"That's not really taking the pandemic seriously, though."
Sorry, I do take it seriously; I have dug down into the real data an not just the 30 seconds they spend telling about the number of new cases every day. If you are 80 years old, hunker down. If you are 15-30, have fun at the beach
That is not what the data is saying. You are quite wrong.
1. People under 80 are dying. A lot more people of all ages are being hospitalized (i.e. in intensive care on a ventilator). Even though you don't die.... you don't want to be there.
2. The biggest risk is that hospitals fill up. That is what happened in several places... If there are more seriously sick people than hospital beds, it is a bad thing no matter how old you are.
3. Even if you were correct that young people are invincible (which clearly they are not) we still don't want millennial idiots spreading a deadly virus like wildfire. This is just idiotic.
4. I agree with you that the messaging from our government has been horrible.
5. I think that loosening.the restrictions some when the risks to hospitals goes down is reasonable. I think that anyone who completely ignores the need to socially distance in the face of a global pandemic is acting an an idiotic manner.