Ten years ago this board have some chess culture so???

BillRM

Reply Sat 2 May, 2020 03:15 am
I stop playing the game long long ago myself and just now from boredom restart my interest in chess after running into the website chess.com.

I do not know what happen ten plus years ago here but might there be others who would be currently interest in the subject?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 1,452 • Replies: 7
No top replies

engineer

Reply Sat 2 May, 2020 06:34 am
@BillRM,
I guess it depends on what country you're from. When I was young Bobby Fischer was in the news and everyone was taking up chess. Nowadays there's not really a US standard-bearer. On the other hand the current world champion is considered one of the best ever and his top Challenger is brilliant as well. It's also a lot more fun to follow the top games live since the commentators have high speed computers helping them.
hightor

Reply Sat 2 May, 2020 06:54 am
I used to be pretty active. There was a "flash" chess site where I would play against a computer and I had a pretty good record of wins. That site disappeared and I went on another site, was challenged by a human, and got beaten in about fifteen moves! It's difficult for me to rationalize the time I'd spend online and the level of intensity required to really start playing matches.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Sat 2 May, 2020 07:04 am

A2k Chess used to be a thing.

not sure if it still works...
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Sat 2 May, 2020 07:35 am
@engineer,
engineer wrote:

I guess it depends on what country you're from. When I was young Bobby Fischer was in the news and everyone was taking up chess. Nowadays there's not really a US standard-bearer. On the other hand the current world champion is considered one of the best ever and his top Challenger is brilliant as well. It's also a lot more fun to follow the top games live since the commentators have high speed computers helping them.

I learn and began playing chess in high school as for one thing it was the only game allow in the daily study hall.

Then the teacher that normally oversaw my study hall was a chess lover and as a result he often would sign a pass for me when him and I would play pass the end of the study hall period an I needed to get into my next class with a note from him.

Never knew if he had gotten into trouble for doing so or not.
0 Replies

eurocelticyankee

Reply Sat 2 May, 2020 07:44 am
@BillRM,
Here's a free chess site.

https://www.chess.com/play/computer

I'd be in the same boat as Hightor. I can beat the computer to a certain level but i'm sure if i were to play a person i'd be slaughtered.
BillRM

Reply Sat 2 May, 2020 04:45 pm
@eurocelticyankee,
eurocelticyankee wrote:

Here's a free chess site.

https://www.chess.com/play/computer

I'd be in the same boat as Hightor. I can beat the computer to a certain level but i'm sure if i were to play a person i'd be slaughtered.

Thanks for suggesting that interesting site however their chess computer give some odd results at times, on the lower setting at least, in almost throwing away pieces in insane moves.

By the way years ago I found an interesting means to upset chess computers and it still seems to apply today.

After getting into a solid open position you go on a trading mission with the game peaces.

The chess program computers seem to this day not to handle well the large scale trading of pieces in the early mid game.

lmur

Reply Sat 2 May, 2020 05:00 pm
@BillRM,
I've been a member of a site called chessworld for 15 years or so. Membership is worldwide but mainly UK and US. Caters for all levels. Cost is under €30 per annum but you can register as a guest without any commitment. You can play individual games, knockouts and all-play-alls, playing as many or as few games as you like.
0 Replies