God, Gays, and Headlines

Reply Tue 5 Jul, 2005 08:24 am
God, Gays, and Headlines
By Gene Stone
Tue Jul 5,12:39 AM ET

My friend Jon is in his thirties. He is smart, successful, and has a boyfriend, a dog, a car, and a co-op. He likes Madonna (sheepishly), dancing, and Tolstoy, and he can't stand Christians.

My friend Sarah is a Christian who is also smart, successful, and politically active. Her politics are to the left of Jon's, and she's out there in the streets protesting injustice whenever she sees it.

I can't get Jon to meet Sarah. As far as he's concerned, if Sarah is a Christian, she can't be trusted. Jacob knows this sounds foolish, but when I ask Jon how he arrived at this mistrust, his response is always, "Haven't you watched TV? Don't you read the papers? Don't you know what those people are trying to do to us?"

He's right -- about the media, that is. The media has turned the word Christian into something abominable to gays; a faith that's predicated on hatred. Read the papers, watch TV, and you'd think that Christianity was a monolithic block of homophobes whose idea of a good time is signing petitions to keep gays in chains for life.

Okay -- that's true for some. But what about the other Christians? The ones who abide by Christian values, and are loving, tolerant, and peaceful? These are the people who raised many of us, people whom we love dearly, and who love -- and accept -- us, in turn.

You don't see that story in the media, however. The media has come to worship the idea that there is one and only one Christianity, and it is represented by the folks who picket gay funerals and hold up signs that say "God Hates Fags." These are the people who sell magazines, who make for good ratings.

This weekend the United Church of Christ's rule-making body voted overwhelmingly to approve a resolution that endorses same-sex marriage, making it the largest Christian denomination to do so. Yes, it's a smaller denomination, with under a million and a half members. But it has long been accepting of gays, and was the first major Christian denomination to ordain an openly gay minister. In fact, last year this Church wanted to run an advertising campaign on television featuring a gay couple, among others, being excluded from a church. The networks rejected the ad. They said it was too controversial.

Get that? It was too controversial to show that a church accepted gays.

And how much media coverage do you think this latest move by the UCC will get? Same as that ad. Not much.

Controversy sells. Conciliation doesn't. No wonder why Christians and gays are at each other's throats. Forget that many gays are Christians, and many Christians aren't bigots. As far as the media is concerned, the idea that Christianity and homosexuality can co-exist peacefully is to be avoided as though it were forbidden fruit.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 650 • Replies: 7
No top replies

panzade

Reply Tue 5 Jul, 2005 08:30 am
Thanks for pointing out what I often forget. Things ain't exactly like the media portrays them.
0 Replies

MinDSaY

Reply Tue 5 Jul, 2005 08:35 am
It's just a stereotype. Things are twisted and turned and we see it in different ways.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Tue 5 Jul, 2005 08:37 am
Panzade
Dys, Diane, and Shewolfnm and her husband and I were having a discussion about this very topic Sunday. We all could recall Christians that we liked, for themselves, not their religious beliefs. We all forget that from time to time in the heat of debate.

BBB
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Tue 5 Jul, 2005 08:58 am
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 5 Jul, 2005 09:43 am
I've just started the May, 2005, issue of Harper's. The feature theme is Soldier's of Christ examining both the Colorado Springs Megachurch theology and the National Religious Broadcasters points of view.

See:

http://www.harpers.org/SoldiersOfChrist.html

and

http://www.harpers.org/FeelingTheHate.html

I found these articles frightening--and I don't scare easy.
0 Replies

alakritz

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2005 04:44 pm
In the words of E.M. Forester "Do we find happiness so often that we can turn it off the box when it just happens to sit there?"
In other words, you can't choose love, love chooses you. And if you are wise, you grab it and hold onto, and enjoy it. If you are unwise, you spend all your time trying to shape others. Life is simple. People make it hard.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2005 04:48 pm
welcome alakritz...and a welcome message
0 Replies