okay. Got it.

0 Replies

Real Music

Sun 16 Aug, 2020 02:52 pm
@snood,
1. I have so many favorites from different generations.

2. The ones I listed are not in any particular order of preferences.

3. The comedians I've listed are random favorites.

4. I guess I could try to rank them in some type of order of preference.

5. Although, that would be very difficult to rank, because my order of preferences
has constantly changed throughout different periods of my life.

6. At different points in my life, my preferences has constantly changed.

7. I also like to recall specific routines of various stand-up comedians.

8. Certain routines are classic to me and will always be funny to me.

9. Then again, certain routines use to be funny to me, but is not as funny to me as it use to be.

10. I definitely like finding out who the various standup comedians that other people enjoy the most.

11. I might try to post some favorite brief and short routines.
At least the ones I can find. Many of my favorite routines, I won't be able to find.

0 Replies

Real Music

Sun 16 Aug, 2020 02:59 pm
@snood,
1. At this exact moment in time, I would say that Kevin Hart is probably my favorite stand-up comedian.

2. When I was kid back in the 1970s, Richard Pryor was my favorite stand stand-up comedian.
0 Replies

Real Music

Sun 16 Aug, 2020 03:34 pm
@snood,
At some point during the 1980s, Eddie Murphy was my favorite stand-up comedian.
snood

Sun 16 Aug, 2020 04:49 pm
@Real Music,
Yeah, I guess he was for a lot of people.
0 Replies

Troz

Mon 17 Aug, 2020 06:01 am
@Real Music,
1. George Carlin
0 Replies

Ragman

Mon 17 Aug, 2020 02:38 pm
@glitterbag,
totally in synch and thanks for sharing.

Every time I think of him, I laugh....Sam Kinison. Bwahahaha
https://youtu.be/vTT34o3QKQY
Ragman

Mon 17 Aug, 2020 03:18 pm
@Ragman,
Furthermore, a video of his first Johnny Carson show telecast in May of 1989. (Pardon the poor but watchable video quality)

Sam Kinison. Bwahahaha
https://youtu.be/7y6OukJ1G3I
0 Replies

nacredambition

Thu 20 Aug, 2020 12:07 am

visceral

Sat 22 Aug, 2020 08:40 pm
@nacredambition,
Sebastian Maniscalco
Kevin Hart
Dave Chappelle
0 Replies