What should I use as a natural deterrent to keep slugs off and away from my property?

Ragman

Reply Wed 1 Jul, 2020 04:52 am
@JGoldman10,
Why not draw ugly cartoon drawing of slugs? They might get offended and go next door. Or just take them over to your neighbors in the first place.
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 1 Jul, 2020 05:55 am
Ragman

Reply Wed 1 Jul, 2020 08:37 am
@edgarblythe,
Excellent job with that video, which explains and also shows how effective the beer trap can be. Good job! Much appreciated.
0 Replies

mark noble

Reply Thu 2 Jul, 2020 08:25 am
@JGoldman10,
I've read this Entire Thread - Thanks Folks! Made my awesome day moreso.

I have 'gardening' tendencies - Killing is Never an option, Imo - You folk - Do as thou Wilt - I agree with the 'do what wilt' Though I abstain from killing or causing harm - As I wilt.

The Best method, I have found, for preservation of early plantgrowth from hungry slugfests is - Ignorance.

I just Ignore them - They all vanished, soon afterwards - Have had 2 This year (From reduced-price, shop-bought Begonia (Under Pot-Drainhole squatters))

So I followed my own advice 'IGNORANCE'.

I threw them over the hedge, into my neighbours' garden - Commenced my 'IGNORANCE' Directive, And... NEVER seen Them Since.

Works For Me.

Have A Lovely Day
Linkat

Reply Thu 2 Jul, 2020 09:16 am
@Ragman,
Ragman wrote:

Why not draw ugly cartoon drawing of slugs? They might get offended and go next door. Or just take them over to your neighbors in the first place.

You could have a super slug! One that can survive the beer pond!
hightor

Reply Thu 2 Jul, 2020 10:49 am
@Linkat,
Successful slugs can actually live for four or five years. Every now and then I'll uncover one of these "superslugs" — they're impressive, bigger than a Vienna sausage, and almost as tasty.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 2 Jul, 2020 10:53 am
@hightor,
Slugs don't live to four or five over here, we've got hedgehogs.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Thu 2 Jul, 2020 01:33 pm
@Linkat,
Regular slugs are bad enough. I don't want to think about any superslugs.
Sturgis

Reply Thu 2 Jul, 2020 01:56 pm
@JGoldman10,
Perhaps you need be supplicate yourself to the God of your understanding.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 2 Jul, 2020 02:05 pm
@JGoldman10,
Too late there is already a cartoon with super slugs

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/Cw93MfMqn-cXcoKL7-MxU4mHU5KttUyTH-E11exsjJ0AeKH9R-Sp3OJ0rw4-Pzs67w
JGoldman10

Reply Fri 3 Jul, 2020 12:54 am
@Linkat,
By "superslugs" I just meant larger-than-normal slugs, not slugs that are necessarily endowed with any special abilities and/or attributes.

I recall reading somewhere that agricultural scientists were developing supercattle; dairy cows that produced more milk than regular cows and beef cattle that was leaner and meatier and had less day than normal beef cattle. I think the supercattle were also larger than normal cattle too.

A number of years ago scientists were producing supermice, mice that were about the size of rats, but I don't get what the point of that was.
farmerman

Reply Fri 3 Jul, 2020 09:03 am
@JGoldman10,
"supercattle" arenet even allowed in cattlle auctions and sales lots. The genetics and maintenance chemical feed load has no back ground testing that insures "PRODUCT SAFETY". We can watch China because while they make big noises about our feedlots, theyve been dosing their own pork an beef for years.
We dont even allow Ivermectin in feedlot cattle closer than half a year bfore slaughter.

Leadfoot

Reply Fri 3 Jul, 2020 03:08 pm
@farmerman,
I just watched a documentary that had a super cow in it.
If it could stand on two legs it’d be a dead ringer for Arnold S. in his glory days.
They both probably used the same drugs although the rancher claimed it was all breeding.
chai2

Reply Fri 3 Jul, 2020 03:27 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

"supercattle" arenet even allowed in cattlle auctions and sales lots. The genetics and maintenance chemical feed load has no back ground testing that insures "PRODUCT SAFETY". We can watch China because while they make big noises about our feedlots, theyve been dosing their own pork an beef for years.
We dont even allow Ivermectin in feedlot cattle closer than half a year bfore slaughter.

A while back I listened on NPR about scientists that did an experiment to breed super hens, in order to get the most eggs. Free range of course.

They bred out all the low producing hens, and bred the strongest and largest producing ones.

They all killed each other.

Turns out hens need that pecking order for good reason.
farmerman

Reply Sat 4 Jul, 2020 03:51 am
@chai2,
Imagine chickens reverting back to the velociraptor in their genes.

I have a small flock of hens that gang up on me whenever I go into their little compound. They attack my feed can.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 4 Jul, 2020 03:57 am
@Leadfoot,
a lot of breeding but also use of "mothers little helper" You can be sure that today most all specimen cattle are bred up by artificial insemination using CRSPR. Some of the cattle are often quite scary.
farmerman

Reply Sat 4 Jul, 2020 04:08 am
@farmerman,
If this guy has a problem with being butchered for hamburger, Youre gonna need a rifle platoon to gun it down. ALTHOUGH, this one appears friendly    https://i.pinimg.com/originals/14/8b/8c/148b8c74f73000eac7264dc887af13bc.png
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Sat 4 Jul, 2020 05:38 am
Skunks love slugs. You need a skunk.
0 Replies

Tryagain

Reply Sat 4 Jul, 2020 04:32 pm
@mark noble,
Sir, if I may refer you to what has been described as 'the greatest constitutional document of all times - the foundation of the freedom of the individual against the arbitrary authority of the despot'; to wit, Magna Carta - created 805 years ago in Ye Olde England.

I have had the pleasure of visiting the Magna Carta Memorial at Runnymede that was erected by the American Bar Association to pay respect to the freedoms it offered. However your diatribe perfectly reveals the vacuity of oenophiles.

Have an excruciatingly nefarious day.

To ensure a slug free environment it will be necessary to first remove all bodies from the basement and hang a nosegay or tussie-mussie.

Failing that, you could always employ a Frenchman as they love eating snails and can't stand fast food.
Ragman

Reply Sat 4 Jul, 2020 05:02 pm
@Tryagain,
What does any of that have to do with slugs or their removal?
0 Replies