How long can a dog go without peeing?

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2005 08:28 pm
I got up at 6 am and went out with my American Bulldog, Lulu, for a walk. I like to take her because we have a local bear and she barks to scare it off. She pee'd near the trail, but refused to go for a walk in our woods (not unusual, she prefers to go with my husband who is away today). All day she refused to go out. I finally put her on her leash and dragged her into our field (not easy to do with this pulling type breed, very strong). She pulled me back to the house. I tried a few more times. She refused, even when I chanted "go pee, go pee" which she is trained to do on command. Now it is late and she has not pee'd since 6 AM. She does not want to go out and looks at me like
"no way am I going out in the dark". How long can a dog hold it in? She usually goes out 3-4 times a day. I don't think she has a bladder problem, I think she just does not want to go out. Can dogs not go for 24 hours?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 52,497 • Replies: 28
No top replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2005 08:31 pm
Green Witch--

Tell her you want to rub her tummy and feel between the rows of nippled for a hard, distended lump which would be the bladder.

If you feel a distended bladder or Lulu complains that you're hurting her, call the vet.

Hold your dominion.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2005 08:36 pm
I just noticed she is going to the window a lot and sniffing in a way that makes her look afraid - and believe me this 110lb muscle dog is not afraid of much. It's sort of creeping me out. She just keeps staring and sniffing with a puzzled look on her face. She did this earlier in the day, but I didn't really think much about it. No reports of cougars in the Catskills and the she likes the bear. We do have some nasty looking coyotes lurking around, maybe that's it.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2005 08:42 pm
Greenwitch, she's probably just wondering where her pa is. I'd try and get her to pee a couple more times, stay close the house and hope she just lets it go. And, you know, there are worse things in life than a little dog pee on the rug.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2005 08:43 pm
In the Poconos we're at the height of mating season for black bears. Perhaps Lulu is smelling a stranger?

Is she listless? Or normally alert?
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2005 08:47 pm
I can handle a bear, a cougar, pee on the rug and even those wiley coyotes. I just hope the "stranger" is not a male human. Now where did I put the shotgun ammo?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2005 08:50 pm
ooooohhhh...
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2005 08:52 pm
A human male would probably be more reluctant to tangle with Lulu than a bear or cougar would. Lulu may have other ideas.

Trust her instincts, and let her know it's ok if she has to pee inside - put down some papers and give her the usual command.

She doesn't want to go out there without her dad, and forcing her might just cause some kind of other anxiety behaviour that would be even worse than peeing in the house in an emergency.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2005 08:58 pm
I do think part of the problem is the lack of "Dog Daddy" - he has the other two dogs with him, so I think she is also missing her pack. I keep her home when he is gone because she is a good guard dog, and you're right ehBeth, few people would want to mess with her - she looks like a pitbull on steroids.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2005 08:58 pm
<nodding> I agree with Beth.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2005 09:00 pm
The other two dogs are away as well?

<nodding>

Separating my canine companions never works well.

<shaking head>

Ask the groomer where Cleo tried to run away.

The groomer Cleo pooped on.

The groomer Cleo bit. Confused

The groomers Cleo scared so much they wouldn't take her out of the crate.

Cleo does not co-operate with anyone if Bailey isn't around.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2005 09:04 pm
Lulu is apparently missing the pack and the pack leader. She apparently does not consider you a high ranking member of the pack and she is anxious and indecisive without the leader to sort things out. She will only hold her peeing until she really has to go. Unless it is something medical, I would not worry about it. Nature will run it's course. Is she eating and drinking normally?
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2005 09:11 pm
They are usually separated one or two nights a week. Dog Daddy has an elderly mother that needs to be checked on and she is far enough away that he spends the night. It's rare that the pack is gone all day and night. I doubt the other dogs are having this problem, they see Lulu as an elephant who arrived one day to make them miserable (she steals their toys and beds and they are 1/3 her size). I asked her again to go out and she just went to her bed and laid down - I guess I will have to hope she doesn't leak or decides that at 2 am it's time to pee.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2005 10:04 pm
Good luck GW and a good dog big baby girl.
0 Replies

AngeliqueEast

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2005 12:14 am
GW, both you and your pet's instincts may be right, and it could be both of you may be sensing danger.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2005 06:16 am
Well, we survived the night and Lulu the Wonderdog finally pee'd at 7:30 AM (I'm sure you were all waiting with great anticipation for that info.), although she would not leave the property. I think Intrepid is correct and Lulu views me as "just the staff" for the dog pack here. She was supposed to be my dog, but bonded with Dog Daddy from day one when they discovered they both like to drag around heavy objects and eat things they find in the woods.

I sure won't rush home anymore worried that the dog has to pee.

She also hasn't pooped in 24+ hours, but Dog Daddy will be home soon and he can take over.

Thanks everyone.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2005 06:33 am
I was interested to know that, indeed. Now you need to take all of the dogs, one at a time, to structured obedience training, so that they understand that you are the alpha female. Start with Dog Daddy--i'm sure you know all the techniques necessary to assure that he acknowledge's your status as alpha female.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2005 06:47 am
Green Witch - All of our dogs over the years have bonded with Bear. He happens to be the least one in the family to like dogs, and although I am the one to feed, water, take out, they have all chosen to sit with "Dad" to watch tv. They have all chosen to sleep cuddled up next to him. They have all waited for his command / approval to jump up on the bed at night. I could say it's okay, C'mon, and they would just look at me and wait for Bear to say it was okay.

With Bear in the hospital, I told Gracie "It's okay, c'mon" several times, but she wouldn't get on the bed last night. I finally said "Fine, sleep on the floor. Daddy won't be home tonight." She jumped up and went to his pillow and layed down. (Don't tell him!)

He works nights, so she should be used to him not being in the bed until 3 am. Dog instincts are just so fascinating. I have no doubt she knows something is up, just as LuLu did.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2005 06:53 am
I'm glad all is well with Lulu.

Hold your dominion.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2005 07:18 am
My dog manages to hold out until five minutes before I get home.

(or at least that's what she tells me)
0 Replies