A Former Bastard Cop Speaks

Reply Sat 13 Jun, 2020 08:02 am
https://medium.com/@OfcrACab/confessions-of-a-former-bastard-cop-bb14d17bc759

I was a police officer for nearly ten years and I was a bastard. We all were.
This essay has been kicking around in my head for years now and I’ve never felt confident enough to write it. It’s a time in my life I’m ashamed of. It’s a time that I hurt people and, through inaction, allowed others to be hurt. It’s a time that I acted as a violent agent of capitalism and white supremacy. Under the guise of public safety, I personally ruined people’s lives but in so doing, made the public no safer… so did the family members and close friends of mine who also bore the badge alongside me.
But enough is enough.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 986 • Replies: 10
No top replies

hightor

Reply Sat 13 Jun, 2020 08:12 am
@edgarblythe,
Powerful stuff. Thanks, edgarblythe.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Sat 13 Jun, 2020 09:49 am
@edgarblythe,
Anybody could have written that.

While the tale is interesting and does point out many failures within the law enforcement employees of the planet, the item itself reeks of overkill. It went from thoughtful and informative to accusatory of all law enforcement personnel.

It sank from the realms of validity when OfcrACab, said all cops are bad.

Any cop is free to quit. Any cop can make a choice as to what they do. Anyone in law enforcement is also subject to following the rules regulations and such that they agreed to when taking their oath. Again, as in any job, they can quit.. Resign.

(these are my opinions and you and others can agree with, or downplay, or dismiss entirely)
roger

Reply Sat 13 Jun, 2020 11:52 am
@Sturgis,

Sturgis wrote:

While the tale is interesting and does point out many failures within the law enforcement employees of the planet, the item itself reeks of overkill. It went from thoughtful and informative to accusatory of all law enforcement personnel.

Yes, and it's easy to do.
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Sat 13 Jun, 2020 12:53 pm
It's one guy's experience. I know for a fact that there are some pretty decent cops. Maybe this guy has never seen any or maybe he is exaggerating for effect. But I've seen that bastard cop mentality at work and while I don't agree with all of Officer Cab's conclusions I think it's good to pull the curtain aside.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 13 Jun, 2020 01:09 pm
The brutality can transcend racism when they attack white protesters as viciously as black. It's what I have read about in past treatises as the mentality of us against them. About 42 years ago I got arrested for hitchhiking too close to the freeway. During the booking process, about four of us were standing shoulder to shoulder, all of us white. The last one to join us was a skinny kid of perhaps twenty two. He was standing with his hands at his sides, same as all of us. The primary booking cop was not even in my line of vision. It seems he lunged from another room. His fist preceded him and it drove into the kid's face so hard that he literally flew through an open doorway. I never saw the kid after that. When it was my turn to get booked he looked at me as if hungry for more. He looked at my driver's license, which was from Rhode Island. I had not changed it as yet. He said, "You a Yankee?" I said, "No, sir." The other cop standing by him said, "He's okay." So I avoided getting a beating. As a hitchhiker passing through on his way out of state and having nothing to back me up, I continued my journey once they let me go.
Sturgis

Reply Sat 13 Jun, 2020 01:50 pm
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
...can transcend racism when they attack white protesters as viciously as blacks.

It's not always about racism. In a number of cases/incidents it's about the police officer and their inability, whether all the time or just a momentary lapse in judgment/sense. Or have you forgotten Freddy Gray in Baltimore? Where the Mayor and Police Chief at the time were also black. Where several cops charged with Mr.Gray's murder were not white?

You become part of the problem when you decide to make so much of this about race or about all cops. It's the same as the crap where you lump all republicans into the same ditch. And where other people place all democrats or independents or progressives or any group in a stock photo of that group.

There'll be problems and troublemakers in any group and it becomes intensely magnified when all the hate filled focus goes on that one act.
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 13 Jun, 2020 02:04 pm
@Sturgis,
The deliberate murder of so many blacks all across the country says more than I ever could.
oralloy

Reply Wed 17 Jun, 2020 11:44 am
@edgarblythe,
Justified self defense is hardly murder.
Ragman

Reply Fri 19 Jun, 2020 11:59 am
@oralloy,
Sickness
oralloy

Reply Fri 19 Jun, 2020 04:01 pm
@Ragman,
Progressive do not like reality. Reality exists all the same.
0 Replies