We should be giving Africa condoms, not food.

jnkie

Reply Fri 11 Nov, 2005 08:07 am
yeah I know. Wouldn't want to stay anywhere else. Except a tropical island retreat maybe. Laughing
0 Replies

jaco

Reply Thu 22 Feb, 2007 05:14 am
On Aid to Africa
Hi, i'm new to this site, but have been looking at this discussion on how aid to Africa has been such a failure from so many different persectives - people now have some very strong views because we feel at a loss for ways forward. All the existing international institutions and structures in place to address poverty in Africa seem to have got things so wrong. But as someone has said, these institutions and mechanisms are in place. So how can we make them work more effectively? How can we make sure that aid really gets to people who could be more self-sufficient and not dependent on emergency aid. I came across a website called African Voices in Europe which is a project of a UK organisation called Practical Action. The project has tried to get the voices of Africa's poor in remote areas to policy makers in Europe. There is a great account of some MEPs visiting Kenyan communities - and it shows how powerful a greater understanding of their context can be in changing policy. These MEPs are now working within the European Community to make sure aid is used more effectively - to reach people such as those they met on their visit. The whole site discusses how aid to agriculture can be improved, including videos and photos of people in zambia and kenya saying what their priorities are and how international aid (in this case from Europe) can be improved.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Thu 22 Feb, 2007 05:32 am
Re: We should be giving Africa condoms, not food.
Centroles wrote:
Seriously,

Spending the money on food is pointless.

We should using the money to build irrigation systems so they can grow their own food.

We should cleaning up all the warlords there and building roads and such so that businesses can set up camp there.

We should be donating birth control supplies and educating them on family planning, safe sex and such.

Totally agre, especially re the birth safe sex issue!!
Ive seen many documentaries where it clearly shows they just dont car who they pass ant viruses to.They would prefer to believe a witch doctor telling them that you can cure HIV by raping a baby, rather than use condoms to prevent it in the first place.
0 Replies

Centroles

Reply Sun 11 Nov, 2007 03:34 pm
Anyone here disagree?
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2007 12:35 am
Re: We should be giving Africa condoms, not food.
material girl wrote:
Centroles wrote:
Seriously,

Spending the money on food is pointless.

We should using the money to build irrigation systems so they can grow their own food.

We should cleaning up all the warlords there and building roads and such so that businesses can set up camp there.

We should be donating birth control supplies and educating them on family planning, safe sex and such.

Totally agre, especially re the birth safe sex issue!!
Ive seen many documentaries where it clearly shows they just dont car who they pass ant viruses to.They would prefer to believe a witch doctor telling them that you can cure HIV by raping a baby, rather than use condoms to prevent it in the first place.

hmmm... i've seen many documentaries myself, but none quite like that. plus, our neighbor here has an NGO helping to establish HIV/AIDS clinics and train staff in a number of African countries, so I heard many first hand accounts too.
Who are 'they'?
Centroles

Reply Thu 18 Sep, 2008 12:29 am
@dagmaraka,
Republicans.
0 Replies