Where to go on my Coronavirus vacation?

Reply Sun 15 Mar, 2020 11:14 am
I had plans to visit family near Orlando Florida during my daughter's April vacation. I bought plane tickets and took off time from work. My mother called me to tell me she didn't want to see me because she is elderly and at risk, My daughter also wanted to go to Univeral Studios, which is now closed.

It turns out the Orlando is a terrible place to be if your goal is to avoid large crowds.

The airline is letting me change the tickets... and I want to keep the dates. So the question is where to go?

We are thinking about renting an Airbnb on some beach (I always enjoy Mexico). Probably we could avoid people and have a nice relaxing vacation. But I want to get some more ideas. The criteria.

- I need a vacation. Staying at home is not a good option.

- Europe is out, but I don't mind international travel to the CDC level 2 countries (i.e. Latin America or Caribean).

- We want to find fun things to do that avoid large groups of people. Hiking is good or wildlife. Cafes are OK. Concerts are off the list.

- We don't mind a self-quarantine at home after we get back. I can work from home and school is canceled indefinitely anyway.

So... help me think outside the box. Where should we go?

rosborne979

Reply Sun 15 Mar, 2020 01:33 pm
@maxdancona,
Carlsbad Caverns NM
maxdancona

Reply Sun 15 Mar, 2020 02:47 pm
@rosborne979,
We were actually thinking about the American South West ... Carlsbad Carverns would be a good place to do interesting things away from people.

0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Sun 15 Mar, 2020 03:00 pm
Probably best to avoid New York State. There may be some safer spots, but the information is vague as to whether Buffalo or Watertown or The Springs (Saratoga and Ballston Spa) is good. NYC is not as our numbers keep rising.

Read today that West Virginia is still in the clear. No confirmed cases so far.
maxdancona

Reply Sun 15 Mar, 2020 03:58 pm
@Sturgis,
Upstate New York is no fun (we are in driving distance and have family there). We have already seen our share of upstate New York.
Sturgis

Reply Sun 15 Mar, 2020 04:01 pm
@maxdancona,
Might I recommend Jersey?

Head down the shore.
maxdancona

Reply Sun 15 Mar, 2020 04:07 pm
@Sturgis,
Sturgis wrote:

Might I recommend Jersey?

Head down the shore.

Ha ha. Corona or no corona, that tops the list of places I don't want to be.

(And besides... isn't England part of the travel ban?)
Sturgis

Reply Sun 15 Mar, 2020 04:11 pm
@maxdancona,
Sorry, I meant New Jersey. I usually call it Jersey.
Try Sedona (Arizona)
maxdancona

Reply Sun 15 Mar, 2020 04:24 pm
@Sturgis,
Sturgis wrote:

Sorry, I meant New Jersey. I usually call it Jersey.
Try Sedona (Arizona)

I was joking Wink. I knew what you meant.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sun 15 Mar, 2020 09:17 pm
I recommend a tropical beach somewhere where there are few crowds.

Staying in US territory is advisable though. Perhaps the US Virgin Islands?
maxdancona

Reply Sun 15 Mar, 2020 10:15 pm
@oralloy,
I am pretty sure that if I leave the US, I will go to Mexico. I speak the language and have spent a lot of time there.

I was thinking either Cozumel or Chiapas. The only problem with these destinations is that I would have to transfer through Mexico City airport.

0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 16 Mar, 2020 08:33 am
@maxdancona,
I have some family in Florida - my daughter wants to use the money she saved all year to go to a (now canceled) mission trip to Belize to go to florida instead. I told her to wait it out first as we really do not know when things are going to "open up" in a sense.

The problem with that - in Florida they are Closing the beaches - not sure how you can really close a beach - but my niece in Florida sent a facebook update stating this - she has no reason to make it up.

I would guess though if you rented an one on the beach it would be potentially private property so you could hang on the beach - just make sure you bring your own toilet paper with you on the plane ---

Also if you get a private house with a private beach you wouldn't need to worry about crowds.
maxdancona

Reply Mon 16 Mar, 2020 09:43 am
@Linkat,
My original plans were to go to Florida. Now, I think Florida is near the bottom of my list. The only reasons for us to go to Florida are to visit elderly family members and and theme parks. Both of those are now closed.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Mon 16 Mar, 2020 01:03 pm
Fairbanks, Alaska or Nova Scotia.
Linkat

Reply Mon 16 Mar, 2020 01:09 pm
@tsarstepan,
I hear that Montana and west Virginia do not have any cases - try there
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 16 Mar, 2020 01:31 pm
@Linkat,
Go where the (tourist) crowds aren't.
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Mon 16 Mar, 2020 01:37 pm
Costa Rica...oops, too late.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Mon 16 Mar, 2020 01:47 pm
How about a visit to Corona, New Mexico?
It's a short drive from there to Roswell...
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 16 Mar, 2020 01:50 pm
@Sturgis,
Sturgis wrote:

How about a visit to Corona, New Mexico?
It's a short drive from there to Roswell...

Clearly Area 51 has the cure to all diseases. Just sayin'....
maxdancona

Reply Mon 16 Mar, 2020 02:42 pm
@tsarstepan,
Will a Narutu run help me avoid the virus?

1. Forums
  2. » Where to go on my Coronavirus vacation?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.43 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 10:44:57