One Child, Two Mothers, One Father

pragmatic

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2005 11:54 pm
aidan wrote:
What do Australians in general, or specifically you, if you don't feel comfortable speaking for everyone in your country, think of all the political/religious mayhem going on in the US right now?

Generally in Australia, people are against the war in Iraq which is a major US related issue for us (and probably the rest of the world.) I myself do not support it.

In regards to the religious matters - one thing that was a big issue was the gay rights to marry, as around the time Pres Bush declared he was not legalise them, the Australian government also passed similar legislation. The reaction to that was mixed and probably equal - 50-50 agree and disagree to gay rights to marriage. I myself prefer the scene of a traditional family but will not protest against the rights of other to marry who they wish.

How about UK? I know the majority of Europeans are against the war.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Fri 1 Jul, 2005 12:04 am
Yes - as am I. I think that contributed quite a lot to my willingness to leave the US and live abroad as a matter of fact. Part of it is that I have an adventurous spirit, but there is also a real distaste and disappointment really in so many of the directions I see my own country taking. And I wanted to have my children feel they are citizens of the world, not isolated and arrogant and power-hungry Americans. Sometimes I'm embarrassed to be American to be truthful - I just can't rectify a lot of the stances our government takes on many issues.

In terms of gay marriage - I agree. There is a large part of me that believes people should have the right to do what they feel is right for them - but again I have questions - probably residual from my religious upbringing - same with abortion. I don't think I would take away a woman's right to choose - but morally, I would never be able to have one myself. I guess I've just decided to let God be the judge in the end.

Well Pragmatic - always such a joy and so interesting to talk to you. I need to get my kids up and ready for school. Take care and post some more cases, okay? Fondly - Aidan
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Fri 1 Jul, 2005 12:34 am
http://k.domaindlx.com/joepatrick111/Pearl.jpg

Since you like dogs and puppies so much - here's one of mine - we call her Pearlie. She's wonderful! Later....
0 Replies

pragmatic

Reply Fri 1 Jul, 2005 12:38 am
How sincerely kind of you to show me that photo! So far I have only seen ehbeth's photos of her dogs - this now broadens the pics of dogs I have seen on a2k!!

What breed is she?
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Fri 1 Jul, 2005 03:06 am
She was a stray that we got from an animal shelter - so we're not really sure. She obviously has golden retriever - but she is petite - smaller boned than most goldens and has a longer nose - and is terrified of the water - if you can believe that of a retriever. I think she may have some border collie or some sort of shepherd mixed in.

Anyway - my life would be so different without her. She really is my constant and loyal companion. She and I have a symbiotic relationship. I know she loves me and she knows I love her- without any words ever being spoken- that knowledge is always there. It's wonderful - I hope you have the opportunity to have a dog someday since you love them so much.
0 Replies