Mouse question - PC question

nacredambition

Reply Sun 24 May, 2020 08:30 pm
How the mouse bit the dust mite be a good title for the story.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Sun 24 May, 2020 11:11 pm
@izzythepush,
I laughed.
McGentrix

Reply Sun 24 May, 2020 11:22 pm
I the issue is that Edgar is calling the cursor the mouse. If cleaning the computer caused the cursor to reappear and work correctly I'd hate to have seen how dirty his kit is.

To answer the question, always, ALWAYS go to the manufacturer's website first to find drivers for you operating system. Looking elsewhere will just have you here again in a week looking for malware protection.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sun 24 May, 2020 11:36 pm
@McGentrix,
But you’re a fan of the IT crowd.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 25 May, 2020 12:03 am
I'm very ignorant. When I signed up for dial up on my first PC, the man on the phone said, "Click on the icon." I had to ask what an icon is.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 6 Jun, 2020 12:21 pm
My cursor only worked a little better, it turned out. This time I pressed the following keys, as suggested elsewhere: Fn + F3/ Fn + F5/ Fn + F9/ Fn + F11. At this point the cursor is staying visible. The same information page suggested a new drive might be in order if this one didn't help.
Ragman

Reply Sat 6 Jun, 2020 12:28 pm
@edgarblythe,
I’m confused about which device with which you are having problems? Mouse or cursor?

Is it possible that you accidentally locked up the keyboard and computer became non-responsive?
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 6 Jun, 2020 01:16 pm
@Ragman,
I thought at first mouse and curser were one and the same. It's the curser. I even have a new mouse.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 16 Jun, 2020 11:42 am
The mouse worked spottily from when I first started this thread until a few minutes ago. Right now it appears to be back to normal. I went from a windows site, where they had it that the drivers should be okay due to windows updates, to an independent site where they advised that dust or fuzz could be the factor. I doubted that, because my brand new mouse did not help a bit. But I blew into the hole, as that suggested. They also advised that the mouse pad could be the problem. They suggested putting a piece of paper over that pad. That seemed to be what did the trick. So it's likely it was a mouse problem after all.
Sturgis

Reply Tue 16 Jun, 2020 02:01 pm
@edgarblythe,
But was it the mouse or is there a problem with your pad?
If the pad is old, it may have been compromised from years of mouse rolling. This happened to me a long while back. Oddly enough, placing the mouse directly on the desk helped. It did not cure it, just made it more likely to work. I should note, the top of my desk is lightly textured.
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 16 Jun, 2020 02:05 pm
@Sturgis,
I thought I explained it clearly, but, yes it was an old pad. Since I put down a sheet of printer paper over the pad, the whole problem has vanished. I plan to get another pad soon.
Sturgis

Reply Tue 16 Jun, 2020 02:08 pm
@edgarblythe,
As long as you have it under control.

(Maybe someone will gift you with a Father's Day present of a new pad?)
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 16 Jun, 2020 02:20 pm
@Sturgis,
I doubt it but anything is possible.
0 Replies