What's the deal with merch being advertised and sold on people's YouTube channels?

Reply Mon 22 Jun, 2020 05:19 pm
Hi. I'm just a little curious about this. I know a number of changes have been made to YouTube's video monetization policy over the years. I've read something about this and I've seen original content creators on YouTube address and complain about this.

I don't know too much about the changes made to YouTube's video monetization policy. I have a YouTube account but I never uploaded and monetized videos on my channel.

I know when people monetize their videos online they generate money for their videos through ad revenue.

Are original content creators advertising and selling merch on their channels because they aren't making enough money through video monetization? They aren't making as much money as they once were, or are new to uploading and monetizing videos on YouTube and are aware of what Youtube's video monetization policy currently stipulates, and so they are advertising and selling merch on their channels to make up for this?

Or are they just looking to make extra money on their channels and build up a fanbase by doing so?

Please help. Thank you.

JGoldman10

Reply Mon 22 Jun, 2020 10:52 pm
Does anyone here know the answer to this?
Sturgis

Reply Mon 22 Jun, 2020 11:07 pm
@JGoldman10,
I have never been to Guam. Additionally, I have never done merchandise postings on YouTube. Come to think of it, I've never posted anything on YouTube other than an occasional comment when I've liked a video.

There are perhaps many reasons why it is done. Contact a few of the persons who do this and ask them.

Never been to Alaska, either. Although I did make a random phone call to Ketchikan once on a Saturday afternoon. I asked for a randomly named person and to my surprise, there was a person there with such a name. I had to wait until they located him and he came to the phone. This was in the 1980s when I would drink too much and do strange things.

I have however been to Arkansas during the summer. One timet I was there on July 4th (Independence Day). Just past midnight (at which point it was July 5), the temperature was a roasty 100° along with high quality humidity. Why is this important? Because it is.

Now, aren't you glad I gave you this exciting tale?

Admit it. It took your mind off of other things which are stressing you.

JGoldman10

Reply Tue 23 Jun, 2020 05:11 pm
@Sturgis,
What I asked, sir, was business-related and doesn't answer my question.
Sturgis

Reply Tue 23 Jun, 2020 05:34 pm
@JGoldman10,
In my defense, I advised you to try contacting the individuals directly. They are the ones who know why they do what they do.

Remember to drink plenty of water on the hot summer days ahead.

0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Wed 24 Jun, 2020 01:43 am
I was serious when I posted the topic question and I was hoping to get at least one serious answer to it.

Maybe I'll get better answers to the topic question on Yahoo! Answers.
cherrie

Reply Wed 24 Jun, 2020 02:38 am
@Sturgis,
I have a granddaughter named Alaska. She was born just as we all went into lockdown so I've been able to see her twice very briefly.
JGoldman10

Reply Wed 24 Jun, 2020 03:38 am
@cherrie,
Hello Cherrie how are you? Do you know anything about YouTube?
izzythepush

Reply Wed 24 Jun, 2020 03:45 am
@JGoldman10,
Ask a stupid question and you’ll get a stupid answer.

Why would anybody like to make more money?

How could that possibly be?

It’s a bloody mystery.
JGoldman10

Reply Wed 24 Jun, 2020 04:19 am
@izzythepush,
Reread my initial post and read it carefully.

Are people selling merch on their channels because they aren't making enough through monetization? Selling merch to make up for lost money- money that they should be earning through monetization but aren't because of the changes made to YouTube?

I hope this is clear now. This isn't a stupid question.

izzythepush

Reply Wed 24 Jun, 2020 04:22 am
@JGoldman10,
It is a stupid question. People are trying to make more money, motivation for that is individual. Only they can tell you why they need to do it, it can be all manner of reasons for saving up for a loved one’s medical procedure to greed and everything in between.
0 Replies

cherrie

Reply Wed 24 Jun, 2020 05:02 am
@JGoldman10,
I don't know anything about YouTube but people sell stuff to make money. Full stop.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 24 Jun, 2020 12:08 pm
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:

Or are they just looking to make extra money on their channels and build up a fanbase by doing so?.

Good grief. Rolling Eyes Of course, it's to supplement their income stream. It's also a source to increase their visibility in their target (potential) audience. Rolling Eyes

What other bloody reason would there be?!
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 24 Jun, 2020 12:14 pm
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:

This isn't a stupid question.

It is. Ask the management/creators of this obvious question.

Quote:
Are people selling merch on their channels because they aren't making enough through monetization? Selling merch to make up for lost money- money that they should be earning through monetization but aren't because of the changes made to YouTube?

LITERALLY NO ONE HERE HAS A POPULAR YOUTUBE CHANNEL.

If you do ask the producers to these channels, they're not going to answer these obviously intrusive questions. It's none of your business what parts of their income stream come from where and by how much and how it evolved or not.

Once again, you're putting the cart before the horse. You have to have an active channel before you can start worrying about selling any merchandise. You kind of need a ton of capital to start the production process unless you're completely going to make the merchandise yourself (which will likely kill your video creation side of the channel due to neglect).
Sturgis

Reply Wed 24 Jun, 2020 01:14 pm
@cherrie,
Congratulations on your new family member! May she have a long healthy and happy life.

...And may this pandemic end so you can share more time and huge with each other.
JGoldman10

Reply Wed 24 Jun, 2020 03:13 pm
@tsarstepan,
It's not stupid because I don't too much about YouTube's video monetization policy or the changes that were made to it.

I've never uploaded and monetized any videos on YouTube or on any video sharing site.

As Sturg suggested I'll ask people on YouTube why they sell merch on their channels.
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 24 Jun, 2020 03:20 pm
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:

It's not stupid because I don't too much about YouTube's video monetization policy or the changes that were made to it.

The irony (something you will NEVER learn) is that no one here has a professional YouTube channel. Can you do us a favor and let us know (for curiosity's sake) which YouTube channel answers this intrusive question?

But I bet its safe to say that video monetization and merchandising don't depend on each other. They're just two different methods of making income for a creator. It should be a moot question.

You don't have any money to produce and create content for YouTube. Understandable. If that's the case, you definitely do not have enough money to start creating merchandise for sale, let alone the infrastructure to produce, market, and sell said merchandise. Making this thread doubly pointless.
JGoldman10

Reply Wed 24 Jun, 2020 03:58 pm
@tsarstepan,
I know no one here has any professional YouTube channels.

I'm wondering if people were selling merch on their channels before YouTube made all the changes they made to their video monetization policy. If so I never noticed.
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 24 Jun, 2020 05:32 pm
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:

I'm wondering if people were selling merch on their channels before YouTube made all the changes they made to their video monetization policy. If so I never noticed.

Yes. There are several channels I still follow that sold their merchandise way before they even qualified for monetization (let alone were effected by the monetization system change).
cherrie

Reply Thu 25 Jun, 2020 04:26 am
@Sturgis,
Thank you.

Hopefully it will all end soon and I'll be able to see all my grandchildren again.
0 Replies