Why no focus on COVID-recoveries?

Sun 29 Mar, 2020 09:26 am
We get lots of statistics about the number of COVID19 cases and deaths, along with lots of discussion of ventilators and masks; but what about recoveries?

Canadian 'first lady' Trudeau, for example, is currently in the news as having had the virus and recovering. Tom Hanks has also been in the news for the same reason.

Yet despite the number of recoveries, there are no statistics focusing on this, as far as I have seen; and little if any information about the factors that made it possible for these healthy immune systems to fight off the disease.

We are told how to quarantine and social-distance, but not given much information on survivors/recoveries and advice on how to maximize our immune-readiness to handle infection if it happens.

How about some preparatory guidelines for how to avoid ending up on a ventilator, instead of just worrying about producing more ventilators?

After all, the more people can get through an infection without the need for a ventilator, the more currently-available ventilators can be kept free for those in need.

Don't we have a responsibility to maximize health and immunity in ourselves; not just for ourselves but for the benefit of others who can get better care if less people are flooding the hospitals with demand?

Walter Hinteler

Sun 29 Mar, 2020 10:04 am
@livinglava,
livinglava wrote:
Yet despite the number of recoveries, there are no statistics focusing on this, as far as I have seen; and little if any information about the factors that made it possible for these healthy immune systems to fight off the disease.
You should change the source of getting news.
farmerman

Sun 29 Mar, 2020 05:51 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
we haave each countis GIS systems keep stats on the virus included in the data (per day) are cases, confirmation, ICU. recovery , discharge date, confirmation of NLS. .
Then, ach county has a pinpoint map where each of the cases were located (in case of homeless or "travelers"-the map is the hospital or 911 call).

As Walter said, prhaps you should look harder for sources. Try state or local Health Dept web sites.
RABEL222

Sun 29 Mar, 2020 11:11 pm
@livinglava,
Covid cases-deaths=recoveries
0 Replies

livinglava

Mon 30 Mar, 2020 11:21 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

we haave each countis GIS systems keep stats on the virus included in the data (per day) are cases, confirmation, ICU. recovery , discharge date, confirmation of NLS. .
Then, ach county has a pinpoint map where each of the cases were located (in case of homeless or "travelers"-the map is the hospital or 911 call).

As Walter said, prhaps you should look harder for sources. Try state or local Health Dept web sites.

I have looked at public health counts, but I am talking about the general picture that's coming through the popular news sources.

They are sending out messages about sickness and dying, masks and ventilators, but not telling people how immunity and recovery work.

I've heard, for example, that air pollution makes people more vulnerable to COVID19, but I haven't seen any scientific articles about what exactly the air pollution does to mucus membranes and how the coronavirus's interaction with the body is mitigated by mucus membranes.

We know that the coronavirus looks like the sun, or like a prickly ball, and I've read a few articles on how it tears through cell membranes to infect host cells, but nothing about how mucus membranes are able to withstand infection or how immunological mechanisms deal with the infected cells once they have been taken over by the virus to reproduce more viruses.

We know that certain people recover, so why not more news stories explaining how they recover, how their immune systems got and stayed fit enough to fight off the sickness?

Personally, I think that pollen exposure helps challenge mucus membranes and immune systems to deal more effectively with viruses, but I'm not sure how. I think air-pollution probably has negative chemical effects on mucus membranes, while pollen has positive effects, but that is really just an assumption based on knowing that natural ecosystemic interactions have prepared generations of organisms evolutionarily to successfully deal with pathogens and other threats.
farmerman

Mon 30 Mar, 2020 05:16 pm
@livinglava,
whoaa. Now youve added a whole bunch more stuff to your original question. Im not a mindreader so I guess youre on your own .

You ever hear of HIPAA?

Good Luck
0 Replies