Attracted to anime character

Thu 11 Jun, 2020 01:47 am
I am attracted to a certain high school anime girl and am starting to feel somewhat obsessed. I honestly don't know what to do. Could anyone help me, and is this normal?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 708 • Replies: 4
Topic Closed
No top replies

Below viewing threshold (view)
tsarstepan

Thu 11 Jun, 2020 09:50 am
@BestGirlYr,
BestGirlYr wrote:

I am attracted to a certain high school anime girl and am starting to feel somewhat obsessed. I honestly don't know what to do. Could anyone help me, and is this normal?

It's not necessarily a bad thing unless it's a completely overwhelming, "I cannot concentrate/focus on anything else" time-killing obsession.

We all have a little leeway to be an archetypal fangirl/fanboy. It's the nature of being a passionate human being.

Now if this obsession devolves into how you treat other people and what you expect from a potential partner (temporary or longterm)? It's fine to see good values and traits in fictional characters. That helps you understand your own sense of social and cultural priorities.

But placing this character on a 1000 story pedestal (and subsequently everyone else has to meet these impossible standards)? That's going to end in heartbreak.

Ultimately, if you feel you're being dominated by these unbreakable obsessive thoughts, you will need to find someone (likely a professional) for counseling and therapy. There's likely greater unsolved and untouched issues in your life that need addressing other than crushing on a fictional character you will never meet in real life.
tsarstepan

Thu 11 Jun, 2020 09:51 am
@Positiveplus,
Positiveplus wrote:

How old are you? Usually this kind of things happen to teenagers...

That's unnecessarily (even if unintentional) dismissive and oversimplified and possibly patronizing.
0 Replies

engineer

Thu 11 Jun, 2020 01:36 pm
@tsarstepan,
Agree with all of this. Note that Anime fans obsess about some of these characters all the time. I have no idea what the Sailor Moon attraction is (for example), but that series seems to have a huge following.
0 Replies