Does Justice Ginsburg really have to hold on until January?

Reply Fri 17 Jul, 2020 06:52 pm
Justice Ginsburg is making a heroic effort to stay well enough to stay on the court until Trump is defeated. Let along a medal of honor, she deserves to be sainted.

I wondering how long she has to hold on. If she becomes unable to serve after the election and Trump loses the election. Will the Republicans still jam a nominee through the Senate?

I don't know what the rules are. I like to think that Republicans aren't this evil.

farmerman

Reply Fri 17 Jul, 2020 06:57 pm
@maxdancona,
they did it to obama. Hw had almot 3/4 of a ywar to go and the Senate Judicial Committe and Maj Leader , Moscow Mitch, didnt even let it be debated.An Mitch gave one of his asshole reasons that were what Id expect that lying felonious douche bag to pull.

McGentrix

Reply Fri 17 Jul, 2020 10:57 pm
Obama was a lame duck. Trump is not.
oralloy

Reply Sat 18 Jul, 2020 03:05 am
@McGentrix,
Well technically Max was positing a scenario where Mr. Trump lost the election and so would be a lame duck.

Although it certainly isn't a very realistic scenario.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sat 18 Jul, 2020 03:26 am
maxdancona wrote:
Let along a medal of honor, she deserves to be sainted.

Don't be silly. She's a bad person who malevolently allows our civil liberties to be violated for no reason.

maxdancona wrote:
If she becomes unable to serve after the election and Trump loses the election. Will the Republicans still jam a nominee through the Senate?

That depends on whether the Republicans retain a majority in the Senate after the election.

If the Republicans retain a majority in the Senate, they will very much jam through a hard-right nominee in your proposed scenario.

If the Democrats take both the Senate and the White House, the Republicans probably will let the Democrats have the nomination.

maxdancona wrote:
I don't know what the rules are.

There are no rules.

However, if the Democrats claim both the Senate and the White House in the election, they will have power to retaliate in January, and the Republicans will almost certainly choose to exercise restraint.

maxdancona wrote:
I like to think that Republicans aren't this evil.

Your feared scenario is hardly an example of evil. Setting aside the fact that the left is not deserving of even token consideration or respect, Democrats appoint nominees who allow our civil liberties to be wantonly violated.

We want more Trump appointees on the Supreme Court. If the Republicans have the power to do this, they need to exercise that power.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sat 18 Jul, 2020 03:29 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
they did it to obama. He had almost 3/4 of a year to go and the Senate Judicial Committee and Maj Leader, Moscow Mitch, didn't even let it be debated. An Mitch gave one of his asshole reasons that were what Id expect that lying felonious douche bag to pull.

What's sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander.

If Democrats didn't want Mr. Obama's Supreme Court pick to be blocked, they shouldn't have blocked W's executive nominees in 2007-08.

I keep telling Democrats when they pull dirty tricks like this that Republicans will turn around and do the same thing back to them.

Democrats should consider listening to my advice once in awhile.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sat 18 Jul, 2020 04:00 am
https://i.redd.it/r95z3866mt611.png
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 18 Jul, 2020 04:29 am
@McGentrix,
So the Senate re defined the whole review program and Garland didnt even get a looksee?? . It was merely control politics by MM thats all.

oralloy

Reply Sat 18 Jul, 2020 05:08 am
@farmerman,
What's sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander. Remember how the Democrats blocked W's executive nominees in 2007-08.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 18 Jul, 2020 08:02 am
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:

Obama was a lame duck. Trump is not.

Like hell he isn't.
Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 18 Jul, 2020 08:03 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

Justice Ginsburg is making a heroic effort to stay well enough to stay on the court until Trump is defeated. Let along a medal of honor, she deserves to be sainted.

I wondering how long she has to hold on. If she becomes unable to serve after the election and Trump loses the election. Will the Republicans still jam a nominee through the Senate?

I don't know what the rules are. I like to think that Republicans aren't this evil.

If Justice Ginsburg were to die or resign...McConnell will do everything possible to confirm whatever piece of garbage comes down to him from the White House.
oralloy

Reply Sat 18 Jul, 2020 08:17 am
@Frank Apisa,
That will depend on whether the Democrats take both the White House and Senate in the coming election.

If they do, then Mr. McConnell will probably show a bit of restraint.

The idea that a justice who upholds the Constitution is a piece of garbage is a bit extreme. What have you got against the Constitution?
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sat 18 Jul, 2020 08:20 am
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:
Like hell he isn't.

He won't be a lame duck unless he loses the election. That will be unlikely to happen.

But even if it is going to happen, it hasn't happened yet.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Fri 18 Sep, 2020 06:03 pm
Ruth Bader Ginsburg is Dead

https://apnews.com/684a0e1a2ae195ec32aa64684143e2f3
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Fri 18 Sep, 2020 08:08 pm
I am hearing rumblings of a possible Senate Republican resistance to pushing through a nomination before January. All we need is 4 Republicans to decide to be decent..

I believe we already have 2 (Romney and Murkowski).

Hopefully the Republicans won't start this mess. We don't need another shitstorm.
oralloy

Reply Fri 18 Sep, 2020 08:17 pm
@maxdancona,
I'm in favor of the Senate not confirming until after the election.

If the Democrats were to take control over the House, Senate, and White House, they would have the power to expand the Supreme Court to 15 seats and let Mr. Biden pick the nominees for the 6 new seats.

If the Democrats win it all in November, the Republicans should reach an agreement with the Democrats to leave the nomination for RBG's replacement open for Mr. Biden in exchange for not expanding the number of seats on the Supreme Court.

But if after the election the Republicans still hold either the White House or the Senate, then the Democrats will be unable to pack the court. In that case the Republicans should absolutely ram through confirmation of Mr. Trump's nominee in a lame duck session.
maxdancona

Reply Fri 18 Sep, 2020 08:22 pm
@oralloy,
I think that if Trump loses the election, the Republican party splinters. You have the business wing, and the patriot wing, and the religious wing, and the gun wing... they all have different interests that are being held together for now by Trumpism.

You are not are going to get 50 Republicans to agree on a nominee if Trump loses.

In the highly unlikely even that Trump wins a second term but loses the Senate... then you might see a push to confirm before January.

oralloy

Reply Fri 18 Sep, 2020 08:27 pm
@maxdancona,
I disagree. If Mr. Trump loses but the Republicans keep the Senate, Republican senators will strongly prefer Mr. Trump's nominee over anyone who Mr. Biden will nominate.

Plus if Trump loses but the Republicans hold the Senate, Mitch McConnell will become the new leader of the Republican Party. I don't anticipate too much fracturing.
maxdancona

Reply Fri 18 Sep, 2020 08:36 pm
@oralloy,
We will see... the magic number is 4. With 4 Republican No votes, any nominee fails.

We already have Romney and Murkowski saying they will do the honorable thing (and they talking about honor rather than about partisanship).

Any of these Republican Senators could joint them:

Susan Collins
Mike Lee
Jerry Moran
Rob Portman
Bob Corker
Jeff Flake
Marco Rubio
Chuck Grassley
Joni Erst

Plus any other Republican Senator who Trump has secretly pissed off. Once Trump loses... there isn't any reason to kowtow to him.

Plus there are Republican Senators like Ted Cruz who vowed to "never confirm a judge in an election year".
oralloy

Reply Fri 18 Sep, 2020 08:45 pm
@maxdancona,
If those Republican senators face an incoming Biden Administration, Mr. Trump's nominee is going to start looking a whole lot better to them.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Does Justice Ginsburg really have to hold on until January?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 05/11/2024 at 02:36:19