Salted Pizza?

chai2

Reply Sat 18 Jul, 2020 10:32 pm
I grew up without much salt either, FWIW

Yeah, pizza is salty enough.

Yeah re some people salting everything.
I remember at a backyard cookout as a child this guy salted his hamburger until it was white. His young son (maybe 12) did the same thing. Monkey see, monkey do.

I think I was about 12 also at the time. I watched this in horror.

Funny thing, since I avoid all carbs, I actually have to add salt to my diet. I guess not the carbs found in, oh, vegetables, but in starches hold a lot of water.

If you're not eating them, you can get depleted of fluids. Makes you feel ill.
I have fun though trying different salts, from the bulk bins.

Different salts actually do taste different. I could never go back to plain old Mortons now.

0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Wed 22 Jul, 2020 04:00 pm
In the unbelievable, 'you can't make this up' category (I'll mention category again shortly), I saw the doctor. We were talking and then i mentioned Towel Rack Guy.

I told her about the salt on the pizza and most other food he shovels into his mouth. Expected her to say that such behaviour is not good.

Nope. Turns out, she too sprinkles salt on pizza.

I think I might have to contact another doctor... this one is not a good picture of health and really, the idea of a doctor keeling over dead in my presence does not appeal to me.

On the word category, there seems to be another tropical storm or soon to be hurricane brewing in the Atlantic. Maybe it can get here quickly and maybe cool off the temps.

It's times like this that I'd like a prescription for morphine.

And 4 months now of peace and no calls from Towel Rack... wonder if he finally got off his various black market meds.

Next up, salted coffee...

..yep. It's a thing.
glitterbag

Reply Wed 22 Jul, 2020 11:22 pm
@Sturgis,
Salted coffee??? I just felt a wave of nausea. I always loved caramel, but the salted caramel turns me off. Usually a tiny bit of salt livens up almost everything, but I mean tiny..
chai2

Reply Thu 23 Jul, 2020 12:41 am
@glitterbag,
How do you feel about dark chocolate with a little sea salt?

That's really good.
engineer

Reply Thu 23 Jul, 2020 05:42 am
So has anyone tried it yet (salt on pizza)? I must say I'm slightly repulsed but also intrigued.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 23 Jul, 2020 06:50 am
I salt almost everything.

I'm two weeks away from my 84th birthday...and my blood pressure last check up was 118 over 78...which is about where it is normally...so salt does not seem to be a problem.

This is what my pizzas look like...mushrooms, sauted eggplant pieces, tiny bits of pepperoni, lots of garlic, mozzarella cheese. I sometimes add sliced Italian peppers.

https://i.postimg.cc/nLnhFn22/100-2418.jpg
McGentrix

Reply Thu 23 Jul, 2020 08:48 am
@Frank Apisa,
That is a good looking pizza, Frank.
engineer

Reply Thu 23 Jul, 2020 08:59 am
@McGentrix,
We've starting doing the homemade pizza thing since we've been minimizing going out and it's been great. I may have to sneak some salt on a slice just to test out the concept. We usually have extra, so if I ruin a piece, I won't go hungry.
McGentrix

Reply Thu 23 Jul, 2020 09:02 am
@engineer,
Start with garlic salt... just salt is no bueno.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 23 Jul, 2020 09:04 am
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:

That is a good looking pizza, Frank.

Thank, McG. Good tasting, too!
McGentrix

Reply Thu 23 Jul, 2020 09:28 am
@Frank Apisa,
What kind of cheese do you use?
Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 23 Jul, 2020 11:40 am
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:

What kind of cheese do you use?

Always whole milk mozzarella which I grate (shred) myself (in the freezer for 15 minutes then course grated.) My personal preference is NOT to use a fresh made mozzarella...but rather a store bought one. Fresh made is terrific with tomatoes and basil as an appetizer, but the store bought is better for pizza.
McGentrix

Reply Thu 23 Jul, 2020 12:08 pm
@Frank Apisa,
I agree with Whole Milk, but I prefer low moisture. I worked pizza shops high school through college. Learnt a lot.
glitterbag

Reply Thu 23 Jul, 2020 12:24 pm
@chai2,
Not really crazy about it. Dark chocolate was always my favorite, but I am just not all that fond of sweets. I used to love getting fresh donuts at the Amish market, but now I find them way too sweet. Mr G'bag however cannot be trusted around anything sweet.....I have to hid cookies or candies if I want to have things on hand when my grand daughter comes over.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 23 Jul, 2020 12:50 pm
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:

I agree with Whole Milk, but I prefer low moisture. I worked pizza shops high school through college. Learnt a lot.

The "low moisture" is the main reason why I do not use the fresh mozzarella for pizza. Set on a dish with tomato slices, fresh mozzarella and basil...the fresh is great. But on a pizza, it just turns it soggy.
0 Replies

solipsister

Reply Thu 23 Jul, 2020 09:01 pm
@Sturgis,
Salty carmel ice cream for dessert.

0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Fri 24 Jul, 2020 03:40 pm
In what some may find to be amazing or exciting news, I located my missing box of salt. It was in the metal stand alone kitchen cabinet. Top shelf, on its side and hidden from view by a few items.

I looked at it and then put it back. If I find a need for salt down the road, I hope I remember this.
chai2

Reply Fri 24 Jul, 2020 07:05 pm
@Sturgis,
Oh thank God! Laughing
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Sat 25 Jul, 2020 02:44 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
...118 over 78...

Show off!

I have a home monitor and it registered a bothersome 177/106 at 2p.m. today. I'm on meds for it...again.

I have a lengthy history of fluctuating b.p. It stays high for years, then drops to respectable level and stays there for a few years. Salt is not the issue. It's just a part of me. It changes even if I don't alter how much or what I eat.

I just am not too fond of salt. Canned food often makes me want to gag due to the sodium content.
Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 26 Jul, 2020 05:29 am
@Sturgis,
Sturgis wrote:

Quote:
...118 over 78...

Show off!

I have a home monitor and it registered a bothersome 177/106 at 2p.m. today. I'm on meds for it...again.

I have a lengthy history of fluctuating b.p. It stays high for years, then drops to respectable level and stays there for a few years. Salt is not the issue. It's just a part of me. It changes even if I don't alter how much or what I eat.

I just am not too fond of salt. Canned food often makes me want to gag due to the sodium content.

Sorry to hear about the big numbers, Sturgis. Gotta be something that is always on your mind.

I have in-laws with high BP problems...and I know it makes a difference in the way I cook when I am host for a family dinner.

Hope the medicine helps stabilize it for you. Stay safe.
0 Replies