Wy

Reply Sun 3 Jul, 2005 03:01 pm
I like animals. I like cats. I have some cats (2, 1 with kittens which are being adopted this weekend). I like dogs, especially small dogs. I have a small dog that's generally my constant companion. I do not like big dogs for my own pet, though they're fine when I meet other people's big dogs. But my daughter's friend likes big dogs. She adopted a big dog, against her parents' wishes (both girls are 16). It's a male pit bull, four months old. Clumsy, full of himself, awkward, stubborn.

Since her parents don't want the dog, she has "stashed" it at my house, temporarily, she says... that's a whole 'nother story.

Both girls have gone out of town this weekend. I know where my daughter is; she called me at work on Thursday to tell me where she was going. She went on the municipal bus and they don't run that route on Sunday or holidays, so she's coming home Tuesday. I said okay, you can go, but what about the dog? She told me she'd call another friend to walk/feed/play with the Darn Thing so I wouldn't have to worry.

Of course, I got home to find a note to the contrary! There's no phone where she is. I don't know where the dog's nominal owner has gone (her dad called me to ask, which is part of the 'nother story...) and I HATE BEING STUCK HERE WITH THIS DOGGIE. He's a perfectly nice pit bull; good temperament, offers no-one any offense, just stupid-puppy playfulness. Walks ok on a leash but I don't want to take him. (I know, for the safety of my carpets I do, and often, but I don't want to.)

He has several bones to chew. And a packet of incense (taken away), a box of tissues (big parts taken away, small parts awaiting vacuum), a roll of paper towels (ditto the tissues), several cat food cans (taken away), some plastic water bottles (empty, thank goodness, and taken away), a permanent black marker (withstood the P.B. jaws; taken away), and Lord-only-knows what-all else that's currently hidden in the blizzard of tissue bits. (I combed through to remove permant markers/other dangers to life and rug, but it's still a MESS.) Also I'm running out of food and there's at least three meals left to go before a Proper Caretaker gets back.

Thank you for listening. I feel much better now. I will feel better still when daughter comes home and I can SKIN HER for sticking me with this dog. And get her to clean up the floor. (Happily, I control her allowance, and can withhold as long as necessary/desirable!) After that I will feel better when we find Friend and tell her to take her hound-puppy elsewhere! Meanwhile, I gotta walk the dorg. ug.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 920 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 3 Jul, 2005 03:28 pm
Wy--

You have my sympathy.

I had a pit bull puppy who chewed razor blades from the heads of "disposable razors".

She has mellowed a bit in her old age, but last night she started a dog fight with a Great Dane.

At least my pit bull is mine--and housebroken.
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Sun 3 Jul, 2005 07:51 pm
Thank you for your kind words.

All he wants is a proper pack leader. Last night he slept at the foot of my bed... sweet. (And better than the night before, when he thought he'd sleep IN the bed...)

Over the monitor I see he's got something green. I have no green dog toys. Better go.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 3 Jul, 2005 09:35 pm
Unfortunately a 4 month old puppy of any breed can bully a 16 year old girl.

Hold your dominion.
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Mon 4 Jul, 2005 12:41 pm
The owner does have a few things in her favor. She works part-time for the breeder as cleanup kid and dog-walker, so she's familiar with the breed. She aspires to be a professional dog trainer (at the moment; 16-yr-olds ambitions are a-blowin' in the wind, ya know) and schools him when she's here. Also, she and my kid (gotta think up a sozlet-style name for her) have the energy and desire to walk him exhausted, and I don't.

Unfortunately, this running-off and leaving-me-stuck shows a, to me, unusually rare bit of irresponsibility.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 4 Jul, 2005 03:24 pm
Wy--

Lucky girls! They will have fireworks on the 4th and more fireworks on the 5th--and they've earned the extras.

You should have less than twenty four hours left as den mother to a pit bull.
0 Replies