New York City Protests, Violence and Fires

Sturgis

Reply Wed 3 Jun, 2020 02:51 pm
@Region Philbis,
Through Sunday night into Monday morning....

...which currently is also when NYC enters phase one of the reentry into regular living ....although masks, temperature checks and social distancing will be the "exciting new features" of " normal ".
Region Philbis

Reply Wed 3 Jun, 2020 02:54 pm
@Sturgis,

thanx...

Quote:
phase one of the reentry into regular living
we may never get back to regular living... not back to the way it was pre-Covid...
Sturgis

Reply Wed 3 Jun, 2020 03:01 pm
@Region Philbis,
I know. Kind of weird, scary and oddly interesting all mixed together.

Although restaurants are going to suffer with the distancing matter.

And swim clubs! Just try swimming with a mask on.
(and not a goalies mask like the guy in Friday the 13th movies)
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Wed 3 Jun, 2020 03:04 pm

putting this here for reference...

https://www.nytimes.com/article/nyc-curfew.html

Quote:
For the next week, most New York City residents will be required to be at home, or at least out of public spaces, by 8 p.m. This nightly, citywide curfew will be in place through the morning of June 8.

Under the emergency executive order issued by Mayor Bill de Blasio on Tuesday, anyone not performing or traveling to or from essential work will be required to be inside every night from 8 p.m. until 5 a.m. This curfew is three hours earlier than the 11 p.m. deadline set on June 1 — and about 20 minutes before sunset.

Additionally, car travel in Manhattan will be banned below 96th Street during curfew hours, except for local residents, essential workers, buses and truck deliveries.

So does this mean you’re trapped inside, all night? Well, not exactly.

Q: Did you say the curfew is before sunset?

A: Yes! The sun was due to set at 8:22 p.m. on June 2, the first night of the extended-hours curfew — the second night of curfew over all — and is due to set progressively one minute later each night.(The summer solstice, the longest day of the year, is June 20.)

Q: To whom, exactly, does the curfew apply?

A: In a nutshell: Unless you absolutely need to be outside for work or for medical reasons, the curfew applies to you.

The people exempt from the curfew are the ones you would expect: police and peace officers, firefighters, emergency medical workers and technicians, anyone seeking medical treatment or supplies, and anyone performing or traveling to or from essential work, like food delivery, transit and health care. Those who are homeless are also exempt.

Q: I have a dog. Should I, um, set up a pad in my home?

A: Thankfully, no. According to city guidelines, you can take your pets outside to relieve themselves, “but only in the immediate vicinity of your residence.”

Q: Can I get food delivered?

A: Yes. Food delivery is considered essential work. (You might want to tip well if you’re able to, as we are still facing the dangers of the coronavirus pandemic.)

Q: My grocery store is still open 24 hours a day. Can I make a quick snack run?

A: Technically, no. The order bars anyone who is “not performing essential work from being in public” during curfew hours.

Q: Can I take a walk around my block?

A: Technically, no. The guidelines from the city are clear: Unless you are performing or traveling to essential work, you should not be in public.

Are the odds low you’ll catch attention from the police if you’re out for a stroll? Yes. But would that stroll still be a violation? Also yes.

Q: Is CitiBike operating? What about Revel?

A: No and no. Both the bike and moped services will be suspended during curfew hours. This could be a hiccup for essential workers who rely on these methods of transport.

Q: What about my backyard or patio?

A: That should be fine. The curfew guidelines focus on public spaces, and the outdoor areas attached to your home are presumably not public spaces.

Q: I’m an essential worker. Will public transit be running? Can I make a snack run during work?

A: Yes and yes. Transportation services, including bus, rail, subway, are still considered essential, so you should be able to take any of them during curfew hours. The city is not allowing for-hire vehicles, like Ubers and Lyfts, to operate from 8 p.m. to 12:30 a.m., though yellow and green taxis can operate for essential workers.

(Remember that the subway is still not running between 1 a.m. and 5 a.m. For more information about reduced subway service and how to get around it, click here.)

The city has also carved out exemptions for essential workers who want to grab food during their shift, so feel free to pop into whichever bodega you’d like.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Wed 3 Jun, 2020 10:07 pm
In tonight's episodes of continued insanity, we got to witness police brutality. The word ironic would be used here, if not for the fact that this is much more insane.

Protesters gathered in various locations throughout the city (NYC) and took part in peaceful protests. No items were thrown, no physical confrontation, no arson, no destruction.

Let's look at incident number one...the east side near Gracie Mansion, residence of the mayor and his family.
Protesters protest and that's what these folks were doing. The numbers grew from the hundreds to at least an estimated thousand. As curfew time approached the police moved forward.
Soon they had protesters with wrist binders on, and herded them into a few vehicles for the arrest processing. News reports indicated that many would be taken downtown for further processing and possibly overnight stay at The Tombs (it's a jail).

Not sure if the cops used their trusty whacking sticks here.

Episode two.
Somewhere in Brooklyn. The hour of curfew arrived and the protesters were still doing their thing. The next thing they knew, fully equipped riot police came at them. Whacking clubs drawn! They pushed the protesters.

Our Public Advocate, Jumaane Williams was with these PEACEFUL protesters. He was quite outraged and rightfully so. He made clear he is ashamed of the actions of the police and of the mayor himself. Any person with a shred of decency and humanity would be ashamed and indeed disgusted by what the police did and the mayor who did nothing to prevent it. Not a peep from him!

Months back when Mayor DeBlasio was attempting a Presidential run in the Democratic ticket, I mentioned how similar to Trump he was. It was shown quite clearly this evening.

Tomorrow, Thursday should prove interesting as there is to be a memorial service/gathering for the murdered man, George Floyd.

But, alas, the hour of 8 p.m. arrived. Curfew time!
oralloy

Reply Wed 3 Jun, 2020 10:22 pm
@Sturgis,
Sturgis wrote:
The next thing they knew, fully equipped riot police came at them. Whacking clubs drawn!

That's pretty brave of the officers. Police officers have been lynched for defending themselves that way (note Rodney King).
glitterbag

Reply Wed 3 Jun, 2020 10:33 pm
@oralloy,
You have to be putting everyone on.........it's not funny.
oralloy

Reply Wed 3 Jun, 2020 10:42 pm
@glitterbag,
No, I do think it's pretty brave of those officers. A lot of police jump right to gunfire if they have to use force so they won't get lynched for using their nightsticks.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Sun 7 Jun, 2020 06:47 pm
@Sturgis,

per the NYT...
Quote:
Mayor Bill de Blasio lifted the citywide curfew he had ordered last week after a spree of looting and other violence.
And he pledged for the first time to cut the city’s police funding and redirect some of the money to social services.

On Sunday, the eve of New York City’s first phase of re-opening after more than two months of lockdown due to the
coronavirus, the marches were largely jubilant, with the police taking a more passive role with protesters.

As of 7 p.m. on Sunday, there were no reports of major confrontations or mass arrests.
oralloy

Reply Sun 7 Jun, 2020 06:50 pm
@Region Philbis,
Quote:
And he pledged for the first time to cut the city's police funding and redirect some of the money to social services.

I imagine there will be money to be made smuggling guns into the city once everyone realizes that they'll need to start protecting themselves.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Sun 7 Jun, 2020 11:39 pm
@Region Philbis,
I found the lifting of the curfew to be on the edges of absurdity, happening so late in the game.

It served two purposes though.

First, it appeased the masses who were irritated with it and second, it keeps the police from having to clean their whacking clubs after their shift.

Oh, and third...it will cut down on the level of confusion which would have been happening at about 5:a.m. when phase 1 of the reopening/return begins.

As to the financial redirect, it's more than about time. But, I suspect it came down to he doesn't have much of an option...unless he wants more protesters swarming the streets.

0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Mon 8 Jun, 2020 04:50 am
https://www.ajc.com/news/crime--law/underground-atlanta-says-was-beaten-suspected-looters/2hLvEPoXN953OOI39SbE3J/
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Mon 8 Jun, 2020 04:52 am
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/man-beaten-in-viral-video-while-defending-neighborhood-during-riots-in-stable-condition-police-say
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Mon 8 Jun, 2020 04:55 am
https://world.wng.org/2020/05/dallas_riots_leave_volunteers_businesses_to_clean_up_the_mess
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Mon 8 Jun, 2020 04:57 am
Retired police officer murdered trying to protect store:

https://time.com/5849888/st-louis-captain-david-dorn-suspect-arrested/
oralloy

Reply Mon 8 Jun, 2020 05:00 am
@Brandon9000,
That's why people need semi-auto rifles with large magazines when they are defending their business from rioters.

I imagine that gun sales are going to be brisk in Minnesota now that leftist city council members have voted to abolish the Minneapolis police force.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Wed 10 Jun, 2020 08:34 pm
Peaceful:

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/doj-announces-federal-charges-against-rioters
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Thu 11 Jun, 2020 07:54 am
I heard on the news last night that some kind of Bronx politician is throwing a fit because looters destroyed minority-owned businesses.

Apparently he is just fine with white-owned businesses being destroyed.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2021 04:19 pm
What will happen if Chauvin is found not guilty?
oralloy

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2021 06:26 pm
@Wilso,
Lots of S's will probably happen in that case.

But I think he'll be found guilty.
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/19/2024 at 08:55:53