Proof of the Zombie Dog. The article no one believed.

Reply Mon 4 Jul, 2005 10:42 pm
Discuss the possible philosophical implications of this.

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,10117,15739502-13762,00.html

Boffins create zombie dogs
By Nick Buchan of NEWS.com.au
June 27, 2005

Eerie ... boffins have brought dead dogs back to life, in the name of science. Advertisement:
SCIENTISTS have created eerie zombie dogs, reanimating the canines after several hours of clinical death in attempts to develop suspended animation for humans.

US scientists have succeeded in reviving the dogs after three hours of clinical death, paving the way for trials on humans within years.
Pittsburgh's Safar Centre for Resuscitation Research has developed a technique in which subject's veins are drained of blood and filled with an ice-cold salt solution.

The animals are considered scientifically dead, as they stop breathing and have no heartbeat or brain activity.

But three hours later, their blood is replaced and the zombie dogs are brought back to life with an electric shock.

Plans to test the technique on humans should be realised within a year, according to the Safar Centre.

However rather than sending people to sleep for years, then bringing them back to life to benefit from medical advances, the boffins would be happy to keep people in this state for just a few hours,

But even this should be enough to save lives such as battlefield casualties and victims of stabbings or gunshot wounds, who have suffered huge blood loss.

During the procedure blood is replaced with saline solution at a few degrees above zero. The dogs' body temperature drops to only 7C, compared with the usual 37C, inducing a state of hypothermia before death.

Although the animals are clinically dead, their tissues and organs are perfectly preserved.

Damaged blood vessels and tissues can then be repaired via surgery. The dogs are brought back to life by returning the blood to their bodies,giving them 100 per cent oxygen and applying electric shocks to restart their hearts.

Tests show they are perfectly normal, with no brain damage.

"The results are stunning. I think in 10 years we will be able to prevent death in a certain segment of those using this technology," said one US battlefield doctor.

This is the same procedure that CNN covered on television an year ago. When I brought it up, I was accused of making the story up.

Well, here's a link finally.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 2,386 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Centroles

Reply Mon 4 Jul, 2005 10:47 pm
Here is solid proof that there even when all the electrolytes in your blood are removed and all nueral activity shuts down, essentially brain death. You can still be revived if your cells are preserved.

I therefore contend that there is no magical force behind life that leaves your body when you die. All life exists in the world of known physics, of cause and effect, action reaction. There is no evidence of any thing metaphysical about life, or the universe.

Thus determinism, the world of cause and effect is simplest and most logical explanation.

You can disagree all you want about the philosophical conclusions I drew from this. That is the purpose of this forum afterall.

But I feel an apology is long overdue from those of you, such as joefromchicago, that accused me of making up the story and then repeatedly brought it up again and again solely to ridicule me about it.

I know that I hadn't been on these forums in forever, and likely probably won't be back except on occasion either. But as soon as I ran into this story, I just had to post it.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Tue 5 Jul, 2005 08:23 am
Centroles wrote:
But I feel an apology is long overdue from those of you, such as joefromchicago, that accused me of making up the story and then repeatedly brought it up again and again solely to ridicule me about it.

An apology is neither required nor will one be forthcoming. Here is what you originally wrote:
    In case you missed, there was a dog which suffered from brain death due to some form of tumor I believe. The family had it cryogenically frozen after death. Due to recent advances in surgery, the tumor was easily removed. And the dog was unfrozen and its heart and respitory system stimulated. Unfortunately it didn't survive for long but never the less, the dog was indeed alive for a few seconds, respiring, and I believe even made a whimper.
Your original example, therefore, purportedly involved a dog that had died of natural causes being revivified. Your latest attempt to resurrect the Lazarus dog now has scientists artificially inducing "scientific death." Those are two very different scenarios. I have no doubt that dogs have been revived after being clinically dead -- after all, it's not uncommon for people to be revived after being clinically dead. But being cryogenically frozen and induced into a death-like state is a far cry from "brain death due to some form of tumor." You still (after more than 18 months) have not verified that story.

Centroles wrote:
I know that I hadn't been on these forums in forever, and likely probably won't be back except on occasion either.

Then there's really no point in discussing this with you.
0 Replies

SCoates

Reply Tue 5 Jul, 2005 04:48 pm
This information makes the concept of the soul no more or less believable. If God is inn charge of souls, then he could simply have the soul stick around, knowing full well that the body would be reactivated. Likewise, a God who has control over the insertion and removal of souls would not be prevented from repeating the process in a single host.

This article in no way relates to your conclusion. To attack the belief in the soul, you must attack the omnipotence of their governor, which you have not done.
0 Replies

prestochango

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2005 08:21 pm
SCoates wrote:
This information makes the concept of the soul no more or less believable. If God is inn charge of souls, then he could simply have the soul stick around, knowing full well that the body would be reactivated. Likewise, a God who has control over the insertion and removal of souls would not be prevented from repeating the process in a single host.

This article in no way relates to your conclusion. To attack the belief in the soul, you must attack the omnipotence of their governor, which you have not done.

Pwnage. well said
0 Replies