New York City Protests, Violence and Fires

glitterbag

Reply Mon 1 Jun, 2020 02:10 pm
@edgarblythe,
I don't think there was a blackout.......I get the DC and Baltimore channels plus the cable stuff and was awake until around 3:30 AM....there was no evidence of a blackout......
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 1 Jun, 2020 03:23 pm
@glitterbag,
My post by anonymous was about that. Showing a ruse that was perpetrated to make us think so.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 1 Jun, 2020 03:27 pm
Red/Blue makes a single fist to slam the people any time the important issues come to the fore. No official, regardless of party, has offered a single constructive reform for the way they police this country. Trump says the shooting starts. Biden says, "Of course. Just shoot them other than in the heart."
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 1 Jun, 2020 03:29 pm
@Sturgis,
Thinking of you on the weekend, and recalling trying to call you from my old hangout on 15th, near Union Square. Hope the feelings come back in a while.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Mon 1 Jun, 2020 07:11 pm
I've seen numerous reports of looting and buildings set on fire, including in my own town, and in one case just a few miles from my home. I don't see how stealing a DVD player helps the memory of George Floyd. Businesses are being destroyed that are owned by people not known to have committed any wrong. In some cases, the shop owners may have spent a lifetime building up their businesses. The people committing such acts are simply criminals and have nothing in common with peaceful protesters.
Setanta

Reply Mon 1 Jun, 2020 08:07 pm
@Brandon9000,
There are stories on both sides of the issue of who is fueling the rioting, and especially the looting:

Cleveland officials provide no proof that rioters were out-of-towners, no info on 65 arrests downtown

Harrisburg’s protests were fed by out-of-town people with violent ‘agendas,’ mayor says

Mayor Bill de Blasio is right about the riots — and the NYPD’s response

Officials blame 'out-of-state' agitators but those at the heart of protests are homegrown

There's a lot more of that that one can find on-line.
Brandon9000

Reply Mon 1 Jun, 2020 09:27 pm
@Setanta,
Good documentation. Some of them may be from out of town. I don't really know and that isn't an issue I'm very concerned about, at least right now. As you undoubtedly understand, my assertion is that regardless of the merits of protests, people who loot, or destroy civilian property, or commit violence against others are just criminals.
Setanta

Reply Mon 1 Jun, 2020 11:19 pm
@Brandon9000,
It is significant if these are agents provacateurs whose purpose is to cause or exacerbate violence and destruction. As far as property goes, I personally don't give a rat's ass--how people are treated is an entirely different matter.
oralloy

Reply Tue 2 Jun, 2020 01:12 am
@Setanta,
That's easy to say when it's not your property that is being destroyed.

If these violent thugs don't want to be treated like violent thugs, then they should stop being violent thugs.
farmerman

Reply Tue 2 Jun, 2020 06:27 pm
@oralloy,
It all starts with a humane police force , not a gestapo
oralloy

Reply Tue 2 Jun, 2020 06:43 pm
@farmerman,
I think that's what we have now.

Having a humane police force doesn't help when the other side insists on having a right to murder police officers and white people.

No one is going to consent to letting black people murder them no matter how violent BLM goons get with their rioting.
farmerman

Reply Tue 2 Jun, 2020 08:35 pm
@oralloy,
Dont go turning history upside down. The cops actually drew first blood .
oralloy

Reply Tue 2 Jun, 2020 08:36 pm
@farmerman,
What are you referring to?
glitterbag

Reply Tue 2 Jun, 2020 11:24 pm
@oralloy,
If I had to guess I think I would pick the 'Snuff Film" recorded in Minneapolis while 3 policeman watched another cop compress the carotid artery of a handcuffed man, by pressing his knee against a subdued man's neck, while casually posing with his hand in pocket for 6 minutes and then another 3 minutes after he went limp. Broad daylight in front of people. Do you understand? What happens when it's dark and there are no witnesses........some of us are worried.

oralloy

Reply Wed 3 Jun, 2020 12:52 am
@glitterbag,
I'd rather not guess. He could mean all sorts of things from all sorts of eras.

I don't feel like taking the time to compose a reply only to find that he meant something entirely different. I'll reply to his post when I find out definitely what he is referring to.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 3 Jun, 2020 10:29 am
@farmerman,
Big movement up here on police force defunding. Putting the funds removed from police to social services, housing, UBI and the like. Glad it's finally getting more attention.
oralloy

Reply Wed 3 Jun, 2020 10:32 am
@ehBeth,
Defunding the police sounds like something that the local criminals would approve of.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Wed 3 Jun, 2020 01:59 pm
@ehBeth,
Talk in NYC is leaning towards taking some of the monies from the police department and putting it elsewhere. Housing, food programs education... The NYPD has some 38,000 members. A wee bit larger than elsewhere. Also larger on a cop to residnt ratio than elsewhere.

0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Wed 3 Jun, 2020 02:16 pm
The helicopters finally quieted down. After 3 days and nights it's eerie.

Monday night looting was over the top. Not the basic protesters, this is usually more from riff raff trouble making twerps. These were in some cases more thought filled. Hitting high end shops in Soho and Chelsea and elsewhere. Even taking the time to rip off the wood which many stores had put up a while ago, due to the covid -19 shutdowm.

The bigger picture disgrace took place in The Bronx. Hitting, looting, destroying the regular day to day mom and pop shops. A Yemeni deli/bodega, a furniture store owned by a Dominican family. These were not high priced stores or part of any chain of stores. And in areas which are more diverse than other locations of NYC.

Last night, the cops gathered in their riot gear as night fell and curfew night 2 began (8 p.m.to 5 a..m.). Somewhat idiotic in how it was done.

Hundreds of cops (in riot gear, helmets and plastic tie wrist binders) kept protesters from Brooklyn from coming off the Manhattan Bridge....unless an essential worker or resident of Manhattan, they were barred from entry). There he cops stood the protesters chanted. Meanwhile...

Meanwhile, down a few blocks away, a store on Fulton Street (less than even a half mile from the bridge) was broken into. The cops were elsewhere. But, less looting overall.

It's too insane for words. All of it. From all sides. All political groupings. All.
Region Philbis

Reply Wed 3 Jun, 2020 02:48 pm
@Sturgis,
Quote:
curfew night 2 began (8 p.m.to 5 a..m.)
is there another curfew tonight?

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 01:30:35