Does your town or city collect compost? Or do you home compost?

Reply Tue 4 Feb, 2020 06:41 pm
We have a very limited city wide compost collection in NYC (let's call it a very long beta testing stage) where we (at least at our neighborhood) have a weekly compost collection.

Do you follow through with the composting or just through all food waste in the regular garbage?

Or do you home compost for gardening purposes?

I just learned about NOT composting meat or dairy. Though, I don't cook meat at home nor haven't thrown any dairy away to make that mistake (just a coincidence rather than an intentional understanding of the rules).

ehBeth

Reply Tue 4 Feb, 2020 07:40 pm
@tsarstepan,
I have a small village of home composters out back. they are great for the garden, terrific leachate.

there is some green bin collection done but we're not at full food compost collection yet. i'm not looking forward to another container. we already have green bins/black bins/ blue bins/ yard waste collection and beige mini-bins. some days I feel like just tossing everything into the black bin and letting it go
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 5 Feb, 2020 01:39 am
@tsarstepan,
The collection of "biodegradable waste" is regulated on the federal level since more than 20 years.
Here, where I live, we do so since more than 35 years - we've got a couple of composting plants run by towns and the district.
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Wed 5 Feb, 2020 04:23 am
Home composting is the only option where I am.
0 Replies

Joeblow

Reply Wed 5 Feb, 2020 04:52 am
@tsarstepan,
We've been able to compost all food for years in my region, which is great, because the backyard didn't really have enough sun for the bin I had. It's been... 5 years? 10? No, not 10 I guess, but I'll be damned, long enough ago that I don't remember. There's a weekly pick up along with the blue box, and garbage collection is every two weeks.
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Wed 5 Feb, 2020 12:20 pm
@tsarstepan,
I was amazed when a friend took me to the Springfield, Massachusetts municipal recycling facility and showed me the huge piles of compost in various stages of completion.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 5 Feb, 2020 01:23 pm
@hightor,

Drone-video of our local compost "factory".

A car boot "full to the brim" of garden mould costs 2.50 € (Same price for a 40 litre sack, you can get at the numerous recycling facilities in all the district's municipalities.)
tsarstepan

Reply Sun 17 May, 2020 04:57 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
NYC has recently suspended composting due to the COVID crisis and subsequent budgeting problems.

New City Council Bills Would Bring Back Composting Drop-Off Sites

Quote:
Two City Councilmembers are pushing legislation that would create composting and electronics waste drop-off sites to compensate for recycling reductions resulting from the COVID-19 pandemic.

Under the Community Organics and Recycling Empowerment (CORE) Act, the city would place three drop-off sites for organics and community recycling centers for hazardous or e-waste in each community district by June 2021. The 177 centers would be open 20 hours a week, at minimum.

"It particularly seems relevant right now because we're talking about budget cuts, we're talking about more people being at home, probably producing more organic waste that they're cooking and stuff like that," said Stuyvesant Town Councilmember Keith Powers, who's sponsoring the compost legislation. "The whole point here is to get the city better prepared, better organized around organic recycling and make sure that every community has access to it."
Region Philbis

Reply Mon 10 Aug, 2020 02:24 pm
@tsarstepan,

Composting Has Been Scrapped. These New Yorkers Picked Up the Slack.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/09/nyregion/nyc-compost-recycling.html
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Tue 11 Aug, 2020 03:15 am
Meanwhile, I've got an active compost pile going — interior temps are up to 160º. Kitchen waste, grass clippings, wood chips, and paper with a few supplements like bone meal and crab shells. I'll stop adding stuff in a few days and let it sit for two months before spreading it on garden beds.
0 Replies