"Everything happens for a reason" and Free Will.

Mathos

Reply Tue 5 Jul, 2005 03:04 pm
Interesting Thalion, we know so little.

Pre-programmed ?
0 Replies

Ray

Reply Tue 5 Jul, 2005 03:06 pm
It seems that people are ignoring my posts....

We are part of the system, and thus any factors that contributed to our actions are a part of our brain at that time, whether caused or not, and thus we are choosing, even though the choice might itself be misguided. In this sense, we are making the choice in our own free will.
0 Replies

thethinkfactory

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2005 02:18 pm
Thalion - are you saying that even if forces are completely determined for us that simply the witnessing of these determinate forces infold consists of some form of free will?

Ray - I did not ignore you. I am not sure what free will is, but I think we have it and your concept of free will is a good argument for it. For me I could agree so I did not comment.

TTF
0 Replies

Mathos

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2005 02:47 pm
Ray,
0 Replies

Mathos

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2005 02:48 pm
Ray, we have no idea how the sub conscious play's a role in what we consider to be free will.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2005 02:54 pm
Re: "Everything happens for a reason" and Free Wil
thethinkfactory wrote:
I hear VERY often the statement -

"Everything happens for a reason" This statement was made by Bella on another thread and I wanted to make my own thread to address my argument. (Caveat - NONE of this thread is personally addressing Bella or his / her thoughts. It wa simply the impetus for the thread)

Yeah yeah, I know it's a personal attack. :wink:
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2005 02:56 pm
I believe that everything happens for a reason. I believe that we will end up at the same place, no matter which path we choose. There are many many ways we can get there; which is where free will comes into play. We can make a decision that changes the entire course of our lives but regardless, I think the end is already "planned" and we will end up where we were suppose to end up.

Make sense?
0 Replies

thethinkfactory

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2005 08:15 pm
It does - it seems to make the walk superfluous if we all end up at the location we were supposed to and destined to to begin with.

Considering life has a lot of pain attatched - it seems downright mean.

TTF
0 Replies

Ray

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2005 11:11 pm
Quote:
Ray - I did not ignore you. I am not sure what free will is, but I think we have it and your concept of free will is a good argument for it. For me I could agree so I did not comment.

Thanks. I just think that it's best that we should consider the person choosing before deciding on whether or not there is a free will. I think I've expressed my view on this...
0 Replies

pragmatic

Reply Thu 7 Jul, 2005 12:23 am
Re: "Everything happens for a reason" and Free Wil
thethinkfactory wrote:
My argument is simple - "Everything happens for a reason." obliterates the possiblility of Free Will (atleast in humans). God's free will could be the "reason" things are happening but if "Everthing happens for a reason" and those reasons are not ours - then we do not have free will in any positive sense of the word. (I will allow for the thought that we have free will - but not that there is any free will actually inherent in the world as far as humans go.)

Thoughts?

I have one only in regards to the above statement - you are absolutely right when you pointed out the above circular contradiction. This question has always been preying on my mind - if we have been determined to have free will, we never had free will, it is still pre-determined.
0 Replies