I'm pretty good at missconscrewing stuff Laughing
0 Replies

raprap

Reply Sun 3 Jul, 2005 11:31 am
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Sun 3 Jul, 2005 11:36 am
roger wrote:
Split and laminated, bamboo makes a great bow.

This is what modern bows look like:

http://highcountryarchery.com/images/bows/box_sidewinder.gif

None are made with bamboo. Nor to my knowledge were any significant bows made of bamboo in past ages. English longbows were made of yew and turko-mongol bows of laminated horn, sinew, and wood. Bamboo to my thinking would be good for making spears of but that would be about it.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 3 Jul, 2005 11:54 am
Not all modern bows come with wheels, ya know.
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Sun 3 Jul, 2005 02:39 pm
Bamboo makes an arrow not bow.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 3 Jul, 2005 03:01 pm
hats off to ya rap. I was working for the Savannah R PM on a bunch of research projects including the gel and glass activities. Most of myactivity was in the Uranium Mill tailings UMTRA and Formerly utilized sites FUSRA. My mining geo background was primarily as a QA on Sandia, Livermore, ORENL, Brookhaven, and INEL.

I never got any tee shirts .Got a F**kin mug from Y-12 at Oak Ridge.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 3 Jul, 2005 04:19 pm
Back to Bamboo Weapons - it occurs to me the Yumi, the instrument of Japanese Kyudo, or Zen Archery, traditionally is made of laminated bamboo. Though modern composites are used to make most mass-market Yumi today, a concession to cost and convenience, real bamboo Yumi still are handcrafted, selling for big bucks, and genuine antique Yumi, with proven Samurai heritage, bring megabucks on the collector market, when they can be found. Stretching way back here, working from foggy memory, it seems to me the Yumi - the original, martial Yumi - are considered to be among the most powerful conventional bows ever designed, and were designated a 3-man bow, a 5-man bow, even a 7-man bow, for the number of men required to string one from its relaxed configuration. A Ya, or bamboo arrow, launched by a master Samurai archer reputedly could pass through a mounted rider's thigh, the horse, and exit through the rider's opposite thigh, at some considerable range.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 3 Jul, 2005 05:02 pm
And it was the English longbow (Welsh, actually), not the crossbow that brought the end to armored knights.

The bamboo bow I saw was in the modern self bow configuration, however.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 3 Jul, 2005 06:53 pm
I think the Japanese invented what we call caltrops using bamboo with long metal spikes . These were used to "slow down" mounted archers.
The Nexus

Reply Tue 11 Nov, 2008 05:22 pm
@farmerman,
i think that bamboo is great. down at the beach where we live, there is a bamboo forest and i will make things out of it.
0 Replies