Salted Pizza?

Sturgis

Reply Mon 13 Jul, 2020 04:00 pm
So another day is upon us and thoughts are cluttering up the windmills of my mind...(maybe I can write a song of that name). A while back, towel-rack guy came by (pre-Covid) and we ordered a Sicilian pizza. I've always liked Sicilian pizza. Especially the corners.

So, there I am with my first slice and I notice Towel-rack is wandering around my kitchen. WELl, it's not a large kitchen, it is however functional. He's clearly distressed. Eventually I ask what he is doing.

Turns out, he is poking around trying to find salt.

Oh.

I tell him I don't know where it might be; but, I'm almost certain there is a box of it somewheres. I bought it some time in the last 15-25 years. You see I grew up with very little added salt (Mother didn't care for salt, so, food rarely had it added in during cooking.).

Similarly, I'm not much for adding salt.

Turns out old Towel-rack puts salt on his pizza.

What? Who does that? Pizza already has a high sodium content. Good pizza doesn't need any additive...well, other than a healthy sprinkling of powdered garlic.

He claims that his entire family does this. He says they always add salt to all dinner food.

Yuck!
Ugh!

Well, he eventually ate a single piece of pizza. He's seemed confused.

Still have not located the salt box. Not to worry though as I've accumulated some 10 of those packets from the takeout/delivery places.

Towel-rack guy departed, taking a couple of slices with him. Probably poured a cup of salt on them when he got home.

I'd ask, however he confessed to a year+ long addiction to black market Adderall. As he began to give that up he went into anger at every person mode. This was the day before the city went into lockdown mode.

Since he was 75 this year, the picture might be quite bleak for his health. I don't know since he made clear he did not exactly want me calling him. The The last 10years of him were exhausting. The last 5 in particular as he played games with a half dozen or more narcotics.

So, back to the start here....

Salt on pizza? Is this a thing people do?

Ragman

Reply Mon 13 Jul, 2020 04:05 pm
@Sturgis,
Can I ask why he’s called towel rack guy?

BTW, interesting storytelling. I made my own pizza this afternoon. Store bought thin crust, custom iced jarred sauce, fresh mushrooms and no added salt. I prebaked the crust for 5 min, coated with olive oil. I used a ceramic stone to bake it on, topped with low-fat mozzarella and crushed basil from the backyard. N ot Too bad.
Sturgis

Reply Mon 13 Jul, 2020 04:16 pm
@Ragman,
He got the moniker Towel-rack guy when he went to Home Depot and then Bed, Bath and Beyond in search of a towel rack.

So, what'd he get? No, not a towel rack. he got one of those gizmos that hangs over the top of the door and has several pegs/hooks. He then whined about how it wouldn't hold a stack of towels and that he needed to cut down the top of the door because this gizmo kept the door from closing.
Ragman

Reply Mon 13 Jul, 2020 04:22 pm
@Sturgis,
I tried one of those myself. I had to then file off 2 notches (Mallus noches ) which then defaced the door. Then I had to paint the door. Of course, in doing so, I fell off the stool. I then borrowed a step ladder from a neighbor who had prior to this borrowed it from me.
Sturgis

Reply Mon 13 Jul, 2020 04:33 pm
@Ragman,
Be sure to thank your thoughtful neighbor for not losing the ladder.

Years ago there was a hook on the back of my bathroom door. Since there was no door-bumper -stopper (can't recall the name of the thing) the hook proceeded to put a deep hole in the wall each time it was opened (the door, not the hole). I took the hook off and got the hole patched up and painted over.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 13 Jul, 2020 04:35 pm
I ate salted food as a kid, but once I had to provide for myself I quit adding any. I still buy salt, because when I boil eggs the salt makes them boil quicker. I used to watch my stepfather pepper slices of watermelon until black and then salt them until white before eating them.
Sturgis

Reply Mon 13 Jul, 2020 04:40 pm
@edgarblythe,
Yipes!

(to the pepper and salt)
Region Philbis

Reply Mon 13 Jul, 2020 04:52 pm
@Sturgis,

pizza is salty enough, as is.

in fact, its my go-to meal before i embark on a long walk, where a public bathroom may or may not be available.

the salt content dehydrates me just enough so i don't need to pee until after i've reached my destination... sometimes well after...
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 13 Jul, 2020 04:52 pm
@Sturgis,
I have a friend who salts his buttered bread. HEAVILY!!
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Mon 13 Jul, 2020 04:54 pm
Order it with anchovies. That'll make it plenty salty.
Sturgis

Reply Mon 13 Jul, 2020 05:03 pm
@oralloy,
No to anchovies!
My only use for anchovies is in the Worcestershire sauce.

My problem with pizza is sleep disruption. As Region noted, the salt dehydrates. During the night, I wake and guzzle water.

Give up eating pizza? Not sure that is gonna ever happen!
engineer

Reply Mon 13 Jul, 2020 07:02 pm
@Sturgis,
Just as an experiment, next time try a little salt on your pizza. I don't use a lot of salt, but I put salt in olive oil if I'm dipping bread in it. A restaurant did that for me once and it completely changed the flavor. A good bread in salted olive oil is now one of my favorites.
laughoutlood

Reply Mon 13 Jul, 2020 08:27 pm
@Sturgis,
Quote:
So another day is upon us and thoughts are cluttering up the windmills of my mind...(maybe I can write a song of that name).

Don't join in the chorus (7) R _ F _ A _ N

The Mindmills Of Your Wind

Secret circles that conspire, wheeling deals within your spiel
Never ending or beginning Grumpy's feel for the unreal
There is no mental illness they must all be whacked on goon
The government made movies no man landed on the moon
Global warming and climate change form a scientific hoax
And there's no such thing as atoms whereas gravity's a joke
Like the circles that you find on the score card of your mind

Rabbit tunnels that you follow for the paranormal news
Fakes so hollow the illiterate obtain a sounder view
Like a door that keeps revolving onto Edvard Munch's scream
It's the piffle that you peddle like a half forgotten dream
For unmitigated drivel you are clearly quite unmatched
A mind so full of babble that the brain's become detached
Like the circles that you find on the score card of your mind

Smart meters empty pockets, tin hats jangle on your head
Why did ET go so quickly, was it something that you said?
Ain't no such thing as science, evolution is a scam
The Pentagon owns Pizzagate and all Hollywood's glam
Dali's painting shows us all why Einstein's clocks don't work today
All those Stephen Hawking clones were working for the CIA
How the psychotropic sauces are put in your beans on toast
Why the autumn rain's not falling where the water's needed most

Like a circle in a spiral, like a wheel within a wheel
Never ending or beginning on your ever spinning spiel
As the images unwind, like the circles that you find
On the score card of your mind

URL: https://able2know.org/topic/492508-2
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Mon 13 Jul, 2020 11:07 pm
@engineer,
A good bread all on it's own can usually give me contentment. Then too, I've never dipped bread in oil olive or any other. Soggy bread can sometimes offend me.
Ragman

Reply Tue 14 Jul, 2020 05:13 am
@Sturgis,
A nice crusty bread dipped in salt and rosemary never gets soggy. The olive oil clings but doesn’t soak the bread.
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 14 Jul, 2020 07:16 am
The Mindmills of Your Wind is a great song.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 14 Jul, 2020 07:24 am
@Sturgis,
agreed sounds gross to me. I am also someone who rarely uses salt on things. I do remember some people when getting pizza adding salt to it.

Never thought to ask why -- I think some people just automatically add salt to everything as it comes out.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 14 Jul, 2020 07:30 am
@Ragman,
Ragman wrote:

Can I ask why he’s called towel rack guy?

BTW, interesting storytelling. I made my own pizza this afternoon. Store bought thin crust, custom iced jarred sauce, fresh mushrooms and no added salt. I prebaked the crust for 5 min, coated with olive oil. I used a ceramic stone to bake it on, topped with low-fat mozzarella and crushed basil from the backyard. N ot Too bad.

I make my own as well - like you no salt added. Made a portabella shroom and caramelized onion one just the other day. I usually do not pre-cook the crust - ideally I put it on a stone on the grill as it gets really hot then - no need to pre-cook the crust then. Yeah I usually do thin crust.

For this pizza - I carmalized the onions(I do add a little salt and pepper at this stage) and then saute the shrooms - had the stone on the heat - roll out dough, bring in stone piping hot - throw the dough on the stone add olive oil and brush not the crust, add some fresh minced garlic, thyme, fresh mozzarella cheese, the onions and shrooms - throw back on the grill.

Really tasty
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Tue 14 Jul, 2020 02:50 pm
@Ragman,
I'll take your word for it. Can I add garlic to the mix as well?
Ragman

Reply Sat 18 Jul, 2020 08:30 pm
@Sturgis,
Oops, I meant to put down garlic. Always do it with onions.
0 Replies