War Protests Misguided - Here's a Better Way

Reply Sat 22 Mar, 2003 01:28 pm
My daughter's Letter to the Editor - BBB

War Protests Misguided - Here's a Better Way
Date: 3/22/2003 11:08:28 AM Mountain Standard Time
To: [email protected]

Yes, it's about oil. Not because the U.S. relies on Iraqi oil. It doesn't. It's about control of a critical world commodity. Not so much that the U.S. wants that control (although I suspect there are many in the current administration who do). It's more about denying that control to the Saudis. It is about neutralizing Saudi's grip on OPEC. This will not be the last conflict we get involved in with regard to Iraq. We'll eventually also be at war with Saudi Arabia with Iraq as our puppet. I highly doubt the royal Saudi family will easily relinquish control of OPEC.

In the long run, this is a good thing for mankind. It signals the beginning of the end of a world so dependent upon oil. The world will finally start eliminating that dependency on the petrol economy. I fear it will be a very deadly and bloody path to get to that point and I hope our future generations of mankind survive the means that gets us to that end.

Thinking about it from that point of view, I question the effectiveness and consequences of current protest demonstrations. We'd be so much better off campaigning for moving toward an oil-free environment and economy as a way to eliminate the pending wars over the last dwindling supplies of oil. The war protests only distract us from the need for change and prolong the era we'll need to survive before that conversion is achieved.

L. W.
California
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 782 • Replies: 1
No top replies

roger

Reply Sat 22 Mar, 2003 02:12 pm
Your daughter sounds quite bright.
0 Replies