New York City Protests, Violence and Fires

Sturgis

Reply Sat 30 May, 2020 09:47 pm
Good evening, morning, afternoon or whatever time for you...

It's late evening now, just after 11:30 p.m.. Helicopter sounds had returned earlier today. Knowing there were to be various protests going on in response to the murder by police of George Floyd in Minneapolis, Minnesota earlier in the week, I was not too surprised or for that matter, particularly worried. These things disrupt traffic and that was probably why the whirlybirds were out in force.

I was at least partly wrong.

This evening as they continued and some level of shouting could be heard from the streets (my apartment is in the rear of the building, not a lot of street sound), I finally got curious and turned the television on.

Protests earlier in the day had been mostly peaceful, no physical confrontation. This evening things turned ugly. Very ugly. And rather dangerous.

Seventh Avenue and 14th Street is a short walk from here. It's the location of one of the subway stations I've often used. Union Square is a few blocks east of there, just past Fifth Avenue, also facing 14th Street. The The protests have people who apparently enjoy arson. Small fires have been set along the streets, even a few blocks north and south of 14th Street.

A police van had it's windows smashed in and was summarily subjected to a fire inside.

A man tried to extinguish one fire and was physically attacked by another man. A white man. So, I get the uneasy feeling that some trouble making white folk are following their beloved leader DJT, and causing problems, with intent clearly to make it seem as if people of color are committing these acts. There are plenty of surveillance cameras in the area, both from the city and stores. Also from residential properties along these streets.

In one place, an antagonistic white guy was tackled to the ground. There were several police department folk of various sizes and ranks doing the tackle. A few thought kicking and punching were in order. When will they ever learn, that just is not anywhere close to right? The lone officer that walked away from the other tacklers, was a gentleman of color. He cannot be considered fully innocent as he did join 6 or 7 others in the initial takedown of one not very large man.

All of these events over the past days bring me back in time to the vicious murder by police and even the EMS personnel of Eric Garner in 2014. A murder for which nobody ever truly paid or was held responsible for. Mr.Garner was also subjected to a knee and made clear that he could not breath. One officer was eventually released from his job. He's fighting to get it back. At least the mayor of Minneapolis called for all the s.o.b.s to be sacked immediately and the arrest of at least one has taken place. New York City under the useless "leadership" of Bill DeBlasio never even attempted that.

So, here I am, several minutes later, as midnight nears and a near numbness is enveloping me and what is left of my soul. Something distant in the far recesses of my brain, tells me my eyes should be moist by now. Tears should be on the way....

I should be edgy or a bit anxious...

....but, I can no longer remember how to feel.

Hope all is well and safe wherever you are.

Goodnight.

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 30 May, 2020 09:50 pm
I wrote this yesterday.

Revolution - Or ?
As I write this, protestors are wrestling to pull away the barricades at the White House. CNN is being seriously damaged. A police station has been destroyed. Protests are spreading across this nation. Many on Twitter call it "revolution." But I've seen it too many times. The establishment has the power and will eventually grind all the protests to a halt. In the end we will have few changes, if any, to point to. Just one more historical point on a map of "revolutions." This affair will be played down by future leaders and educators and only be a scar on our consciousness after the way of the Watts riots. It is too strongly entrenched in our culture to allow for equality among ethnicities and poor folks. The establishment plays on this and it has enforcers to see to it that it stays like that. Face it. Brave New World and 1984 are not, nor were they ever, fiction. The original Black Panthers and Martin Luther King were rooted out by the establishment because they sought to elevate common people. To make them no longer subservient. Subservient will forever describe us unless we wake up and take destiny into our own hands.
glitterbag

Reply Sat 30 May, 2020 11:08 pm
@edgarblythe,
Protests broke out in Baltimore tonight. The local CBS affiliate broke in around 10 PM ..... it seems things were much smaller than in other cities. I'm hoping the white supremist agitators are run out of the city.....local reporters were surrounded by 'protestors' when it started to get dark and basically were chased away. One reporter seemed truly rattled by the threats (yeah, there were threats) The late night 'protesters' don't live in Baltimore or anywhere else in the State. There have been sick assholes hoping to start a race war since before Charlie Manson greased this earth. Can't it just stop? If it can't, why the hell not?

0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sun 31 May, 2020 06:41 am
Sturgis wrote:
All of these events over the past days bring me back in time to the vicious murder by police and even the EMS personnel of Eric Garner in 2014. A murder for which nobody ever truly paid or was held responsible for. Mr.Garner was also subjected to a knee and made clear that he could not breath.

Hardly murder. He resisted a lawful arrest and died of injuries sustained in his struggle against the arresting officers.

It is possible that the officers violated their procedural rules while trying to subdue him. However, the intent was clearly to subdue him and not to kill him.

Perhaps if there had been manslaughter charges early on instead of frittering away the statute of limitations pursuing more serious charges that do not fit the facts, there would have been criminal convictions.

Or perhaps not. It's hard to see a jury convicting a police officer for wrestling with a guy who was resisting a lawful arrest.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 31 May, 2020 07:09 am
So far, as expected, I have not seen where a single official has committed to shaking up any police departments, whether Democrat or Republican.
oralloy

Reply Sun 31 May, 2020 07:15 am
@edgarblythe,
What sort of shake up do you feel is warranted?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 31 May, 2020 07:24 am
I was visiting a site that is promoting several conspiracy theories. They floated the idea that the Floyd murder was staged. Disgusting.
glitterbag

Reply Sun 31 May, 2020 10:44 am
@edgarblythe,
Sigh............
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 31 May, 2020 01:54 pm
I just watched a video of a gang of cops terrorizing a residential neighborhood, where there are no gatherings.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 31 May, 2020 08:36 pm

Bree Newsome Bass
@BreeNewsome
·
10m
If the bipartisan white power establishment truly objected to police murder, they wouldn’t keep sending in higher and higher levels of armed, militarized forces to help local police forces attack protesters.
oralloy

Reply Sun 31 May, 2020 08:39 pm
@edgarblythe,
Gunning down rampaging violent criminals is hardly murder.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 1 Jun, 2020 07:01 am
I believe they have started killing protestors now. I haven't seen any news this morning, but Twitter is full of hints and stories of the missing ones. DC blacked out and protestors no longer heard from. I have to be gone from home for half of the day. Perhaps we will have some answers by the time I get home.
oralloy

Reply Mon 1 Jun, 2020 07:06 am
@edgarblythe,
No one is going to intentionally harm a peaceful protester (although whenever there is violence, collateral damage is a risk).

Rampaging violent criminals are a different story.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Mon 1 Jun, 2020 08:13 am
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

I believe they have started killing protestors now. I haven't seen any news this morning, but Twitter is full of hints and stories of the missing ones. DC blacked out and protestors no longer heard from. I have to be gone from home for half of the day. Perhaps we will have some answers by the time I get home.

Edgar is being as ridiculous as Oralloy. This situation is going to need reasonable people to push back on the extremes of both sides.

The police are not evil aggressors. The protesters are not ruthless criminals. Edgar and Oralloy yelling at each other is not what we need to make our country better.
izzythepush

Reply Mon 1 Jun, 2020 08:37 am
@maxdancona,
Edgar is being ridiculous for saying the police are killing unarmed men?

That’s how this whole thing started with police killing an unarmed man, namely George Floyd.

Don’t you get the news where you are? Or like Oralloy do you rely on supposition, ignorance, delusion and just plain bigotry for your sources of information?

oralloy

Reply Mon 1 Jun, 2020 08:39 am
@izzythepush,
You have a big mouth, but you are all talk, and it's empty talk at that. You cannot provide any examples of anything untrue in my posts.

And who are you to complain after the way you rely on fake news like the BBC?
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Mon 1 Jun, 2020 08:41 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
Edgar is being as ridiculous as Oralloy.

Neither he nor I are being ridiculous.

maxdancona wrote:
This situation is going to need reasonable people to push back on the extremes of both sides.
The police are not evil aggressors. The protesters are not ruthless criminals.

I've not called any peaceful protester a criminal.

The ones who are stealing and burning are very much criminals.

maxdancona wrote:
Edgar and Oralloy yelling at each other is not what we need to make our country better.

Neither one of us has been yelling at the other. I did ask him a question that he didn't answer.

But that's OK. If he doesn't want to expound on his positions, then they will go un-expounded on. That's his choice.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 1 Jun, 2020 10:30 am
We are investigating #DCblackout. We suspect it is misinformation spread by a botnet using BLM IDs and KPop / Anime profiles in order to incite panic and confusion. We are now using #DCsafe to study these accounts.
Anonymous
@YourAnonCentral
·
3h
Okay, so here is what we know: #DCblackout edition.

-the overall goal of the campaign appears to be to instill panic & fear to deter future protests.
-no evidence that protestors have been killed.
-no evidence of a sustained internet cut off.
-DC people report things are normal.
Anonymous
@YourAnonCentral
·
3h
Adding : #DCblackout edition.

-1/2 of protestors were arrested and the other half may be asleep. (don't panic, just wait.)
-We cannot tell the origin of the botnet that pushed this but they did pull a fast one on us for a minute and we apologise if we failed to spot them sooner.
Anonymous
@YourAnonCentral
We demand all prisoners are released and their safety guaranteed.

As the day goes on, we'll find out more about the events in D.C. from the protestors themselves and we ask everyone to avoid spreading fear as that is the goal of the Trump regime and the bots in #DCblackout.
8:26 AM · Jun 1, 2020·Twitter Web App
Retweets
@YourAnonCentral
·
2h
Replying to
@YourAnonCentral
Update: The bots have adjusted their misinformation campaign on #DCblackout to pretend that there is a bot campaign copy and pasting an "everything is fine" script to push the narrative that everything is not fine and create mass confusion and spread fear.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 1 Jun, 2020 10:31 am
@izzythepush,
I don't respect those two enough to read them.
izzythepush

Reply Mon 1 Jun, 2020 10:34 am
@edgarblythe,
Max just scrapes home as far asI’m concerned, but I have no respect for him.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » New York City Protests, Violence and Fires
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 03:36:49