Should BRITISH Welfare State be actually abolished?

Badboy

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2005 08:20 am
Perhaps it should only be for the disabled and pensioners.

What do you think?

Some people say`it was set up so I can have children at taxpayers expense'

Do you think welfare should be actually abolished.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,315 • Replies: 37
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2005 08:23 am
Yes, and poor people should be abolished as well--they are an eyesore, have no conversation and often have an unpleasant smell.
0 Replies

MinDSaY

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2005 09:31 am
No it should not be abolished. As for making it for disabled people only? People might chop their arm off to get this money and there are people out there who will actually do such a thing.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2005 11:59 am
What a ridiculous idea.

There is such a thing as white noise.That's black noise.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2005 12:33 pm
Badboy, I would assume that you are from the UK, so I would ask you to do some serious research on the living conditions of ordinary British folk at around the turn of the 20th Century (1890 - 1910 will do).

No National Health Service, no welfare to speak of, and grinding poverty for anyone who could not make a living for whatever reason.

If you were able to meet one of your ancestors from that time, and told him about our standard of living today and how everyone is fed and cared for, he would be amazed.
If anyone suggested to him that such a wondrous civilized thing should be removed, he would probably bat them round the head repeatedly, in an attempt to help them realise just what their Country has achieved.

There are always people that will abuse Welfare. There will always be loopholes in the Welfare set up, so that it can be abused.
But on the whole, it is a marvellous thing and provides a basic safety net that our forefathers would have never thought possible.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2005 12:44 pm
One should try being poor in America for a while, then decide if the British welfare state should be abolished. No health care and a minimum wage that's impossible to live on.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2005 12:59 pm
BB

And note that His Worship and myself are both double-dyed Tories.
0 Replies

Mathos

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2005 01:30 pm
The envy of the world.

We take great pride in our Welfare State, and we all donate pro-rata.
0 Replies

Badboy

Reply Wed 10 Aug, 2005 04:50 am
Members of the Saviour Sect(Muslims extremists who condone terrorism) believe that living off the state is a obligation,as well as not having drivers licences/insurance.

Being a parasite off the system they abhor.
0 Replies

thethinkfactory

Reply Wed 10 Aug, 2005 06:27 am
This should be in politics.

TTF
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Wed 10 Aug, 2005 07:58 am
It should be in the waste disposal.
0 Replies

Ray

Reply Thu 11 Aug, 2005 12:02 am
Well it's staying here...
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 11 Aug, 2005 03:55 am
Please excuse my ignorance, but what sort of state is the British welfare system in, in 2005? Living as I do with an extreme right wing government in my own country, I would not be at all surprised if the original welfare ideal was not tampered with during those ruthless Thatcher years. I'll be delighted if I'm wrong. Here in Oz there's quite a bit of nibbling away at the edges of anything that suggests financial support for the riff raff. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Thu 11 Aug, 2005 04:06 am
Let it stay here Ray.

It won't make any difference.Only people who understand a welfare state are allowed anywhere near the business end of it.
0 Replies

Badboy

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2005 07:04 am
I see there is approxiametly £3Billion a year wasted either through fraud or error.
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2005 07:18 am
Badboy wrote:
I see there is approxiametly £3Billion a year wasted either through fraud or error.

And?
0 Replies

parados

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2005 08:23 am
My guess would be that the military over there probably wastes more than that every year. Should you eliminate that?

The military is the largest pit of waste and fraud in the US. They can lose 3 billion in a couple of weeks.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2005 08:31 am
Quote:

How naive can you get?Do you count on your fingers?
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2005 08:39 am
I would like to correct what may have caused a false impression of my position.

I wrote
Quote:
It should be in the waste disposal.

Unfortunately this post appeared on the top of a page and may have led some threaders to think I am in favour of binning our wonderful welfare state.

I was referring to the previous post and meant that this thread should be in the waste disposal on the grounds of its utter fatuity,general all round pointlessness and abject ignorance.

Thank you for bearing with me.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2005 09:00 am
got you loud and clear spendiman

The national health service is just about the only civilised thing left in this coutry. Even if it does exist sometimes more as a theoretical idea than practise.

On the other hand I saw my doctor without delay recently (10 minutes walk). There is "national health direct" phone service where you can speak to a health care professional. The emergency 999 service still works. There is a "NHS walk in" or as I like call it "limp in" centre only a few minutes away where you can see a nurse or doctor without appointment. The main general hospital is about 1 mile from here. Its all free at the point of delivery. It really does amuse me when some Americans think that our NHS must be one step away from communist dictatorship. Speaking of which Cuba has a lower infant mortality rate than the United States.
0 Replies