WTF IS "MINDFULNESS"

Reply Mon 10 Feb, 2020 06:01 am
We were at a little party the other evening an the discussion of "mindfulness" came up but in a fashion that everyone there (except we two hicks) ere discussing it as if everyone knew what the hell they were saying.
Must I go out and buy any equipment?
Hire som hottie to touch me in various places?
Must I avoid eating anything that contains right handed proteins?

Is it, as Im suspecting, just another narcissistic way of life or folks who cant get off watching a sunrise?
Maybe Im too easily impressed with nature.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 7 • Views: 812 • Replies: 25

Setanta

Reply Mon 10 Feb, 2020 06:11 am
As nearly as I can tell, it means paying attention, and is the newest darling of the chattering classes. I often amuse myself by playing dumb, so I am not bothered by the mindful people very much, who seem to lack a sense of humor.
hightor

Reply Mon 10 Feb, 2020 06:14 am
@farmerman,
It's a popularized corruption of Buddhist philosophy...and if you are easily impressed with nature you probably don't need to know any more about it.
Setanta

Reply Mon 10 Feb, 2020 06:20 am
I'm much more concerned that the online Weather Network report tells me in place that it is 2 degrees C, and in another that it is 0, with a high of 1 predicted. I am paralyzed, I don't know how to dress.

I'm gettin' a book and goin' back to bed.
farmerman

Reply Mon 10 Feb, 2020 06:21 am
@hightor,
The way the folks talked there seemed to be some NEW way of seeing the world. I really dont know what the hell I was missing.
Thank you , I will try to find some old buddhist notes from a course in Hamina hamina yoga I took when I got divorced when I was waay younger.
Im jusy amazed how everyone else knows about this stuff and we just sit out there raisin sheep.

farmerman

Reply Mon 10 Feb, 2020 06:22 am
@Setanta,
we have this local weather guy that gives the temperatures in KELVIN.
Thats scary as hell if you dont come in on time.
farmerman

Reply Mon 10 Feb, 2020 06:25 am
@Setanta,
"paying attention"?
Thats it?

Hell , I like my ADD.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 10 Feb, 2020 06:51 am
@farmerman,
Oh yeah . . .

"An expected high today of 274 degrees . . . "
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 10 Feb, 2020 07:37 am
My understanding is mindfulness is supposed to be living in the moment. That is the short answer. I have been introduced to it in the sense of helping with anxiety and stress. In part for myself - more due to stress and even more so for my daughter who has panic attacks and suffers from anxiety. It is a method to focus on the moment in order to help you calm.

So kind of thinking of how when you are stressed or have anxiety your mind is going everywhere - mindfulness supposed to put you in the moment.

Things like breathing, going to a calming place in your mind (like thinking of being in a mountain side, listening to waves) whatever takes you away to just relaxing your mind.

When my daughter gets extreme anxiety - I will go up to her room tell her to close her eyes and start breathing slowly. Just concentrate on breathing in and out - my take is it is more of just focusing on the moment.

I think some of these people you speak of discussing mindfulness really do not understand what the purpose of it is -- -- I think this thought process went from therapists helping patients to learn relaxing techniques to become some sort of "fad". Rather than simply a technique to help people with extreme stress and anxiety. It could also be a result of our current society where you are so busy - that people are using this to slow down.

To me it reminds me of relaxing yoga - where you have quiet music and a soft voice going over how to relax your body one part of your body at a time. It really is not much different than alot of relaxing techniques - just a new name thus the fad sound to it.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 10 Feb, 2020 07:41 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

The way the folks talked there seemed to be some NEW way of seeing the world. I really dont know what the hell I was missing.
Thank you , I will try to find some old buddhist notes from a course in Hamina hamina yoga I took when I got divorced when I was waay younger.
Im jusy amazed how everyone else knows about this stuff and we just sit out there raisin sheep.

I think you nailed it - funny you mentioned yoga because that is exactly how I described it - I did not see this post before I mentioned it. Also your mention of how you just out there raisin sheep - again you nailed it - -- I think this thought process went from therapists helping patients to learn relaxing techinque this is a new name for people overwhelmed with the busy society - it is not a new way of dealing with it just a new name.
izzythepush

Reply Mon 10 Feb, 2020 09:33 am
@farmerman,
You're problem is you're not proactive enough, if you were you would have organically created a new paradigm to take mindfulness in your stride.
farmerman

Reply Mon 10 Feb, 2020 09:54 am
@izzythepush,
OK, I got it. I can make some serious cash selling Mindful sheep to folks who really want to live in the moment.
Sheep are always doing something really stupid and then they stand there lookin at you like "WHAAT WAS I JUST DOIN?"
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 10 Feb, 2020 10:03 am
I screwed around with Zen and mindfulness for a bit. I got nowhere with it.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Mon 10 Feb, 2020 10:08 am
@farmerman,
You don't like the vogue buzzwords that folk like to throw around to display they exist and are important and belong to X tribe? I do not either, but at least I am aware that my critique upon their behavior is exactly the same elitism sublimed into an upper level. These days I just stay shut. Let the river flow I say and keep raising sheep and being easily impressed with Nature. I guess we have that in common Farma.
farmerman

Reply Mon 10 Feb, 2020 11:06 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
Now feel much better.
I was feeling rather stupid when we were driving home. My wife just laughed at me , which didnt help either.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 10 Feb, 2020 11:08 am
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
I screwed around with Zen and mindfulness for a bit. I got nowhere with it

I think I shall adopt yours and Alb's views.
You both share the Frmrman red dot. Spend it wisely
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 10 Feb, 2020 11:09 am
@Linkat,
However "mindfulness" the way I heard it at the party, sounded more like "Whose on First"
Linkat

Reply Mon 10 Feb, 2020 11:17 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

However "mindfulness" the way I heard it at the party, sounded more like "Whose on First"

Funny how even as adults one can act like a teenager -- trying to fit in by adhering to most the most recent fad and trying to speak to it as if you are an active participant and part of the cool gang.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Mon 10 Feb, 2020 11:24 am
@farmerman,
Just make sure you don't put the radio on.

0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 11 Feb, 2020 08:25 pm
I enjoyed Zen for some of the koans for years and I still like a few. Zen Flesh, Zen Bones is a fine book. I particularly recall the one about the man getting chased by two tigers, who goes over a cliff to dangle from a tree root. One tiger remains at the top of the cliff while the second waits at the bottom. He sees to the side a ripe strawberry. The man plucks the berry and crams it into his mouth. "How delicious it tasted."

1. Forums
  2. » WTF IS "MINDFULNESS"
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/16/2024 at 12:28:17