1
   

Am I "spiritually" shallow?

 
 
Reply Sat 2 Jul, 2005 12:40 am
I'm at a point in my life where the only thing that appears important is the relationships one creates/keeps.(Note, this feeling may be a result of the dearth of relationships in my life. I am a lonely little boy, if you couldn't already tell from the fact that I'm posting on a message board on a Friday night Sad )
I have no interest in furthering my knowledge base, finding "faith", engaging in philanthropic activities, helping force political change etc. Basically, any activities "society" holds as noble/important/"deep". I only engage in said activities, as a result of all the free time I have on my hands.

Presently, my main goal in life is to make fortune while I'm young so that I can retire and buy a really nice car/clothes, get a chin implant/artificial facial improvements, and go to clubs/bars to bring home girls to love/know before I move on to the next.


On one hand I feel like I'm being true to myself by pursuing such a life, as that is what I currently desire. On the other hand, I wonder how meaningful such a life would be and if I would be disappointed when I grew old if all I had ever done included having wild sex and building great relationships with a plethora of beautiful women.

I find it hard to believe that such a life of promiscuity would disappoint me when I grow old, but it could happen.

So I ask great posters of Able2Know, if you had the chance to throw away all your book learning and live a life of blissful ignorance filled with sexual exploits, great relationships and adventure, would you do it? Oh and also, wtf is wrong wit me!?!?!?

Embarrassed
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 964 • Replies: 12
No top replies

 
diagknowz
 
  1  
Reply Sat 2 Jul, 2005 12:58 am
Re: Am I "spiritually" shallow?
Bubba, do you **REALLY** want an honest opinion :wink: ? Bec. we don't wanna get bounced out the door if we say sumpin thatcha don't fancy!
0 Replies
 
diagknowz
 
  1  
Reply Sat 2 Jul, 2005 01:06 am
Re: Am I "spiritually" shallow?
Sorry, the site was having major problems and double-posted my comment. No way to totally delete it, so, sorry for the clutter! Sad
0 Replies
 
BubbaGumbo
 
  1  
Reply Sat 2 Jul, 2005 01:09 am
"Bubba, do you **REALLY** want an honest opinion Wink ? Bec. we don't wanna get bounced out the door if we say sumpin thatcha don't fancy!"

LOL. Yes I do really want to know. Laughing Let me have it. I am armed and prepared to return fire!
0 Replies
 
diagknowz
 
  1  
Reply Sat 2 Jul, 2005 01:14 am
BubbaGumbo wrote:
"Bubba, do you **REALLY** want an honest opinion Wink ? Bec. we don't wanna get bounced out the door if we say sumpin thatcha don't fancy!"

LOL. Yes I do really want to know. Laughing Let me have it. I am armed and prepared to return fire!


OK, this is just my **OPINION** which is based purely on what you've written. I'd say that if you were THOROUGHLY spiritually shallow, you wouldn't have posted this question. Could it be that wayyyyy down inside, you recognize that those goals you mentioned are truly vapid in the end?

And, I hope you won't mind this question, but I like to see if my hunches about folks are right: did you have a grandparent (or more than one) or even a mom who're very devoted to the LORD?

As for "wtf is wrong with me," could it be that you weren't designed for those goals? That maybe there's something much more worthwhile in life, and wayyyyyy down in the bottom of your being, you know that?
0 Replies
 
BubbaGumbo
 
  1  
Reply Sat 2 Jul, 2005 01:32 am
"OK, this is just my **OPINION** which is based purely on what you've written"

LOL nice reference, that was clever.

Yes, in fact my parents and extended family are devout Catholics. I was raised a Catholic, but considered myself an atheist probably around the age of 16. I'm the only atheist in my family, as the more I read and learn, the less plausible the existence of a deity appears. I do not discuss issues of spirituality/religion with my family, as my beliefs have caused me to be somewhat of a pariah at family gatherings.

I realize my posting a question meant to garner feedback is in contradiction to my sentiments that "I don't care about furthering my knowledge base", but I hold by that point. I merely post on these boards to pass time and engage in interesting discussion which I enjoy, but I'd prefer to be doing other "things", namely babes. Cool Laughing
0 Replies
 
diagknowz
 
  1  
Reply Sat 2 Jul, 2005 01:35 am
Interesting, Bubba, very interesting...

And since I'm a "babe" myself, who's passionately interested in tons of non-man/woman things, I can't quite relate to your passion. Laughing
0 Replies
 
BubbaGumbo
 
  1  
Reply Sat 2 Jul, 2005 01:41 am
"And since I'm a "babe" myself, who's passionately interested in tons of non-man/woman things, I can't quite relate to your passion"

what...you are female? *drools* PICS!?!?!? Razz

It's a shame you don't share my passion, I thought my conquests were going to start tonight! They will come, in good time. I have "faith"....in Dr.90210 Laughing
0 Replies
 
BubbaGumbo
 
  1  
Reply Sat 2 Jul, 2005 01:47 am
"As for "wtf is wrong with me," could it be that you weren't designed for those goals? That maybe there's something much more worthwhile in life, and wayyyyyy down in the bottom of your being, you know that?"

Back on topic: That is the problem, I can't seem to find it anywhere deep down inside. I ask because my goals so sharply conflict with what society holds to be a respectable and righteous life to live. I'm trying to figure out if I'm wrong/shallow or the lifestyles presented by our society are opressive and backwards.

I take it that you side with society on this diga?
0 Replies
 
real life
 
  1  
Reply Sat 2 Jul, 2005 02:01 am
Re: Am I "spiritually" shallow?
BubbaGumbo wrote:
I'm at a point in my life where the only thing that appears important is the relationships one creates/keeps.(Note, this feeling may be a result of the dearth of relationships in my life. I am a lonely little boy, if you couldn't already tell from the fact that I'm posting on a message board on a Friday night Sad )
I have no interest in furthering my knowledge base, finding "faith", engaging in philanthropic activities, helping force political change etc. Basically, any activities "society" holds as noble/important/"deep". I only engage in said activities, as a result of all the free time I have on my hands.

Presently, my main goal in life is to make fortune while I'm young so that I can retire and buy a really nice car/clothes, get a chin implant/artificial facial improvements, and go to clubs/bars to bring home girls to love/know before I move on to the next.


On one hand I feel like I'm being true to myself by pursuing such a life, as that is what I currently desire. On the other hand, I wonder how meaningful such a life would be and if I would be disappointed when I grew old if all I had ever done included having wild sex and building great relationships with a plethora of beautiful women.

I find it hard to believe that such a life of promiscuity would disappoint me when I grow old, but it could happen.

So I ask great posters of Able2Know, if you had the chance to throw away all your book learning and live a life of blissful ignorance filled with sexual exploits, great relationships and adventure, would you do it? Oh and also, wtf is wrong wit me!?!?!?

Embarrassed


I'd say you're very likely to meet girls that are much like yourself.

They will not be interested in your happiness but theirs only, just as you are interested in yours only .

Sounds like a great life, eh? Yeah it probably won't disappoint you when you are old. It won't take nearly that long.
0 Replies
 
Cyracuz
 
  1  
Reply Sat 2 Jul, 2005 03:55 am
Bubba, sounds to me as if you just want to sail on a puffy cloud through existence. The true value of things is seldom found in the things themselves.

But pursuing moments of physical extacy, drowning oneself in decadence, doesn't neccesarily mean that you are spiritually crippled. It just means that you are not listening to your inner voice.

You've stated what you'd like to do, but not why you want to do it. What is the motivation for all this, if you don't mind my asking?
0 Replies
 
neologist
 
  1  
Reply Sun 3 Jul, 2005 05:07 pm
Re: Am I "spiritually" shallow?
BubbaGumbo wrote:
So I ask great posters of Able2Know, if you had the chance to throw away all your book learning and live a life of blissful ignorance filled with sexual exploits, great relationships and adventure, would you do it? Oh and also, wtf is wrong wit me!?!?!?
Embarrassed
Before he died, my friend Stanley lived a life of blissful ignorance filled with sexual exploits and adventure. His relationships seemed more shallow and transitory than great, however. I always thought it was because of his never ending search for new pleasure.

Stanley finally died in the pursuit of one of his passions, that of chasing cars.

I buried him in the backyard. Details of his funeral are posted elsewhere on a2k. I hope this helps. :wink:
0 Replies
 
diagknowz
 
  1  
Reply Wed 13 Jul, 2005 09:15 pm
BubbaGumbo wrote:
... conflict with what society holds to be a respectable and righteous life to live. I'm trying to figure out if I'm wrong/shallow or the lifestyles presented by our society are opressive and backwards.

I take it that you side with society on this diga?


Bubba, on the contrary, for 40 years, society has exalted the very things you're panting after. "Respectable" and "righteous" have not been societally in vogue since the 30's or before.

I "side" with the One Who made you and me. :wink:
0 Replies
 
 

Related Topics

700 Inconsistencies in the Bible - Discussion by onevoice
Why do we deliberately fool ourselves? - Discussion by coincidence
Spirituality - Question by Miller
Oneness vs. Trinity - Discussion by Arella Mae
give you chills - Discussion by Bartikus
Evidence for Evolution! - Discussion by Bartikus
Evidence of God! - Discussion by Bartikus
One World Order?! - Discussion by Bartikus
God loves us all....!? - Discussion by Bartikus
The Preambles to Our States - Discussion by Charli
 
  1. Forums
  2. » Am I "spiritually" shallow?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 05/29/2024 at 12:01:07