Mouse question - PC question

Reply Sat 23 May, 2020 09:58 pm
Is there an easy way to install a free driver for my mouse?

tsarstepan

Reply Sat 23 May, 2020 10:55 pm
@edgarblythe,
There probably is ... but you're missing a ton of information in your question.

At least: Brand of mouse; operating system.

Maybe here.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4034170/which-devices-are-supported-by-microsoft-mouse-and-keyboard-center
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 23 May, 2020 11:11 pm
@tsarstepan,
I went to a site that identified my mouse and offered a driver for money. Or, it said, I could have the driver for free but have to install it on my own. It mentioned the eight steps to follow. I felt inept and didn't try.
izzythepush

Reply Sun 24 May, 2020 05:44 am
@edgarblythe,
Whenever I have a problem like that I get the Kid to do it for me.

Do you know any young people who could help?
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 24 May, 2020 06:59 am
@izzythepush,
That's the root of my problem. No young people to call on.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Sun 24 May, 2020 08:00 am
@edgarblythe,
Is it a new mouse? It should have come with appropriate drivers. I'm surprised you need any at all. Does the mouse have special functionality? What operating system?
0 Replies

justaguy2

Reply Sun 24 May, 2020 08:05 am
@edgarblythe,
Driver's for a standard mouse come with the operating system, unless you happen to still be using an ancient operating system like MS-DOS.

Are you talking about a gaming mouse that has more than three buttons? If so, then as said you need to state the make and model of the mouse in question, along with the operating system concerned.
tsarstepan

Reply Sun 24 May, 2020 08:27 am
@justaguy2,
justaguy2 wrote:

Driver's for a standard mouse come with the operating system, unless you happen to still be using an ancient operating system like MS-DOS.

Are you talking about a gaming mouse that has more than three buttons? If so, then as said you need to state the make and model of the mouse in question, along with the operating system concerned.

That's my understanding. Edgar is leaving out a ton of info. Asked for further context but to no avail.

Is this a new mouse? Is he using an old mouse but his computer claims that the driver is now missing?

edgarblythe wrote:

I went to a site that identified my mouse and offered a driver for money. Or, it said, I could have the driver for free but have to install it on my own. It mentioned the eight steps to follow. I felt inept and didn't try.

Edgar. Just don't go to random third party sites (that don't have anything to do with the mouse brand or your computer's brand or the OS of your computer) to download a random driver. That's how you get a bloody virus or malware.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 24 May, 2020 08:28 am
The mouse I have used for a long time just kept freezing and disappearing. I don't recall if it is the original. I have Windows 10, an HP desktop. I gave it a new mouse that had never been used, but it was saved from a different computer. It acts exactly the same as the other one.
tsarstepan

Reply Sun 24 May, 2020 08:33 am
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

The mouse I have used for a long time just kept freezing and disappearing. I don't recall if it is the original. I have Windows 10, an HP desktop. I gave it a new mouse that had never been used, but it was saved from a different computer. It acts exactly the same as the other one.

Did you try the official Microsoft link? They would be the best (and safest) place to get an updated driver. Then again, a driver download may not be the issue. Could be a hardware issue (the USB plug which you plug the mouse into the computer; it could be a motherboard issue; etc...)

Try a different USB port to plug the mouse into.
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 24 May, 2020 08:42 am
@tsarstepan,
The first thing I did with this mouse is to change to a different USB port.
justaguy2

Reply Sun 24 May, 2020 08:56 am
@edgarblythe,
Does the same USB port work correctly with other devices connected to it? Is the mouse in question a normal three button mouse or a gaming mouse?

As you can't fix a hardware problem with software.

I was thinking along the same lines as tsarstepan, in that; it sounds more like a hardware issue. But if you're having the same problem with two different mice, plugged into the same USB port, then maybe it is a software issue. Can you try the mice on a different PC and verify that the hardware itself (the mice in question) are working correctly? If so, then we could rule out a hardware issue, and therefore it's a software issue.

Also, what's changed since you started having your current problems?

Again, if it's a standard mouse, all modern and major operating systems come with the required driver. Also, all standard three button optical mice work in the same way, that's why the OS includes a driver that should work for all standard optical mice. Therefore in that case, it should not matter who the manufacturer of it is.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 24 May, 2020 09:07 am
I moved to a different USB port when I installed the new one. It's not just an online problem, as it happens with the word processor the same way.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 24 May, 2020 09:08 am
I don't use gaming mouses.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 24 May, 2020 10:28 am
Problem apparently solved. I cleaned the computer of dust and the mouse is working better already.
izzythepush

Reply Sun 24 May, 2020 10:32 am
@edgarblythe,
Have you tried turning it off and on again?
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 24 May, 2020 10:35 am
@izzythepush,
Numerous times.
Right now it is much improved.
izzythepush

Reply Sun 24 May, 2020 10:36 am
@edgarblythe,
Sorry, that was meant to be a joke, it’s fallen quite flat.
Sturgis

Reply Sun 24 May, 2020 12:47 pm
@izzythepush,
Quote:
...fallen quite flat.

Similar to the way my hair would fall flat during humid sumner weather...
...when I still had enough hair to grace my scalp.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 24 May, 2020 02:31 pm
I used to live in a flat.
0 Replies