No top replies

quinn1

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2005 04:46 pm
I saw that article...very interesting!!
Thanks for sharing!
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2005 05:48 pm
Vernon and Elroy, two brothers in Missouri have a hobby of crawling along shallows in the rivers and "grabbin flathead catties" by the mouth and bringing em up to skin and make into catfish fry strips. I would imagine that this Mekong mama would consider Vernon (who is a big boy) "bait"
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2005 08:27 pm
Here's the pic of this huge baby! Shocked

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2005/06/photogalleries/giantcatfish/images/primary/catfish1.jpg
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2005 08:33 pm
Aren't all the fisherman around the world wondering what the heck they used for bait? Or, how they reeled him in?

It's not like you expect to have to have deep sea line for fishing in a river. How does one bring that in without a crane?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 1 Jul, 2005 05:23 am
use 20 lb line, a metal leader and keep your drag set open. This will wear im out inabout a week.
I know that for big flatheads they use rope "trotlines" which are lines stretched across the river with ropes tied off at intervals and set with very large tuna hooks with dead chickens for bait. They put bells on the lines to signal when something is on.

Or else they use dynamite.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 1 Jul, 2005 07:19 am
In one photo i saw, two boys down on the Tennessee had used a logging chain . . .
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 1 Jul, 2005 07:24 am
HOLY SH*T!

Nah, they didnt use fishing line for THAT.
It was a baseball bat!
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Fri 1 Jul, 2005 08:07 am
Unsubstantiated rumor has it that the line was a cable used in bridge spans and was hauled in with the aid of a bulldozer.
0 Replies

raprap

Reply Fri 1 Jul, 2005 10:21 am
farmerman wrote:
Vernon and Elroy, two brothers in Missouri have a hobby of crawling along shallows in the rivers and "grabbin flathead catties" by the mouth and bringing em up to skin and make into catfish fry strips. I would imagine that this Mekong mama would consider Vernon (who is a big boy) "bait"

That's Tickling catfish.

My brother-in-law used to tickle catfish in the Wabash near Mt Vernon. They'd crawl along the shallows like you said, looking for holes in the steep mud banks where the catfish would lair tail first. They reach into the holes and grab the catfish and hurl it up on the bank. My brother-in laws main concern was finding a snapping turtle, fortunately they usually went in a hole head first.

I've also seen him (and 'Chummy') catfish using scrap steel pipe. They'd leave the pipe in the river marked with a milk bottle float. Fishing was done by simultaneously plug both ends of the pipe and drag the whole thing up on the shore. If it worked they have one for supper.

Rap
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 1 Jul, 2005 10:31 am
They grab em in the mouth right? As a kid, i got stung by a bullhead catty's dorsal spine and it wnt in like a needle and then , in a few days got all infected and I hadda go to the hospital.

How could these guys claim that they werent trying to catch an endangered fish when they was a fishin with suspension cables and bulldozers? They probably used F-16 tailhooks for the shank.
0 Replies

raprap

Reply Fri 1 Jul, 2005 11:02 am
Yep and they wore heavy leather gloves, although that wouldn't matter to a big snapper.

My particular favorite was fiddlers--catfish about 12 inches long rolled in batter and deep fried. Three fiddlers, chips, a lettuce wedge salad and a fishbowl of beer is damn near the perfect lunch for a working man. The best I've ever had was at the Dogtown Tavern

Along the Carolina coast they sharks fish using steel cable as a leader on 1000 pound test line.

Rap
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 1 Jul, 2005 07:50 pm
When I used to work down near Imokalee Fla, They had a restaurant there that had a lunch that would make ya think it was heaven.
Small catfish fried up in a cracker crumb coating, help yourself to the dippins , either a mayo and onion and pickle mix, or a butter, or a horseradish.
three sides including collards and hamhocks
crowder peas
fried okra slices (no snot in the center)
spiced tomatoes

Then ya had yer cornbread or hushpuppies. Nobody down there ever heard of a "salad bar"

And an endless glass of the sweetest ice tea, made your teeth hurt.

AND
a great big hunk of key lime pie or an orange coconut mix, very nice .

Tough little town, good food.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 1 Jul, 2005 07:54 pm
I heard a story about a guy in Delaware who tore the tow-rope eyelets out of the transom of his Carolina Skiff by tying up a strong wire leader on which there was a big shark on the other end.
0 Replies