Spiritual but not religious?

MinDSaY

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2005 01:10 pm
So can one be Spiritual but not religious? I know this might sound like the most silliest question, but I was curious. I feel that I am more spiritual than religious, but I don't believe in the existance of God. Is this possible or do I sound stupid.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 835 • Replies: 15
No top replies

bsingh5

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2005 03:42 pm
no you don't sound stupid however you can be spiritual and not believe in god you can believe in nature or in your own definition of God not man kind's def.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2005 03:48 pm
I agree. Each person has his own sense of the universe, and his/her place in it. One does not have to a particular religion, or even believe in a God to be spiritual.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2005 04:01 pm
I don't know what the word "spiritual" means outside of a religious context.

When I was religious, we used the word to mean someone who put God in front of their own desires or needs. I suppose someone can do this in their own way without being part of any organized religion.

But I think that even believing in "Spririts" is religious by definition.
0 Replies

bsingh5

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2005 04:11 pm
Therfore one being spiritual is one believing in a religion? then what about the Wiccian?
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2005 04:16 pm
Isn't Wicca a religion?
0 Replies

agrote

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2005 04:28 pm
Re: Spiritual but not religious?
MinDSaY wrote:
So can one be Spiritual but not religious? I know this might sound like the most silliest question, but I was curious. I feel that I am more spiritual than religious, but I don't believe in the existance of God. Is this possible or do I sound stupid.

Anyone who believes in anything spiritual sounds stupid to me. Razz

That sounds harsh, but I think the whole spiritual idea is silly. What the hell is a spirit? From what I hear, it's some sort of thing that manages to disobey the physical laws of the universe - how does it get away with that?
0 Replies

bsingh5

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2005 04:52 pm
how do we manage to set up rules and then just break them to suit oursleves?
0 Replies

bsingh5

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2005 04:54 pm
e-brown

i do not know is it? i think it is but....
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2005 06:08 pm
I don't think that being spiritual necessarily means that you believe in material spirits; that's animism.

Can't "spiritual" simply mean that you feel a relationship with something outside your own self be it another person or any living thing? I think the important words defining spirituality are "feel" and "relationship."

One can be religious without feeling or relating; concepts or dogma are sometimes central to religions to the extent that they preclude a spiritual relationship, especially in conservative religions.
0 Replies

bsingh5

Reply Thu 7 Jul, 2005 08:34 am
too true
0 Replies

BlaiseDaley

Reply Thu 7 Jul, 2005 11:47 am
I think the idea of there being no "them" goes a long way towards explaining the spiritual vs. religious issue. Also, I reckon the notion that we're all made of the same stuff and that there is something worthy in the teachings of all religions captures the idea of having spiritual beliefs rather than religious ones. Whether there is a God or not there is still a certain way we should treat one another...IMHO
0 Replies

alakritz

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2005 03:59 pm
bsingh5 wrote:
how do we manage to set up rules and then just break them to suit oursleves?

I completely understand what you mean. It seems that people who believe in religion the most, seem to do the most un godlly things (killing abortion doctors, KKK), and they all swear that they are doing in the name of God. But I was raised a Southern Baptist and we were taught that only god can hand down a judgement. So for a long time, I was just plain confused. The I discovered Wicca, which some say is a religion. I don't really agree that statement but I have a much clearer understanding of things since I have started the path. For one, judging others. The Wicca creed is "and ye harm none and do as ye will" I would never try and discredit some other person's belief simply because I did not agree with it. I hurt no one, and therefore deserve to be left alone by others. I think that is the one godly vow that no religion seems to get other than Buddhist. No one has made us judge and jury. And no one has the right to try and step in for God. We left England to escape religious persecution only to come to a new world and become exactly what escaped from.
0 Replies

bsingh5

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2005 09:10 am
alakritz--

Hinduism as well chooses that path....thus the law of karma "what we reap that we shall sow"....and i completly agree with you
0 Replies

diagknowz

Reply Wed 13 Jul, 2005 07:16 pm
Re: Spiritual but not religious?
agrote wrote:
What the hell is a spirit?

The immaterial part of you is your spirit, or your soul.
0 Replies

bsingh5

Reply Fri 15 Jul, 2005 12:49 pm
it is also considered to be immortal and a part of God
0 Replies